Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think HT deliberately used an asian voice and rubber dome that will crack in time for their ED-209 v3.0 which will have the accurate voice and this time durable plastic dome. Because why would anyone buy another ED-209 down the line if this ED-209 v2.0 was perfect? Screw customers over equals double the money in their pockets.

There was NO reason to use rubber on the dome in the first place because of the issue with the v1.0 which I'm sure HT knows and the silly asian voiceover adds to the insult.

I trucking hate you hot toys!

I posted this in the damage thread, if anyone wants to try and slow the process.

If anybody is stuck with ed cause way past able to send it back,(like myself) this is some of the best stuff to use on rubber products that's available. Silicone grease is the best rot prevention for rubber. Just need to make sure the type you buy is clear and not white else it will yellow over time.

This particular one is used for automotive on convertibles and window seal rubber channels so it gets a lot of wind and heat on it. Does a great job and should last well on a figure contained in relatively temperate conditions on display.

It appears the ed rot issue is from oxidation. So if true, the silicone will seal the rubber from oxidation if applied properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1405913102&sr=1-1&keywords=Rubber+silicone+grease#productDetails

You are right. And if that works for you, great.
I'd rather use the 100€ I'd have to pay for shipping, to make or buy replacement parts.
Thinking about it, it's probably going to be around another 400 to make this guy perfect.
Replacement silicone parts, deeper mouth, antropoid's decals and a new sound chip.
After Robocop I'm done with Hot Toys. Unless they make a cain.:slap
And if I ever come near any of their stores, I'll have someone run in and get me as much of their stuff as he can carry.
That way, we'll get even someday.

They could have just used that silicone that is used for making these molds for cakes. That stuff can sustain the heat in an oven and lasts forever. It is also cheap as hell. Probably still more expensive than Hot Toys rubber.

I don't get all these "what's the point of sending it back", "it's not worth the hassle to send it back", "I'm keeping just in case there's never a new ED-209"? Huh?

If someone here has the opportunity to send it back for a refund, ****ing do it! Who would want to keep something in their collection that is visibly damaged and deteriorating before their very eyes? Does somehow owning an ED-209 just override that? I don't get that at all. If I had this guy, I couldn't even bear to look at it, let alone keep it boxed up someplace. I'd try and take full advantage of the company or distributor taking it back. Even if it was a regular dealer, I'd still try. That's the risk they take selling these things, even if it isn't their fault.

When I had the scratches on my Batmobile, yeah, Sideshow sort of made it a hassle to send it back to them. They'd try and talk you out of it by phone call, measly partial credits, etc. But after it was all said and done, you ship that sucker back and get your money back, there is a moment of relief. Sideshow ended up reimbursing me fully (price and shipping) and I went through the ordeal twice before getting the perfect, undamaged Batmobile. With ED-209 though, it doesn't sound like a "perfect" version is even possible. I wouldn't take the cracks or deterioration sitting down. I'd try anything to get it off my hands and get my money back. I couldn't risk keeping such an eye sore when this is inevitable,

eddome002.jpg

Besides. If people just take it and accept what they've got, Hot Toys will continue to pull the same shenanigans. If you put pressure on your seller (be it Sideshow the distributor, an online retail store, an ebay seller, etc.), that will make them go up the totem pole to Hot Toys, putting pressure on them.

Excellent post, DiFab.
:exactly:

That´s the fell I get from many guys here.
Don´t mistake me...I don´t want to rain on anyone´s parade, but just posting photos, arguing, keeping it, more photos and arguing and in the end fixing it yourself isn´t helping here at all.
We need to combine our efforts and show HT that they need to step up on that.
The chinese customers can´t do much, cause they don´t HAVE FB and stuff, but we do.

Let´s make sure HT gets sent back a whole cluster**** of cracked ED´s and that they NEED to do something.

I posted this in the damage thread, if anyone wants to try and slow the process.

If anybody is stuck with ed cause way past able to send it back,(like myself) this is some of the best stuff to use on rubber products that's available. Silicone grease is the best rot prevention for rubber. Just need to make sure the type you buy is clear and not white else it will yellow over time.

This particular one is used for automotive on convertibles and window seal rubber channels so it gets a lot of wind and heat on it. Does a great job and should last well on a figure contained in relatively temperate conditions on display.

It appears the ed rot issue is from oxidation. So if true, the silicone will seal the rubber from oxidation if applied properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1405913102&sr=1-1&keywords=Rubber+silicone+grease#productDetails

LOL, that's what I've been suggesting. Silicone oil!

Oh man, I just checked mine again.

Now I have a quasi complete, horizontal crack from left to right on the front.

Cracks are starting to appear on the rear of the dome.

I think I'll wait if Mike Crawford will get something useful out of HT or SSC at SDCC.
If not, I'll return mine to my retailer.

Man, DAMN YOU HT!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405941785.508068.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405941803.697469.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405941811.344835.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405941826.184770.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405941833.763669.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405941846.523431.jpg

wow ... such a big let down.
i was soooo excited to be able to buy one of these, because i missed the first edition because i was a student back than. i couldn't wait till i get my hands to my own one and now, a few days before i can get one of these here in germany this tragedy happens ...

i just cancled my pre-order and i'm really bummed about this whole fiasco.
but i am not willing to put 380€ (~ $520) on the table to see my precious getting cracks in a matter of weeks ...

Oh man, I just checked mine again.

Now I have a quasi complete, horizontal crack from left to right on the front.

Cracks are starting to appear on the rear of the dome.

I think I'll wait if Mike Crawford will get something useful out of HT or SSC at SDCC.
If not, I'll return mine to my retailer.

Man, DAMN YOU HT!!!
View attachment 121741
View attachment 121742
View attachment 121743
View attachment 121744
View attachment 121745
View attachment 121746

I got some pretty good eyes and I can tell you guys what that warning lable says:
Warning!
rotting rubber

Good God I cant believe what I'm seeing. For those of you still in denial about the condition of your ED-209, get ready to take it in the shorts.
It looks to me like the dumb ****s at Hot Toys are just plain stupid!

Anyone know if the the new Ed dome/main body has the same size than the previous ed?
Maybe someone who has both figures, or even one of those replacement dome made a while ago.
In case it does people who already did replacement dome can re use the same cast and dont need to have the new Ed.

I don't think the dome will be a problem. The other joint covers are harder to do.
We should ask chronicle what they used for the original ed 209 dome.

Someone did the joint cover in hard plastic and they were fine.
Chronicle will probably laugh and tell that they are selling the best non rotting 1/6 ED209 buy from us.

Also here is a link to an album from the dedicated facebook page containg pictures (updated as they are available) and infos.
It can be seen and shared even if you are not on facebook so please spread the word.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...73741829.1517114591841715&type=1&l=5112ee0a25

Last edited:
Someone should tell Mark Hamill on twitter to say something about it!!!

He posted a pic of ED when he first got it! That'll show em!

Back