Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we should stay in this thread.
This figure is ****ed anyways.... as it seems for now. ;)

But I also appreciate the new thread. :)

Thanks just trying to be proactive.

I was thinking to myself though that it's going to be really hard to have any kind of normal conversation about this figure at this point. It probably wouldn't hurt to try anyways I guess.

Hi guys.

Have talked to my retailer tonight.

He meant we should publicly press as hard against HT as possible and create enough piblicity because if only the retailers complain nothing would happen.

He said that unfortunately the attitude how Hot Toys are denying our requests for help would be typical for the peoples mindset over there.

So we should definitely keep our efforts up.

Agreed, lets not stop now, the Facebook page was a great idea too. Surely they or someone who is close to them will notice eventually.

There is an advantage to keeping all posts on this thread, it means anyone coming to the forum for the first time and checking the MMS204 thread, will immediately become aware of the problems and how widespread they are.. at this stage unless Hot Toys come up with a solution for customers, its unlikely anyone will be posting much in the way of positivity concerning this figure.

Just spoke to Tessa at SS who says they haven't received many return requests on this at all. We must be a very small sample size.

No they just lie. Why would they tell you how big the problem is? That wouldn't be in their best interests and lead to more returns.
And a lot of people wouldn't have noticed the damage yet, I wouldn't have unless I had seen this thread.

SS are probably hoping customers don't notice the problem while still in warranty.

Yes, Sideshow also say they QC all their statues, yet all of mine have arrived with problems :rotfl

this is upsetting to the point I made a profile to comment. I did not buy ed209 and did not intend to but this is hot toys at their worst imo. I've been collecting them for years and have seen plenty of the QC issues. My dx02 is still soaking in a shoebox somewhere. Like all those previous times hot toys does nothing and they have willingly rigged it that way. Returns or replacements can only be made through official channels, which are basically just Hot Toys/toys hunters in Hk and sideshow in CA, which guarantees only a portion of their products CAN be returned, while approx. 90%+ of all hot toys stock sells out. They still sell because people don't seem to be deterred enough by quality issues to actually stop buying what comes next. Me too. i'm not going to stop and I NEED to believe an issue with one figure has nothing to do with another. That allows the problems to go by as hot toys holds their breath knowing almost no issue will last or damage their image. sucky ed209 + great iron man figures = still having a great reputation overall unfortunately. Something needs to be shaken up.

I take your point.. however these issues are already hitting Hot Toys sales:

I will not buy any HT figure with a rubberised body, because of earlier QC issues.. eg. No Hulk
I will not buy any HT figure with rubberised clothing/body armor, because of earlier QC issues.. eg. No Batman
I will not buy any HT Iron Man with red pants, because of earlier QC issues
I did not Pre-order the MMS204 ED-209, because of earlier QC issues
I cancelled my Pre-order for the Chitauri Double pack, after news there might be QC issues with a part of the headsculpt and the helmets.
My Pre-order for the Mk42 is currently hanging in the balance over the shoulder QC problem.

It is extremely unlikely I am unique in taking this rigorous attitude to poor quality control, or being extremely cynical about Hot Toys raising their game on future figures covered by these issues..
Hot Toys are quite simply too expensive for me to tolerate figures that have (or the the potential to have) inferior build quality.. no matter how much I like the license, or the figure.

So Hot Toys is already losing sales over these problems whether they chose to acknowledge their QC issues or not.. and the more often it happens, the more sales they are going to lose, as customers (instead of pre-ordering) start to wait and see what the QC is like on releases.. or just avoid certain types of figure releases altogether.

Anyone who has been hit by problems with MMS204, is currently highly unlikely to trust Hot Toys use of rubber on future figures.. so either Hot Toys steps up to the plate and helps customers, or HT's pre-orders on certain kinds of figures is going to take an absolute pounding after this QC debacle.

I take your point.. however these issues are already hitting Hot Toys sales:

I will not buy any HT figure with a rubberised body, because of earlier QC issues.. eg. No Hulk
I will not buy any HT figure with rubberised clothing/body armor, because of earlier QC issues.. eg. No Batman
I will not buy any HT Iron Man with red pants, because of earlier QC issues
I did not Pre-order the MMS204 ED-209, because of earlier QC issues
I cancelled my Pre-order for the Chitauri Double pack, after news there might be QC issues with a part of the headsculpt and the helmets.
My Pre-order for the Mk42 is currently hanging in the balance over the shoulder QC problem.

It is extremely unlikely I am unique in taking this rigorous attitude to poor quality control, or being extremely cynical about Hot Toys raising their game on future figures covered by these issues..
Hot Toys are quite simply too expensive for me to tolerate figures that have (or the the potential to have) inferior build quality.. no matter how much I like the license, or the figure.

So Hot Toys is already losing sales over these problems whether they chose to acknowledge their QC issues or not.. and the more often it happens, the more sales they are going to lose, as customers (instead of pre-ordering) start to wait and see what the QC is like on releases.. or just avoid certain types of figure releases altogether.

