Horror Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CAhobbit said:
The Blair Witch Project (the only horror movie to ever scare me…nothing has ever come close)

i remember watching that movie then going camping two weeks later. that was freaky.... especially when my friend stood outside my tent at 3a.m. shaking the side of it with his hand like in the movie. :monkey2

CAhobbit said:
Oh and "Session 9" is on my netflix queue right now abstractharmony (and has been for a little while now). Nice to hear someone else's thoughts on it. The description for it sounded quite interesting.

Yeah, I watch it every couple of months and notice something new everytime. Little subtleties here and there.

My heavily pregnant wife watched it with me when it first came otu and was NOT impressed that I'd made her watch it by the end.

Yeah huge fan of horror, I'd say most of my 1200 dvd's are horror. The cheesy ones are some of the best; Night of the Creeps, Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl o Rama, but all time favorite cheez-ball horror/comedy Return of the Living Dead.

I guess it all depends one what kind of horror films you cut your teeth on during those tender pre-teen years. :monkey4

For me, the films I found scary were the classic Universal horror figures... especially Frankenstein and the Monster form Hell (I couldn't even LOOK at pictures of that Hell Monster in my Famous Monsters mags), the Dr. Phibes films, Asylum, Willard and Omega Man. Then came Exorcist, Jaws and The Omen... films that re-wrote the book of horror. Due to my age, I couldn't see The Exorcist until YEARS later, but the commericals really scared me in a profound way.

I was a film projectionist when those Halloween/Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm St splatter films started to hit. Frankly, I found them unimaginitive and boring. But I also realized that they weren't made for me. But seeing all of these films and their knockoffs (I worked at a B-movie theater that got ALL of them, no exception) sort of innoculated me from their scares.

Sadly enough, I'm still working at a movie theater (part-time to pay for my Sideshow habit) and we get all of the Final Destinations (graphic snuff films), pitiful remakes (House of Wax, The Fog, When A Stranger Callls) and the modern films films that involve some "killer" computer virus or "killer" e-mailer. I'm waiting for a film that has a "killer" cell phone! Now that will be original! This week we have "Stay Awake"... and I'm probably going to stay away. :cool:

Only a few horror films have interested me over the years... Hellraiser, John Carpenter's The Thing, Alien, The Ring. And some were fun because they were spoofs of a sort and that had a charm all to themselves like the Evil Dead films, Shaun of the Dead and Bubba Ho Tep. Having Bruce Campbell definately helps. :D

So even though horror is not the genre of choice for me... I am looking forward to seeing Slither... maybe it's Buffy/Firefly connection I have with Nathan Fillion. :eek:

Modern Horror (in order)
Wes Cravens: New Nightmare
The Shining
Halloween
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Carrie
Misery
Psycho
A Tale of Two Sisters
American Werewolf in London
Ringu
Day of the Dead
Army of Darkness
The Eye
Dark Water(Japanese)
Dawn Of The Dead
The Lost Boys

Universal/Classic Horror
The Invisible Man
The Phantom of the Opera
Bride of Frankenstein
Nosferatu
Creature from the Black Lagoon

:rock
These are the best of Horror, easily. Theyre not just splatterfests but just brilliant movies in themselves. The horror genre has often been dissmissed as a genre of gore and violence, but there really is much more. I think its just today, with all the absolute crapness being produced, that the genre has really started to decline. I havent seen a good horror movie in cinemas for a LONG time. Expect maybe Saw, that was great:D

Then there Universal horror which is well, they just classic gems. Cant get enough of them!

y'know....

When I was little, the only version of the Frankenstein story I was exposed to was the Mel Brooks version. I thought Young Frankenstein was THE story of Frankenstein. So, the book was a bit of a let down.

Same goes for Monty Python and The Holy Grail. I was a screwed up kid.

I was a scared child, but still loved Horror... The ones that terrified me the most were the Halloween films, followed closely by Friday the 13th. To this day, the original Halloween is by far the most terrifying film I've ever seen. Now, I watch it with a kind of nostalgic feeling... even though I'm still creeped out. But for years... all I had to do was hear the music and my blood ran cold.

I'm a huge Freddy and Jason fan, always have been. They are the icons I grew up with and they'll never fade from their top spot in my mind. I was also very into the Evil Dead series, for it's camp and just insane hilarity.... What other movie would the lead character cover his possessed hand with a bucket and the novel "A Farewell to Arms"? Too funny...

Zombie films also caught my attention as I grew into my teenage years, as I watched nearly every movie I could to feature those vicious undead.

