Home Theater thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent as much time on this ticket window as I did on the wet bar - probably more on design. Here's a closer shot - notice how it's built out from the wall to give it depth.

theater_11.jpg

Like I said, I built this room from the ground up, doing almost all of it myself. If you have any questions about anything - like RISC and hat channel, Green Glue, Fireblock pads, insulation, sound proofing vents, etc, etc, etc, just ask!

I'm embarrassed that I even posted mine, especially my ghetto setup after seeing yours. lol, it looks amazing! You have almost exactly what I have in mind when I move to my own place. Excellent, excellent display MC!

80863.jpg

80866.jpg

Freak-Zombie, that is AWSEOME DUDE!!!!!:horror Congrats..:hi5:
I would love to have something like that..

Thanks man! :eek: It was done on a super tight budget as well as taking forever to plan for it due to the tiny room size and weird angles. But I am really happy I manage to squeeze in a second row, with a riser with step lights. :)

Wow nice setups Zombie and Michael! Zombie I'm pretty sure I've seen yours before on Blu-Ray.com

Hehe yup, I've seen your awesome setup too my fellow predator fan! ;)

Michael Crawford just killed this thread.

Holy crap MC that is insane

Amen to that! :lol

Hey Frank - don't be! Yours looks great! This one is my third, and every time they got a little better for me. This is my last one (hopefully - I don't plan on moving again), although I might change up the interior once in awhile.

@Michael Crawford Thats a nice man cave right there!
I wish I had that space to dedicate to my theater.

When we bought the house, that was one of the requirements - finding one with just the right floor plan for a dedicated HT. It took me about 3 years before I could start working on it, but it was worth it.

Back to my original question - anyone have any thoughts on a good 65 - 70" LED/LCD or Plasma tv? We've just remodeled the living room, and one is going up on the wall, but I haven't had time to do a ton of research. I know that the Panny VT50's get good reviews, and they have a 65". I'm not worried about light in the room (it's a plasma), and while it's 3D isn't top of the line, that's a secondary thing anyway. I checked one out at Best Buy, and there is a bit of fan noise from the back, but it wasn't as major as some folks had said.

Best Buy is pretty much the only spot to get one though - any thoughts on the new Sharp Aqous in the 70" range, or any of the Samsung? Costco carrries both right now, and I like the extra year they add to the manufacturers warranty.

And while I'm asking, anyone have experiences with the various sound bars? My living room is just not conducive to a good 5.1 or 7.1 setup due to it's layout and flow into the other rooms. I gotta have something though to improve the sound, and was looking at some of these. Thoughts?

I have 3 Samsung TVs all three nothing to complain about. 2 LCD and one Plasma. The plasma is at least 5-6 years old, one LCD is at least 3 years old and the other LCD is year and half old.

My parents have a newer Sony top of the line and I would take my last Samsung over it anytime.

Soundbars are unimpressive. I was looking at them due to space I had and decided a good 3.1 setup was way better then any soundbar. I was looking at the highest end soundbars too. There were two I was considering but both were unpowered so I just decided to go with good 3.1 setup.

The only two I liked were

https://www.miragespeakers.com/products/uni-theater/?sku=UNI-3-1
https://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-ssa-50

When we bought the house, that was one of the requirements - finding one with just the right floor plan for a dedicated HT. It took me about 3 years before I could start working on it, but it was worth it.

Back to my original question - anyone have any thoughts on a good 65 - 70" LED/LCD or Plasma tv? We've just remodeled the living room, and one is going up on the wall, but I haven't had time to do a ton of research. I know that the Panny VT50's get good reviews, and they have a 65". I'm not worried about light in the room (it's a plasma), and while it's 3D isn't top of the line, that's a secondary thing anyway. I checked one out at Best Buy, and there is a bit of fan noise from the back, but it wasn't as major as some folks had said.

