Hot Toys–MMS142-TRON: Legacy:Sam Flynn Cycle Spec +pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want too go to far topic or start an argument. I also don't doubt that at the time of the film's release there were Disney suits who were rightfully concerned.
I was under the understanding however, that they softened towards a Tron 3 as time went by and it turned out while the film's opening wasn't as strong as they wanted it had ok legs at the theater. By the time the film's theatrical run had completed, it turned out that it made something of a profit and director, Joseph Kosinski, earned the distinction of having made the highest grossing film ever directed by a first time feature film director. It turned out the box office take was about the same as Batman Begins, Star Trek, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. These were films with a built in audience. Tron: Legacy also had a successful home video release.
As far as a script for Tron 3, I don't think its a rumor to keep interest alive. Disney is actually paying David DiGilio to write it. So they are putting some money into it. Now a script doesn't mean there will be a finished film made, But I do believe a Tron 3 is being toyed with at Disney. I could be totally wrong but that it what it looks like to me at this stage in the game.

No mate, it didn't actually make any real profit. Most of the figures you have seen didn't account for 150-200million that Disney spent marketing the film. They don't make these figures public. But if you go to one of the insider sites like "The Tracking Board" you can read the reality of the fiasco. It was very similar to the John Carter ____ up. Tron Legacy had to do Avengers style box office for disney to consider another sequel.

Kosinski was supposed to move onto "The Black Hole" directly after Legacy, with Disney producer Sean Bailey. Who until then was considered the young hotshot who would bring the live action department billings of dollars. The two were sidelined by Disney after Legacy. To the point that Disney brought John Lasseter/Pixar in to re-write new scenes as they were actually still doing pickups on Legacy. Bailey and Joseph were furious, but played ball with the press. Yes, Disney have someone working on a script, they have done since before Legacy was released. That is peanuts to Disney who have several talent agencies "on account" for their needs when they want some work done. I know this because I share the same agent as Joseph.

I would love to be wrong mate, I guess only time will tell.
:1-1:

Anyway, back to toys.

Im curious about the weight. Does it seem pretty solid?
Yes, very solid, it's not very heavy though. couple of pounds at a guess.

Very nice. And I trust there are two engines spinning in the see through compartment?
Yes, noise is awful though, thankfully you can operate the lights on their own.

Huh, I wonder why they decided to sink so much money into Tron Uprising then. Have you checked out the cartoon? The production quality is OUT OF THIS WORLD!
Yes, it is awesome. Hopefully it will have a blu-ray release. Uprising was planned and begun production before Legacy was released. They had already invested quite a bit of time and money in it.
Alas, I'm not sure it's viewership will push it, it seems like figures are falling by the week. :(

If Tron 3 depended on Uprising's ratings, which some speculate that it does, I think it would be a dead prospect. It sure is popular with critics and fans but it appears no one else is watching it. I don't know if summer is a poor time release a new show to kids or what it is.

I really hope Uprising does well. I'm enjoying it so far and am curious how Tron becomes Rinzler and how he's actually around in this. Kinda lame they had to create a character to be the main baddie but hardly show Clu. Copout IMO.

If Tron 3 depended on Uprising's ratings, which some speculate that it does, I think it would be a dead prospect. It sure is popular with critics and fans but it appears no one else is watching it. I don't know if summer is a poor time release a new show to kids or what it is.

Such a pity it's just awesome. But hell we are lucky to get it, even if it's short-lived.

Do you know if the engine compartment lights up?
no, it doesn't

I don't want too go to far topic or start an argument. I also don't doubt that at the time of the film's release there were Disney suits who were rightfully concerned.
I was under the understanding however, that they softened towards a Tron 3 as time went by and it turned out while the film's opening wasn't as strong as they wanted it had ok legs at the theater. By the time the film's theatrical run had completed, it turned out that it made something of a profit and director, Joseph Kosinski, earned the distinction of having made the highest grossing film ever directed by a first time feature film director. It turned out the box office take was about the same as Batman Begins, Star Trek, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. These were films with a built in audience. Tron: Legacy also had a successful home video release.
As far as a script for Tron 3, I don't think its a rumor to keep interest alive. Disney is actually paying David DiGilio to write it. So they are putting some money into it. Now a script doesn't mean there will be a finished film made, But I do believe a Tron 3 is being toyed with at Disney. I could be totally wrong but that it what it looks like to me at this stage in the game.

