Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dome on mine is still holding together.

HanHold.jpg

Hi All. New member to the forums here :)

I have the original Hot Toys ED209 and have just ordered the latest Hot Toys ED209 (in fact it is currently in the post as we speak!)

With ED209 dome issue has anyone tried using DuPont Krytox GPL 105 (Perfluoropolyether) as indicated in the opening post? (I have read many pages on this thread and can not seem to see if anyone has actually used it).

If so how did it go etc etc.?

I would also like to know where I can track down some DuPont Krytox GPL 105 (Perfluoropolyether) in its oil form in Australia. I have tried several places - like Volkswagen etc. - who use it on their door seals and weather strips - but they only have it is a spray can rather than a bottle. Ebay would be my next bet but I don't want to be importing chemicals into Australia (plus I want to know I'm getting the genuine product).

I'm also curious to know - are people who are experiencing the dome cracking just confined to people who have the figure out in the open on display or is it also effecting people who have opened the box for inspection then put the figure in a cupboard (only checking on it every now and again). (Note: I haven't checked on my original boxed ED209 for many years to answer that question myself :) )

Thanks All.

Hi All. New member to the forums here :)

I have the original Hot Toys ED209 and have just ordered the latest Hot Toys ED209 (in fact it is currently in the post as we speak!)

With ED209 dome issue has anyone tried using DuPont Krytox GPL 105 (Perfluoropolyether) as indicated in the opening post? (I have read many pages on this thread and can not seem to see if anyone has actually used it).

If so how did it go etc etc.?

I would also like to know where I can track down some DuPont Krytox GPL 105 (Perfluoropolyether) in its oil form in Australia. I have tried several places - like Volkswagen etc. - who use it on their door seals and weather strips - but they only have it is a spray can rather than a bottle. Ebay would be my next bet but I don't want to be importing chemicals into Australia (plus I want to know I'm getting the genuine product).

I'm also curious to know - are people who are experiencing the dome cracking just confined to people who have the figure out in the open on display or is it also effecting people who have opened the box for inspection then put the figure in a cupboard (only checking on it every now and again). (Note: I haven't checked on my original boxed ED209 for many years to answer that question myself :) )

Thanks All.

Hi bforce,

Welcome to the forums and all that mucky muck! :welcome1:

To answer your questions:

With ED209 dome issue has anyone tried using DuPont Krytox GPL 105 (Perfluoropolyether) as indicated in the opening post? (I have read many pages on this thread and can not seem to see if anyone has actually used it). To my knowledge no one has tried this method. It was provided by the OP much later than the other methods. If you decide to go this route, let us know how it works please.

I would also like to know where I can track down some DuPont Krytox GPL 105 (Perfluoropolyether) in its oil form in Australia. I have tried several places - like Volkswagen etc. - who use it on their door seals and weather strips - but they only have it is a spray can rather than a bottle. Ebay would be my next bet but I don't want to be importing chemicals into Australia (plus I want to know I'm getting the genuine product).Might I suggest decanting it in its spray form? If it has the same ingredients, the results would be the same.

I'm also curious to know - are people who are experiencing the dome cracking just confined to people who have the figure out in the open on display or is it also effecting people who have opened the box for inspection then put the figure in a cupboard (only checking on it every now and again). (Note: I haven't checked on my original boxed ED209 for many years to answer that question myself :) ) [I have had mine displayed since I got him last May-June. He has been in a glass display since the beginning; away from sunlight, etc. etc. I cannot speak for those who have him boxed up.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
David

Thanks David for the reply.

I thought about using the spray and/or decanting it - but at $90(AUD) for an 80-100ml can - where a lot of it will go to waste as a result, I decided not to buy it and to keep trying to source the actual liquid oil else where.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Thanks David for the reply.

I thought about using the spray and/or decanting it - but at $90(AUD) for an 80-100ml can - where a lot of it will go to waste as a result, I decided not to buy it and to keep trying to source the actual liquid oil else where.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.
may I suggest the Honda grease
I applied it a month or two after purchase(July or August of last year) and still no cracking
Cheaper too

Don't know if this has been answered already. Does the ED-209 fit in a detolf? if so, can you also fit the robocop figure in as well?