Best Buy is pretty much the only spot to get one though - any thoughts on the new Sharp Aqous in the 70" range, or any of the Samsung? Costco carrries both right now, and I like the extra year they add to the manufacturers warranty.

And while I'm asking, anyone have experiences with the various sound bars? My living room is just not conducive to a good 5.1 or 7.1 setup due to it's layout and flow into the other rooms. I gotta have something though to improve the sound, and was looking at some of these. Thoughts?

My mom has a sony sound bar

https://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20153&langId=200&catalogId=100803&partNumber=HTCT150

She only got it, because her living room is opened up everywhere, and there was no logical place to have speakers placed in the living room. It sounds pretty good, and the sub is pretty good considering its size.

Those Sharp 70" tvs are gorgeous, I was at Futureshop the other day (equivalent to Best Buy) and I was in awe lol

I have 3 Samsung TVs all three nothing to complain about. 2 LCD and one Plasma. The plasma is at least 5-6 years old, one LCD is at least 3 years old and the other LCD is year and half old.

My parents have a newer Sony top of the line and I would take my last Samsung over it anytime.

Soundbars are unimpressive. I was looking at them due to space I had and decided a good 3.1 setup was way better then any soundbar. I was looking at the highest end soundbars too. There were two I was considering but both were unpowered so I just decided to go with good 3.1 setup.

+1 on the soundbars vs 3.1 setup. I've setup gear for 5.1 in open room concepts as well, and they don't sound too bad if you get a higher end receiver that can calibrate with a mic.

Man, I wish I could live like some of you guys are living (I'm looking at you, Michael Crawford :lol). But my kids are too damn expensive.

I just bought a house this year, and we started from scratch as far as housewares / furniture, so I just have a 73" Mitsubishi Diamond Series with a Polk Audio subwoofer in my basement / man cave. The Diamond series has a built in sound bar and has surprisingly decent sound. Not great, but pretty damn good for the price. The 3D is pretty nice (though I have yet to watch a 3D movie than entire way through).

The back up / secondary TV is a 55" Samsung LCD (last year's model). I was tempted to get this year models with the Kinect-like motion detection system, but reviews have been mixed. Sharp has an 80" LED that looked pretty damn good in the Best Buy showroom.

Or you guys can go with this 84" Sony, only $24,999. :lol

https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/s...551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_4KTV

Man, I wish I could live like some of you guys are living (I'm looking at you, Michael Crawford :lol). But my kids are too damn expensive.

I just bought a house this year, and we started from scratch as far as housewares / furniture, so I just have a 73" Mitsubishi Diamond Series with a Polk Audio subwoofer in my basement / man cave. The Diamond series has a built in sound bar and has surprisingly decent sound. Not great, but pretty damn good for the price. The 3D is pretty nice (though I have yet to watch a 3D movie than entire way through).

The back up / secondary TV is a 55" Samsung LCD (last year's model). I was tempted to get this year models with the Kinect-like motion detection system, but reviews have been mixed. Sharp has an 80" LED that looked pretty damn good in the Best Buy showroom.

Or you guys can go with this 84" Sony, only $24,999. :lol

https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/s...551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_4KTV

Daycare here too! It's a second mortgage payment. :horror

For real. Here's hoping that at least one of my two becomes either a lawyer or doctor and takes care of me ion my old age!

For real. Here's hoping that at least one of my two becomes either a lawyer or doctor and takes care of me ion my old age!

No kidding. Heading to the hospital tomorrow to meet my second. Maybe he will come out with gangsta rolls? :lol

Amazing set-up, MC. Unreal!! I could only hope to have something like that one day.

By the way, are those black bookshelves BIlLLY from IKEA?

Yep, they worked out perfect - there's 18 around the room, and by mixing and matching sizes I was able to get it to fit perfectly from one corner behind m in that photo around to the other.

And BadMoon - congrats!

Mr. Crawford, I had no idea that a toy review website was so profitable to have a theater set up like that! :lol

Back