I still love the classic Universal horror, and will always hold the original Dracula as my favorite. Though I did have a bit of a soft spot for the Creature from the Black Lagoon... They filmed a lot of the underwater scenes at Silver Springs in Ocala, Fl... just a short drive from where I live. Always thought that was cool to imagine. When I was a kid, riding the glass bottom boats of that spring... I would wish that the creature would come swiiming through..

I was a weird kid...

LOTRFan said:
This whole time and not one mention of Dr. Giggles!!!!??? :lol

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104139/

Seen it. A killer dentist...it was too funny. There was actually a pretty disturbing sequence regarding a body and a birth like image IIRC.

hairlesswookiee said:
what about Killer Clowns from Outer Space?? is that on any else's lists??

Ah a classic campy hororr film. There were some pretty niffty figurines based on those crazy clown guys I saw about a year ago.

My favorite horror movies are:

John Carpenters THE THING
Phantasm 1 & 2
The Fly (Cronenberg remake)
Howling
American Werewolf in London
Alien
Dawn of the Dead (remake)

The Thing, Phantasm, and the Fly are also on my "top 10 favorite movies of all time" list (with THE THING at #1).

My friend pointed out to me all of these horror movies are about transformation, so what does that say about me? (laugh). Guess that's just a staple of horror.

I just got the UK Phantasm "Sphere" boxed set and rewatched the entire series and the documentary disc, which was very good. I didn't remember most of the sequels, and was surprised part two was better than I remembered, and I really didn't like part three or 4 (though the flashback sequences were awesome). Got myself a cheapie DVD player from Walmart and found the hack codes online to make it a multi-region player so I could watch it.

It got me on a big kick to make a few Phantasm 1:6 customs (to go along with my THING customs I've been planning for a few years but still haven't made). I'm using the SS 14" tall body for the Tall Man and the shorter SS Buffy "OZ" body for a 12 year old Mike. Love the different body sizes!

hairlesswookiee said:
didnt they make phantasm 4 or something?? im thinking about picking them all up, i havent seen part 1 since i was a kid.

They made Phantasm 1-4, but because different studios own the release rights to the different sequels (in America anyways), only 1-4 are released in the US right now, which is the OTHER reason I had to get a boxed set for from the UK (besides wanting the Sphere case and the extra DVD from their special edition).
Just warning you since I don't know where you live. :)

They say another Phantasm will definitely happen, the only question is in what form. Anchor bay recently bought the series and have said they want to do an a$$-kicking trilogy (but that info's a year old). If that fails to happen soon they will go ahead and do a part 5 (which may be a bad thing because the budget noticably dropped in the last few to obvious levels).

I love horror - my favorite is probably Halloween. I also like all the Elm Streets and a movie called Warlock. And the Hellraiser movies and all of the Evil Deads. And I absolutely love Shaun of the Dead and pretty much any zombie movie.

I finally just saw Slither and LOVED it! Highly recommend it to any fan of cheesy, old-style matinee horror. "Now that's some f&*#ed up s#%t."

(I'm also totally in love with Nathan Fillion so that doesn't hurt my enjoyment of it, I suppose :monkey3)

I remember seeing an old film, I think it was in black and white, with slugs from outer space that would jump into people's mouths, just like in this one... does anyone know what that movie was? Or am I just insane? :confused:

SideshowDusty said:
I remember seeing an old film, I think it was in black and white, with slugs from outer space that would jump into people's mouths, just like in this one... does anyone know what that movie was? Or am I just insane? :confused:

The only movie that I can think of is ''Shivers'' from David Cronenberg...done in the 70's but it was not in black and white....One thing for sure ,Slither burrows a lot from this movie...with the slugs and all ...

went to moviestop last night and fixed my horror movie craving. i got howling 1-4, night of the living dead (savini remake), and the new texas chainsaw massacre for less than $30. :monkey5 i then stayed up all night watching every one of them.

Murderofcrows71 said:
Yeah huge fan of horror, I'd say most of my 1200 dvd's are horror. The cheesy ones are some of the best; Night of the Creeps, Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl o Rama, but all time favorite cheez-ball horror/comedy Return of the Living Dead.

Night of the Creeps is great. I'm still waiting for the film to be officially released in Region 1 format.

I think that Halloween is the greatest horror movie ever made. It's premise was so simple, and yet it was scary as hell. Not much gore, but serious tension all over the place.

I'm happy with the way horror has gotten a little more brutal over the last couple of years. I was getting depressed at seeing the watered down PG-13 crap (and j-horror remakes) that were getting thrown into theaters (Dark Water, When a Stranger Calls, anything that has to do with the internet...). The last few years have seen High Tension, Wolf Creek, Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes, and now Slither. We finally have a few writer/directors worth following around again in Eli Roth, Alejandre Aja and James Gunn.

Back