Interesting. Something else for me to add to the arsenal...Maybe I'll try it on my big chap; I wonder if you can apply it to painted rubber?

Thanks!

any of you folks have a used honda shin etsu to go? i'm having a hard time finding one down this part of the world. :/
as far as silicone lubricants go, does brand really matter?
i can easily get hold of this...
157094348_full.jpg

any thoughts?

OK - here is some information on where to get products that have been mentioned, to use in preserving the rubber on ED-209 or other items.

This is current as of April 2015 and suited to people situated in Australia (I have been calling/emailing around for the past few weeks trying to find places and appropriate products).

DuPont Krytox GPL 105 (Perfluoropolyether) -
This is extremely hard to come by in Australia and is very expensive if you can buy it.

Fluid Seals
Home | Fluid Seals
Is the number one distributor of DuPont Krytox GPL 105 in Australia.
Unfortunately they only sell the product in 1Kg (yes kilograms not milliliters)
It costs AUD $725.00 + GST plus postage $15 + GST (price is also subject to availability)
Takes about 6-8 weeks for delivery

Harrison
Welcome to the Harrison Group of Companies
Harrison is a secondary supplier (they get the product from Fluid Seals)
Harrison sell Krytox GPL 105 in jars of 50g (yes grams)
It costs AUD $90 per jar + GST (delivery included)
Minimum order is two jars
So $90 x 2 = $180 + GST = $198
3% surcharge if paying by credit card
Takes about 2-4 days for delivery
Note - they do NOT deliver to private addresses or PO Boxes.

Volkswagen
Sell Krytox but only in Spray Can form
Approx AUD $92 per can
Note - I'm note sure if it is actually GPL 105

Mitsubishi, Honda, Porsche, Audi do not stock this product.

Ebay
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
Take your chance getting the genuine product and getting it into Australia through customs.

Honda Shin-Etsu Grease -

This product has been has been discontinued in Australia.

Note - I have heard conflicting stories about whether silicon base products are beneficial vs detrimental to rubber (I'll guess we'll find out in about 10 years time if ED-209's dome is holding up or not).

Ebay
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
Again take your chance getting the genuine product and getting it into Australia through customs.

Einszett 1Z Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pfledge -

This is a water based product (from Germany) that protects and preserves rubber. It also should not attract dirt and dust like grease products can.

Can be purchased in Australia. I have come across two places that sell the item.

Car Care Products
https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/einszett_1z/rubber_care_stick_gumme_pfledge

Wax It
https://www.waxit.com.au/products/einszett-gummi-pflege-stick

Here are two videos about the product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TXP2F4CDrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRsMAfHrd-w

Note: I have just visited and purchased two bottles of Einszett 1Z Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pfledge from the Car Care Products store in Melbourne. They are very friendly people and I warned them they may have an influx of purchases on this particular product :) They will be moving from their current bricks and mortar location in about a months time (May 2015).

Hope that helps some people out there.

So with all the issues this figure has, would you guys still recommend it? I have a chance to get one for a nice deal, but the rubber thing really bothers me. Even if the dome and other small rubber parts broke down a year from now it would still be a huge letdown. But I love ED, and have wanted one of these since the old Hot Toys days, so I'm really torn about it.

Also, has anyone ever received one this long after release and discovered dome issues right out of the box?

All I can say is that I've had mine since day one, Mod Podged the dome and joints and the dome hasn't changed one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So with all the issues this figure has, would you guys still recommend it? I have a chance to get one for a nice deal, but the rubber thing really bothers me. Even if the dome and other small rubber parts broke down a year from now it would still be a huge letdown. But I love ED, and have wanted one of these since the old Hot Toys days, so I'm really torn about it.

Also, has anyone ever received one this long after release and discovered dome issues right out of the box?
If you can get a good deal, do it
Apply silicone or mod pudge just in case, rubber aside, it's an epic figure

Like I said a few times in the past in here:
Liqui Moly rubber care and no problems.
Almost a year now, giving him a good scrubt every 2 months and no problems.
:)
That´s the stuff I use:

100-xl.jpg

Back