Anyone who has been hit by problems with MMS204, is currently highly unlikely to trust Hot Toys use of rubber on future figures.. so either Hot Toys steps up to the plate and helps customers, or HT's pre-orders on certain kinds of figures is going to take an absolute pounding after this QC debacle.

You could also add in Catwoman and the 89 Batmobile due to their respective issues if they were ones you were interested in.

Ok mine still looks like this. Anyone see the signs of deterioration? Gotta send SS some pics.

At the moment that dome looks ok, but the fractures in the rubber seem to start off really small on other peeps figures, then escalate fast.. you might be better off with photos of any deterioration on the rubber gaitors

You could also add in Catwoman and the 89 Batmobile due to their respective issues if they were ones you were interested in.

Good point, if I had the space to display them, both the HT '89 Batmobile and Tumbler would have been inspection / collection in person, purchases, after release.. the sheer size of those vehicles lends itself to damage in transit, added to which some of HT's build and logistics decisions didn't help.

To be fair to HT, Catwoman's headset was always going to be at risk of damage, due to the delicate original design.. bit like Boba Fett's or the shoulder antenna on some of the Star Wars Clones (there is a Commander Wolffe review on YouTube where the shoulder antenna is clearly complete before the reviewer demonstrates removing the figure's head, but only half of it remains afterwards).. I also have a diecast, Hurricane fighter plane model, which is extremely difficult to handle, due to several small, fragile accessories.. which although they add to the accuracy of the piece, I personally would either not have included, or made easily removable for practicality's sake, if I had been on the Corgi design team.

If the MMS204 issues are as widespread as it appears, Hot Toys really do need to come up with a satisfactory resolution for customers..otherwise, having a v.2 figure which not only replicates a well known problem with the v.1, but adds a whole new set of problems.. is going to put a serious dent in customer confidence.

At the moment that dome looks ok, but the fractures in the rubber seem to start off really small on other peeps figures, then escalate fast.. you might be better off with photos of any deterioration on the rubber gaitors

Good point, if I had the space to display them, both the HT '89 Batmobile and Tumbler would have been inspection / collection in person, purchases, after release.. the sheer size of those vehicles lends itself to damage in transit, added to which some of HT's build and logistics decisions didn't help.

To be fair to HT, Catwoman's headset was always going to be at risk of damage, due to the delicate original design.. bit like Boba Fett's or the shoulder antenna on some of the Star Wars Clones (there is a Commander Wolffe review on YouTube where the shoulder antenna is clearly complete before the reviewer demonstrates removing the figure's head, but only half of it remains afterwards).. I also have a diecast, Hurricane fighter plane model, which is extremely difficult to handle, due to several small, fragile accessories.. which although they add to the accuracy of the piece, I personally would either not have included, or made easily removable for practicality's sake, if I had been on the Corgi design team.

If the MMS204 issues are as widespread as it appears, Hot Toys really do need to come up with a satisfactory resolution for customers..otherwise, having a v.2 figure which not only replicates a well known problem with the v.1, but adds a whole new set of problems.. is going to put a serious dent in customer confidence.

I wish I had the luxury of examining larger pieces like the Batmobile but I don't have a LCS anywhere near me that sells Hot Toys. I took a chance on mine from eBay and ended up with a couple of the standard scuffs that the early batch came with. At least I got a decent price and 2 day shipping for free for what it's worth.

As far as ED goes, I just thought there's no way a company could make the same dumb mistake twice. I was dumb for thinking that.

just hope theres no rubber problems with the upcoming Robocop figure release

Last edited:
Pretty sure I have a first batch Ed, no cracks yet
I think it's a material issue, not a batch issue

More from ToyHQ's Facebook today:Just checked out our Ed209 for any faults and all ok. Must of been just the first batch.

That's a retarded thing to say, they should be pulled up on that. Firstly it's already proven not to be a "batch" issue and secondly how could they have checked a problem which will only develope after a few weeks out of the box?

That's really crap of them to lead customers astray like that. I was on their website today, but if that's how they operate They can count me as a lost customer.

Pretty sure I have a first batch Ed, no cracks yet
I think it's a material issue, not a batch issue

It is. And I would put money on the fact you have tiny tiny cracks developing right now. Have you tried a macro lens or magnifying glass? My dome still looks fine to the naked eye, but you can see the damage starting in the arm joints.

Those pictures where they state 'just a batch issue' those are not even the HTs ED-209!!!! :slap Are my eyes deceiving me? (ugh yeah, you just stated that in your post, sorry) What a huge steaming pile of pooh pooh.

That's a retarded thing to say, they should be pulled up on that. Firstly it's already proven not to be a "batch" issue and secondly how could they have checked a problem which will only develope after a few weeks out of the box?

That's really crap of them to lead customers astray like that. I was on their website today, but if that's how they operate They can count me as a lost customer.

Yes I asked if they could guarantee that mine would not crack, he replied, "we will check it for you if you want", to which I replied, "no meant in a few months" Lets see what he says to that.

His reply " I don't know as i didn't test them. Even Hot toys won't give you that answer" :rotfl

Back