Hot Toys – MMS202D04 - 1/6th scale RoboCop Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After having this figure on my shelf since its release, I'm going to take the plunge and color it accurately.
I'm doing it without the need for messy spray paints, which is a huge relief.......... Instead, I'll be using simple colored felt-tip pens; sea green, cobalt blue, hot pink, and lavender. The surface of the armor has just enough fine texture that I can lightly stain it by rubbing the ink into the existing chrome paint. I did some small test areas on my BD version, so the battle damage would hide any mistakes. It worked great!

First, I loaded the Bluray for reference so I could be sure which color belongs where. Then I got an old electric tooth brush with extra interchangeable brush heads; they are round, about 1 centimeter in diameter. I coated the tips of one brush with blue ink from the felt tip pen. I turned on the electric brushing action, and used a piece of cardboard to scrub most of the ink off. Then, with only an extremely small amount of ink remaining in the brush, I worked it into the armor surface. It goes on as a transparent stain, very subtle, yet visible and realistic. The staining action has a perfect fading gradient to it- I love how it looks!

I'm going to start work on the clean ROBOCOP version soon, and I'll post pics when it's done.

Last edited:
Cool idea with the tooth brush, should polish and paint at the same time.

The only thing that could go wrong is if you concentrate on one area and burnish the factory paint back to the undercoat/plastic/diecast. Watch out for the plastic bits, they'll be more sensitive.

After having this figure on my shelf since its release, I'm going to take the plunge and color it accurately.
I'm doing it without the need for messy spray paints, which is a huge relief.......... Instead, I'll be using simple colored felt-tip pens; sea green, cobalt blue, hot pink, and lavender. The surface of the armor has just enough fine texture that I can lightly stain it by rubbing the ink into the existing chrome paint. I did some small test areas on my BD version, so the battle damage would hide any mistakes. It worked great!

First, I loaded the Bluray for reference so I could be sure which color belongs where. Then I got an old electric tooth brush with extra interchangeable brush heads; they are round, about 1 centimeter in diameter. I coated the tips of one brush with blue ink from the felt tip pen. I turned on the electric brushing action, and used a piece of cardboard to scrub most of the ink off. Then, with only an extremely small amount of ink remaining in the brush, I worked it into the armor surface. It goes on as a transparent stain, very subtle, yet visible and realistic. The staining action has a perfect fading gradient to it- I love how it looks!

I'm going to start work on the clean ROBOCOP version soon, and I'll post pics when it's done.

Very interesting! I'd love to see some WIP and good luck!

Cool idea with the tooth brush, should polish and paint at the same time.

The only thing that could go wrong is if you concentrate on one area and burnish the factory paint back to the undercoat/plastic/diecast. Watch out for the plastic bits, they'll be more sensitive.
I thought about that. The brush heads are old and used, which made them softer and a little curly at the ends. The amount of stain I need will be applied long before friction becomes a danger. To help create a good fading effect, I can just rub it with my fingers. The brushing action isn't very vast anyway- not like the danger of a Dremel buffer- not even close. I will be careful with small plastic parts though; I might apply the stain with a cotton swab to those areas, then rub with a clean swab.

20170716_145220.jpg
20170716_150301.jpg
20170716_151321.jpg
20170716_151321.jpg

Attachments

• 20170716_151219.jpg
    20170716_151219.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 236
Is this figure worth picking up? Been wanting a Robo for a while but can't bring myself to buy one due to the finishing [emoji27]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the batteries in the remote for Robocop are lr936, but does anyone know an equivalent to that? I tried looking it up, but it doesn't seem to be very common. (Not for energizer anyway)

Thanks. For whatever reason that battery isn't sold in stores though. Anyone else have this issue?

Actually yes. I remember buying a multipack of flat batteries - which had every size except the ones Hot Toys uses in their figures.

I used the battery size chart that a few stores have and not one of them matched up to the LR936.

Back