Hot Toy DX08 - BATMAN - The Joker (Jack Nicholson) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno bout the eyebrows thing..

Really? Fair enough.

They look 'applied' or even dare I say.. plucked, on the figure.. if you know what I mean. Jack's aren't as perfect as that - they're definitely as animated & distinct as that, but more natural looking - just left 'as they are' with a little paint over them. It looks like they've used a tiny bit of artistic license to me.

You've got a point with the neck & futzing the collar etc too..

Really? Fair enough.

They look 'applied' or even dare I say.. plucked, on the figure.. if you know what I mean. Jack's aren't as perfect as that - they're definitely as animated & distinct as that, but more natural looking - just left 'as they are' with a little paint over them.

I'm in no way bashing your view or defending Hot Toys here, but, this is an idealized version of Jack Nicholson as the Joker. Look at the different shots of him throughout the film on google, his eyebrows and his overall appearance change from production shots to film stills. There's nothing consistent about it.

Hot Toys made an idealized version of the character and the actor. It's not going to have messy eyebrows, or hair on the neck, or pock marks, or other human flaws. It's a collectible action figure. It's the same reason the Keaton Batman doesn't have the Nike swoosh on the boot (other than licensing reasons). It captures the movie magic element of The Joker portrayed by Jack Nicholson not Jack Nicholson the actor as the Joker. As for the neck, like a-dev stated, all it takes is a little futzing. There have been many different pics from a whole lot of different angles and some shots, the neck looks fine, and other times, it looks unnatural.

That's another thing I think people don't really understand on here. Every shot is inconsistent with the next, even from the same photographer. We forget that this thing is getting blown up from it's natural 1/6 scale, in HD, on our computer screens. That's not even taking into account the differences in angles and perspectives.

The in hand experience is THE experience.

Btw, I wasn't expecting hairs on his neck - or in his nose for that matter..

Some day, some day. :lol

But yeah, this is definitely one of Hot Toys' best figures. I don't know what that 8th wonder is smoking saying it doesn't look like him. Everyone was practically in full, 100% agreement that this was Hot Toys' best likeness until recently it seems.

Even "perfect" figures have their "flaws". I own a lot of 1/6 figures but my favorite and what I consider best is definitely the '89 Batman. You know what though? He's not perfect. That PERS panel on the back of the head is annoying and there are a few, minor faults that bug me but it's still the best there is.

We're so quick to forget that, until 2011 the existence of OFFICIAL Batman 1989 product didn't even exist. There were some nice customs, but nothing touched what we have now. This license is an important one, we have to remember that. According to most sources, it almost never was,

"日本HT的CEO-福蘭克在雜誌中表示,他花了將近兩年時間跟華納拿到89版蝙蝠俠版權。福蘭克說和華納的共通點是...如果 不能公仔化的話,以後89版就永遠不能成為公仔啊!!...之後最難得到的是尼可傑的點頭,原因是尼可森本 人不想參予有關蝙蝠俠的事情。之後福蘭克說服了尼克森。
他表示,當尼可森說OK的時候他快哭了...他強調89版小丑12吋除了HT之外應該不會有別 家了...

心得:難怪小丑定價比蝙蝠俠貴..."

TRANSLATION

"Hot Toys' CEO, Frank expresses in the magazine that he spent almost two years discussing the 1989 Batman copyright with Warner Bros. Both Frank and Warner agreed that if they couldn't produce collectibles based on the film now, then the chances of 1989 Batman being made in the future would be zero. The most difficult part of the licensing agreement was to get the approval of Jack Nicholson because Nicholson didn't wish to get involve with anything related to Batman. But Frank managed to persuade Nicholson. Frank said that he almost broke down into tears when Nicholson nodded his head. There was emphasis that other than HT, there wouldn't be any other 12 inch collectible company producing the 89 Joker."

I'd rather have a Joker with slicked back hair and a flawed hat than no 1989 Batman collectibles at all.

Yeah, good points all round actually.

Btw, I wasn't expecting hairs on his neck - or in his nose for that matter.. :lol

This post show how immature is the average of the users,
as soon someone make his point with a coherent post.....
there is immediately someone mocking him.
This says it all.

The difficulty with which they claim to have had with Nicholson in getting his OK makes me wonder if he agreed only to a one-off version. Not multiple figures. Doesn't seem like he'd hold back for years and then suddenly decide to let HT make whatever version of his Joker they would like.

I have doubts about Mime Joker and Gangster Joker. This simply may be it. Thus "Returns" around the corner.

Some day, some day. :lol

But yeah, this is definitely one of Hot Toys' best figures. I don't know what that 8th wonder is smoking saying it doesn't look like him. Everyone was practically in full, 100% agreement that this was Hot Toys' best likeness until recently it seems.

Even "perfect" figures have their "flaws". I own a lot of 1/6 figures but my favorite and what I consider best is definitely the '89 Batman. You know what though? He's not perfect. That PERS panel on the back of the head is annoying and there are a few, minor faults that bug me but it's still the best there is.

We're so quick to forget that, until 2011 the existence of OFFICIAL Batman 1989 product didn't even exist. There were some nice customs, but nothing touched what we have now. This license is an important one, we have to remember that. According to most sources, it almost never was,

I'd rather have a Joker with slicked back hair and a flawed hat than no 1989 Batman collectibles at all.
Interesting article!

Oh absolutely - I get the gravity here. I think a lot of us older folks having grown up with this film, were just floored when this license was announced.

I'll just reiterate one more time though, that I try to employ objectivity wherever possible - but you'll get no argument from me regarding these two 89 figures.. they did real good. :exactly:

Last edited:
The difficulty with which they claim to have had with Nicholson in getting his OK makes me wonder if he agreed only to a one-off version. Not multiple figures. Doesn't seem like he'd hold back for years and then suddenly decide to let HT make whatever version of his Joker they would like.

I have doubts about Mime Joker and Gangster Joker. This simply may be it. Thus "Returns" around the corner.

This is true, I've thought the same but if that's the case, why would Hot Toys even suggest doing more versions? I know they mentioned young John Connor and a BD T-800 before, but they never came out and said "hey, what about this" along with photos of the characters.

6a853733jw1dkkkmnea8nj.jpg

There are dozens of different outfits that Nicholson's Joker wore in Batman. If every one of those were made into 1/6 figures, it would be the most shocking thing ever within the collectors' circle. HT has already said that there is more to come from this Batman franchise, but one thing is for sure, and that is there would be more Jokers to come. However, it is unknown whether they would be released under the DX label or not. Or whether they'd be released as some sort of exclusives annually like the Predator series. One thing's for sure, it's not going to be an easy road for figure collectors who are great fans of classic movie icons.

They suggested different versions before a crazed fan/collector even made a list. :lol

Look at that photo list too, every look is accounted for.

Why was Nicholson so reluctant? I don't get it. He seems proud of his work on Batman, he seems to love it.
Yeah - I've got the 2 disc DVD edition of B-89, & the interview with Jack is incredibly positive. He seemed to relish the whole experience, & was even apparently a big Joker fan as a kid. :dunno

Back