HOBBIT CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great news. But, I do have some reservations...

Can the magic be re-captured?

Who will direct the films? (I still hope P.J. winds up directing)

What actors will be on board?

Will Weta be involved?

Howard Shore?

etc.

If all the right pieces fall into place, this could be truly special. Just like the LotR trilogy. So, even thou I have some skepticisim. This news is still exciting and very well received (on my end, anyway).

And, one other thing...

Let the rebirth of the poly begin. :rock

I want a Smaug statue done by Weta!!! :chew

I'm still giddy from the announcement. :banana

I absolutely LOVE the Lord of the Rings Books, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, the Unfinished Tales, etc by JRR Tolkien. To me no books are better. :bow

I absolutely love the film adaptation of JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books by Peter Jackson and company. To me no movies are better. :rock

In this case, unlike Highlander, there doesn't have to be only one. :lol

I'd definitely be down for a Smaug statue... I don't collect statues, but for that I'd make an exception.

I'm happy to see this happening and Jackson will do the best adaptation as possible.
HOWEVER!!!!
I have my reservations as well as Robodad.
Jackson took some liberties with the material that I don't like, especially where the witch king shatters Gandalf's staff!! Come one!! Gandalf was of the Maiar the same as Sauron and incredibly powerful. He was FORBIDDEN to interfere directly but he could have wiped the floor with the Witch King!!!
This could have been handled very easily with Pippin asking him to stop the Nazgul Lord and a simple reply that he wasn't permitted.
He greatly expanded Arwen's role, and then injected Elves into the battle of Helms Deep. So there is a lot of room for criticism if you take the arguement that it is, in fact, PETER JACKSON'S VERSION OF JRR. TOLKIENS LOTR.
I can see why he would want to bridge the gap between films so people can view them as one story rather than "everyone stuck their heads in the sand until FOTR".

And I name myself as an authority on this since my first nickname given to my by my Brother Jim in 1969 was Hobbit!!

I just got home from work and just got the news. I don't have the words yet! I'm excited and hopeful and skeptical and just plain happy all at once.

The date of this announcement is also uncanny to me, being words I've waited to hear for years. Obviously its close in proximity to the three films release dates but today itself is a horrible anniversary for me personally (those that know me may know why) and just like the theatrical release of ROTK four years ago, I can't believe how joy is mingled with grief.

I also need to decide whether or not to move to New Zealand and pound on the doors of Weta until I can convince them I can do something useful.

Somewhere in my dragon's hoard is a dried up computer print out of the original press release first stating that Peter Jackson would be directing the three films for New Line from 98 or something like that; I can't believe this day is finally here.

Last edited:
This is great news. But, I do have some reservations...

Can the magic be re-captured?

Who will direct the films? (I still hope P.J. winds up directing)

What actors will be on board?

Will Weta be involved?

Howard Shore?

etc.

If all the right pieces fall into place, this could be truly special. Just like the LotR trilogy. So, even thou I have some skepticisim. This news is still exciting and very well received (on my end, anyway).

And, one other thing...

Let the rebirth of the poly begin. :rock

I want a Smaug statue done by Weta!!! :chew

Personally, The Hobbit isn't as good a story as LoTR is. Not as mature and more for the kiddies (which Tolkien says it is). I'm worried that the filmmakers (non-PJ) will try to change it from The Hobbit and try to make into a LoTR sequel, which would be sad. I'm sure Weta and Howard Shore would be involved, or hope they would be.

If the hobbit does well, I just hope that The Silmarillion(one of the best books ever written) is on its way :rock:rock:rock:rock

i love the silmarillion as much as the next tolkien nut, but i really don't see it ever being translated to film -- it's just would not be wieldy -- it reads a bit like a history book and you'd really have to flesh out some bare bones narrative to create a film -- i'd love to see someone try, don't get me wrong, it just seems far too. . . massive
and i agree with ya darth caedus, the hobbit was really intended as a children's book -- but, that doesn't mean that that is the direction they have to go with it -- it could be re-imagined a bit more maturely -- and, i'm not one of those book purists that would be up in arms if they added and subtracted in bringing it to the screen -- can't wait to see what they do with it!