This :lecture
I read something similar. I have faith in TRON 3, along with a lot of other people.

And Rory, I didn't know you had the maxx diorama!

I am curious how Tron becomes Rinzler and how he's actually around in this.

Tron was turned into Rinzler after CLU started his coup. He couldn't turn against CLU unless he stood a chance of winning.
When i first saw Legacy and till last week when i discovered the new show, i always thought it would be that Tron was "rebooted" by CLU back to factory standard, and was just a sentry program like he was supposed to be in the original Tron movie(I assumed the name change was more than trying to throw the audience off track, but was a way for CLU to erase all the Flynn/Tron rhetoric that the rank and file programs would believe). After all, Flynn had(perhaps foolishly), given CLU almost god-like powers within the grid so he could continue the work for Flynn when he came back to the real world every night, so CLU had the ability. Of course it turns out that Tron was subjugated by CLU and forced to work as a sentry to the Grid. It's cool to know that Tron was unable to stand up to CLU, so mighty was he, and that he had needed help, but that he was still, essentially, Tron on the inside. It's great to see backstory now that shows Tron WAS still himself to an extent, but was damaged with his fight with CLU, and needed to try and forment a revolution to destabilise CLU's reign.
It's a neat notion.
And it's great to see Tron back. Especially in the "Ben Kenobi" role as the wise old teacher.

I was told directly by Disney Features that no way was Tron 3 ever happening. This was just after Legacy had (in their eyes) bombed in theaters.

Legacy was a huge gamble for Disney, one which they are not likely to repeat. They are just too expensive as movies to produce, and the audience is fickle and somewhat unknown to Disney.

They keep it ticking along (draft scripts, rumors, these cost nothing) to keep the "brand" alive. It keeps some revenue flowing in from the Tron product. It's John Carter all over again.

There will not be a Tron 3.

I said it then and I say it now. I wish it wasn't so.
:(

A few phone pics...
IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg

Holy cow dude!!
You got the Max replicas display!! That looks so awesome!!
Wow!!! :panic::panic::panic:

Too nice want a base for my disney light cycle.
@maxreplicasHave you made any retro bases for the spenser tron figures?

Hope theres a tron 3 dos'nt look promising reading back posts but you can always hope.

Hey Rory...I think I enjoy your insights into this whole Tron situation as much as i do your photos. You had to be the bearer of bad new with another HT figure with assembly challenges...LOL! Still dreading putting my coat on Red Skull.

They look really beautiful in person. Are you getting one Gipetto?
If so you will just love it (apart from getting the head "on").

:lol

I'm definitely getting one brother! :rock

I never got the nerve to fully cancel. Something just kept telling me to just wait b/c I knew I wanted it. So glad I waited b/c it turned out fantastic!

...Still dreading putting my coat on Red Skull.

I'm looking forward to it honestly. I don't think anything can be as tough as what I just went through trying to put together the Art Figures: The King (aka Aragorn at Black Gates) figure. Everything was real working buttons and such, no snaps and so many layers (4 or 5layers I think :thud:).

I'm definitely getting one brother! :rock

I never got the nerve to fully cancel. Something just kept telling me to just wait b/c I knew I wanted it. So glad I waited b/c it turned out fantastic!

I'm looking forward to it honestly. I don't think anything can be as tough as what I just went through trying to put together the Art Figures: The King (aka Aragorn at Black Gates) figure. Everything was real working buttons and such, no snaps and so many layers (4 or 5layers I think :thud:).

Cool man, you will have a big smile on your face as you open the box..
Hard to believe that we finally got a 1/6 Tron Lightcycle!
:hi5:

Hey Rory...I think I enjoy your insights into this whole Tron situation as much as i do your photos. You had to be the bearer of bad new with another HT figure with assembly challenges...LOL! Still dreading putting my coat on Red Skull.
Haha, the head on this is up there difficulty-wise with Red Skull's overcoat! Thanks man.

:wave

Last edited:
Back