HOBBIT CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I suspect that I am the poster that was mentioned above, I should probably add my two cents.

First, let me say to Adam that I have appreciated all your comments in this thread, and I sincerely hope you haven't taken anything I have said personally, since no offense was ever intended. I am only trying to participate in this lively discussion. And because of your comments, I have learned several new things about Tolkien's writings that I never knew before. For that I really do thank you!

As far as the rights to The Hobbit, Corwin is quite right. Professor Tolkien sold the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings way back in 1966. For a fairly in-depth explanation of how they have changed hands over the years, check out this article. However, the key thing is that the rights were sold before the Professor's death, and once his son Christopher took over control of his estate, no further rights have ever been sold, and he has indicated that they never will be. Time will tell whether that will ever change (e.g., will we ever see any of the Silmarillion tales made into films?). So none of the books published posthumously are part of any license.

Next, as to Quest of Erebor, that does get a bit tricky. As anyone who has read the Annotated Hobbit knows, there were three different versions of the story written. As far as I know, version 'A' has never been published. Version 'B' was published in TAH, and version 'C' was published in Unfinished Tales (both posthumously). But, portions culled from versions 'B' and 'C' were published in ROTK Appendix A, section III - Durin's Folk. And, it is widely known that version 'C' had been intended by Tolkien to be included in the appendices, but George Allen and Unwin pulled it due to space limitations. There are even glimpses into it in the first chapter of The Hobbit. Whether that could be used to build a case for allowing it to be used for the construction of the film, who can say?

And finally, I want to be clear on one more point. I never meant to say with any finality what could (or should) be used from Tolkien canon in the production of the films. My only concerns are that adding too much to the story would cause it to cease to be The Hobbit at all, since that narrative flow would be consumed by the larger story, and that I personally don't believe there is enough detail, even among all the canon sources available, to completely flesh out two movies.

Yes, there is certainly more than enough to produce an fantastic outline for the story, but the devil is always in the details. For example, even among Tolkien scholars, there is significant debate about who even made up the White Council. We know the core members, but who else was counted among the Wise?

Earlier today I was scanning through my newly arrived copy of the 70th anniversary Edition, and in just the first chapter, I could see three different cut-away/flashback scenes that Jackson would probably like to add. During Gandalf's lengthy exposition about Thror's kingdom, and how he came to be in possession of Thror's map, I'm certain Jackson will want those events portrayed on-screen (especially the relationship between Thror's people and Dale, the coming of the dragon, and how Gandalf found Thrain in the Necromancer's dungeon). I think those could be welcome additions, but will they overwhelm Bilbo's story?

As you can see, I have more questions than answers, and only time will tell how it all plays out. But it is certainly fun to speculate!

I think another prologue would be good. It wouldn't do any harm. You need that in a film to set up why the dwarves are going on this quest, unless you want to mix flash back scenes with Gandalf talking to the others in Bag End, but I think a prologue would be a great introduction to the movie, plus we'd see Smaug right at the beginning!

Nope, New Line have had the film Rights for quite a few years now and were in fact soon about to lose them if this deal had not gone ahead.

Not sure exactly when they aquired them off Saul Zaentz but it was certainly before 2002.

MGMs Distribution Rights to a Hobbit film date back to the 1950's or 60's.

I meant that the new film deal that will result in Hobbit films in 2010 & 2011 was just agreed-upon signed between New Line, MGM, and Jackson's production company. That's what I was referring to. not any pre-existing agreements held by any or all of the parties involved.

Adam, I didn't know you were into Tolkien! We should have you take a stab at an AH! version of Eowyn, Galadriel, or Arwen! Maybe even a Rosie Cotton! That would be a sight to behold!! :lol

That would be fun as hell. I LOVES me some Tolkien, you betcha. I did a convention sketch of Eowyn fighting the Witch-King (as I wanted to see it done) for a guy a few years back, but it wasn't very good, as it was done at San Diego - a nightmare con to do sketches at.

I did a really neat sketch of Smaug in his lair Under the Mountain for a guy last year.... I oughtta see if I can find a scan of it....

Since I suspect that I am the poster that was mentioned above, I should probably add my two cents.