This strategy has worked well for "true" Highlander fans. :lecture

(j/k denger, please don't kill me) :lol

hmm? i have no problem with the highlander movies... though the 3d one with duncan and conner was kinda wonkey. Better ending would of been Methos comming out of retirement and killing them both. :monkey3

(yes, I know about highlander 2, just making a bad joke)

Well, I didn't catch this news yesterday so I've just found out on my birthday!! As has been mentioned before, the timing is spooky - FotR came out on my birthday all those years ago (or so it seems!) and now I have a belated present this year too. Whatever happens, I'm sure there'll be some bits that are loved, some that are hated, but overall we will finally see the movie we've all (or most of us anyway) been waiting for. As long as the narrative of the Hobbit isn't broken up by doing 2 films, I'll be happy. And as for a statue of Smaug, I already have one ... (kind of...) (you can see more images at: https://www.thesorcererslibrary.com...ieceprofiles/hh_wjd_letsleepingdragonslie.htm)

Well I've finally stopped grinning like a fool about this news.

This is, hands down, the greatest piece of cinema news I've heard this year.

SSC/WETA line is what got me hooked on Sideshow's products and I'm hoping that Sideshow are granted the license because I'm more than a little concerned that GG will swoop in like the proverbial dragon.

So did anyone else jump for the soundtracks and their copy of the Hobbit last night or was it just me?

I am so happy with this news. I have that warm feeling I used to have when I came to the freaks lotr board for news and discussion. I really hope weta and sideshow pair up again.

Why is it a tragedy? It was Tolkien's world; his creation. If he believed that adding that tone to the story was unnecessary, shouldn't that be enough to convince you that it wasn't necessary?

being that tolkien isn't around anymore, there is bound to be some evolution in the story. i'm positive pj will stick to as close to the original story as possible. he didn't do such a bad job with tolkien's works the first time around. :D

I'm fine with them having two movies... and I really don't think PJ would be interested in releasing fluff just to see a 2nd movie. I really think he has too much respect for the work. I could be wrong, but thats my feeling anyway.

i don't think there will be any fluff. the story needs two movies to tell it correctly. it won't be any longer or shorter than it has to be.

remember, a wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to. :lol

All I want to know is who is this guy? and what did he do with the other half of PJ

r3313172393.jpg

PLUS, ideas for breaking the hobbit into two parts:

TheOneRing.net said:
When the staff here at TheOneRing.net first heard the rumors that the Hobbit film deal would most likely be for two movies, it fueled a lot of speculation. Most of the speculation centers on the idea that the second movie will be a bridge between The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring.

Events that could be included in such a bridge movie:

The White Council meets to discuss The Necromancer (aka Sauron)
The White Council (including Saruman and Gandalf) attack The Necromancer’s stronghold at Dol Guldur. This is to prevent Sauron from searching the river for the Ring. Sauron abandons Dol Guldur and takes up residence in Mordor.
Gollum leaves the mountain, searching for the “thief” Baggins.
Sauron declared himself openly, starting to gather power to Mordor.
Aragorn searches the wilds for Gollum.
Aragorn’s engagement to Arwen.
Frodo’s birth.
These are but a few things mentioned in Appendix B of Return of the King. These can be added to and expanded to make the story flow.

Last edited:
This is wonderful news!

That being said, here is my Christmas Wish List for 2010:

Smaug statue. Make it big - damn the cost! :lol
Bilbo statue
Thranduil statue
Thorin statue
And while I don't need another Gandalf statue, I know there'll be a new one and I'll buy it.

I'm going to have to re-read the Hobbit now...I haven't read it in years.....so I can't remember all the characters/creatures etc.

It's alright by me if Weta does the statues. Their Narnia statues are beautiful.

Back