First, let me say to Adam that I have appreciated all your comments in this thread, and I sincerely hope you haven't taken anything I have said personally, since no offense was ever intended. I am only trying to participate in this lively discussion. And because of your comments, I have learned several new things about Tolkien's writings that I never knew before. For that I really do thank you!

As far as the rights to The Hobbit, Corwin is quite right. Professor Tolkien sold the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings way back in 1966. For a fairly in-depth explanation of how they have changed hands over the years, check out this article. However, the key thing is that the rights were sold before the Professor's death, and once his son Christopher took over control of his estate, no further rights have ever been sold, and he has indicated that they never will be. Time will tell whether that will ever change (e.g., will we ever see any of the Silmarillion tales made into films?). So none of the books published posthumously are part of any license.

You're welcome and no offense taken. I'm new to forums, and am still learning how to communicate ideas properly.

As for "none of the books published posthumously are part of any license"... that's true. But that gets us into the icy waters of legalese: what constitutes a posthumous publication? Is a newer edition of The Hobbit that contains material intended for publication in The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings considered part of the canon of available material that the filmmakers can use, or is it off-limits because it was published AFTER Professor Tolkien's death?

I don't know the answer. Neither does anyone else on this forum, unless, as I've stated, they have been privvy to the negotiations or have read the contracts.

All we can do is guess, surmise, and theorize.

Again, all I was doing was answering one person's claim that there can be no source for material for extra Hobbit film content other than The Hobbit or LOTR; I imply no authority in this matter, nor is any to be inferred.

All I was saying was, there's a new edition of The Hobbit that has an Appendix that covers some of the possible material for expanded Hobbit films. I can't say if the Appendix in the Annotated Hobbit is useable; conversely, not one of you can say that is it is unusable, for the same reason. We're all just guessing, but I don't think anyone can shoot down my guess in this particular instance, because no one of us can prove it one way or the other. I was just offering a possible suggestion to answer someone else's (in my humble opinion, unsubstantiated) concrete statement. That's all. (and typed with a friendly smile)

All we can do, as you say, is wait and see. Once the Hobbit films come out, perhaps the DVD documentaries of said films will be able shed light on the long road getting The Hobbit to the screen.

Last edited:
Well, I just read all 29 pages of this thread...

First, I loved the three movies, but look at them as something totally separate from the books because so much was left out or changed. I love just about every page of the LOTR and hate that no one has ever done the Barrow Downs justice on film! Having read the LOTR almost every year for the last 35 years or so, I know it very well, and knew I could not go into the movies expecting to see the books on screen; the same will be true of the Hobbit. I will approach it as something apart from the book and judge it on it's own merits. However, the old sayings, "You can't go home again" and "Lightning never strikes twice..." come to mind, and I don't think they will garner the same feelings and appeal as the LOTR movies did. I think they will probably be good movies, but I will take a wait and see attitude as I did with the LOTR movies.

Second, to discuss some of what has been mentioned in this thread, I always felt "the Wise" referred to anyone of wisdom and power in the world, whether they were elves, wizards or else. As for the White Council, I always thought only of the Council that was promoted by Galadriel and included Gandalf and Saruman. One thing to keep in mind is that even Tolkien himself wasn't always able to keep the continuity straight with works written between the earliest part of the century all the way up to his death in 1973. And considering that just about everything he ever wrote (including multiple versions of the same stories) was kept, it is easy to see why confusion still reigns with some elements of the stories.

Ok, just my two cents... back to the discussion...

From the trades this week it now appears increasingly likely that we can expect news announcing that Guillermo del Toro will take on directing duties for The Hobbit, with Jackson/Walsh producing.

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/20...el-toro-“99-percent-certain”-says-nl-insider/

hobbit_deltoro.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I thought I read somewhere that del Toro is a HUGE Tolkien fan too and is very well versed on LOTR and The Hobbit so I have no worries about his making of these movies esp since Fran and PJ are involved, I think we could be blown away by them actually, just can't see him (PJ) being involved and it NOT working or allowing anyone to churn out crap. I want it to be Dec 2010 NOW!!! :D

Back