HOBBIT CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it does work out that way, and there is no "cliff-hanger" at the end of The Hobbit, then I'll be very happy. I'll gladly go see the first movie, and just pretend that the second never existed.

This strategy has worked well for "true" Highlander fans. :lecture

(j/k denger, please don't kill me) :lol

Dont get yer undies in a bunch yet. It would seem that the first move will be the Hobbit and the second movie will be a bridge to LOTR...

I still prefer the other way of doing it. :monkey3

That's how I took it.

If it does work out that way, and there is no "cliff-hanger" at the end of The Hobbit, then I'll be very happy. I'll gladly go see the first movie, and just pretend that the second never existed.

Why? It exists in book form or information form in some books and other bits. You read those don't ya? Know that info? Its part of ME lore so to speak. So why would you pretend it doesn't exist? Now, you're acting like SW fans that wanna act like the PT didn't happen. Jeez

I'm in it to see ME come to life with as much of the info as possible (if done right). I don't get the hating already. :confused:

With all due respect to the enthusiasm on display, I have to say that I am actually pretty unhappy about the news. Splitting it into two movies, and injecting the Dol Guldur and White Council sequences, will destroy the flow of the narrative, and ruin the charm of the real story. I'm actually pretty bummed right now.

Dol Guldur and the White Council are important to the history of Middle-earth, but they have nothing to do with the story of The Hobbit. If they had been important to that story, wouldn't you suppose Tolkien would have added them when he revised the story to remove the conflicting elements from it?

Cheer up Robo we have plenty of time to mull over what they will or will not do. Be happy in the fact that the Hobbit is moving forward with PJ Producing you know it will be back with Weta and in NZ. I am happy with this nugget of knowledge and we all know with the Whoooping sucess of the Golden Compass :monkey3 that Shaye is going to do whatever it takes to keep his job.

I myself, obsessed with the extra stories as I am, really want to see the exploits of the White Council against the Necromancer. The Hobbit, much as I love it, has never been quite enough for me, and I would prefer the other events to supplement it. Sometimes I feel the Hobbit is a little too quaint for me. I wish we would have had a chance to see the rewrite which Tolkien did in the same style as LOTR--apparently those who read the drafts thought it was beyond brilliant, but he was later convinced it wasn't necessary. Oh, the tragedy of that loss!

Anyway, I'm all for seeing the White Council stuff. It's a nice break from the exploits of Thorin's gang anyway, especially since that long a time with that many dwarves can be tiresome for anybody--even Gandalf!
:lol

Sorry, Robo but I don't think many are gonna feel the same. There's no reason to be bummed about this what so ever IMO. First off the I think The Hobbit movie will follow the book with some added stuff I'm sure. The other movie will most likely cover the other things. Therefore keeping it all as one. Honestly, even if they tweak it a little I'm fine in that there's so much cool info that should see the big screen. Plus these have to be made in the same way LOTR was to keep the flow but also so NON-LOTR fans go see it. Again, there HAS to be some tweaking.

That's cool. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But at the same time, being in the minority doesn't make me wrong and them right. And no matter how much people argue for their point, I won't be changing my mind. There is almost nothing in any of Tolkien's writings that gives detailed accounts of any of those events (certainly not enough detail to flesh out a complete film), so the majority of what Jackson and company film will be pure conjecture, their own invention, not Tolkien's ideas. Some people may very well welcome that, but I won't be one of them.

Why? It exists in book form or information form in some books and other bits. You read those don't ya? Know that info? Its part of ME lore so to speak. So why would you pretend it doesn't exist? Now, you're acting like SW fans that wanna act like the PT didn't happen. Jeez
See above for my reasons for not wanting to see the second film (assuming that the films are divided as most are currently speculating). As for your childish insult, well... :rolleyes:

Hasn't PJ said previously that he wanted to make the Hobbit more adult and tie into LotR more?

I'd love to see that happen with the two movies so that it's really a 5 film series that flows together seamlessly. And it sounds like there will be more Gandalf in the 2nd film - can never have too much Gandalf.

I wish we would have had a chance to see the rewrite which Tolkien did in the same style as LOTR--apparently those who read the drafts thought it was beyond brilliant, but he was later convinced it wasn't necessary. Oh, the tragedy of that loss!

Why is it a tragedy? It was Tolkien's world; his creation. If he believed that adding that tone to the story was unnecessary, shouldn't that be enough to convince you that it wasn't necessary?

I really would like to see more of the Necromancer and White Council too.. I think it'll add alot of depth to Sauron (who, lets face it, could definitely use it) and Saruman.

That's cool. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But at the same time, being in the minority doesn't make me wrong and them right. And no matter how much people argue for their point, I won't be changing my mind. There is almost nothing in any of Tolkien's writings that gives detailed accounts of any of those events (certainly not enough detail to flesh out a complete film), so the majority of what Jackson and company film will be pure conjecture, their own invention, not Tolkien's ideas. Some people may very well welcome that, but I won't be one of them.

Don't change your mind. That's fine but I think you're screwing yourself out of what will probably be something special. I think PJ has a pretty good feeling of what would have been written and will be able to make that feel as if it doesn't miss a beat. Again, I trust PJ and what he will do because Tolkien wasn't perfect as you may want him to be. There are several spots in the LOTR that honestly if it wasn't for the fact I LOVE the entire story I'd skip. Why? They're boring as hell.

See above for my reasons for not wanting to see the second film (assuming that the films are divided as most are currently speculating). As for your childish insult, well... :rolleyes:

Well, IMO its a lame reason for not wanting to see them and you might want to take Tolkien off his thrown cause he didn't hit everything perfectly in LOTR. I wouldn't call it childish I'd call it fact because you're not acting any different now than when the Crack of Doom piece came out and you got all pissy about that.

I really would like to see more of the Necromancer and White Council too.. I think it'll add alot of depth to Sauron (who, lets face it, could definitely use it) and Saruman.

Me 2. I approach it like I do with the SW EU stuff. It only adds to what I like or what's going through my head.

Hobbit? Heh . .. So when are they planning the Silmarillion??:lol

I am really ecstatic with this news. Now I have 3 more years to look forward to. Maybe book a NZ vacation sometime around that time! I'm glad Weta's in the limelight again, and now I have more stuff to talk about with the Weta folks.

Now for the big question . . .How big a new room will I need for all the Hobbit merchandise and collectibles??

I actually do hope we see tales like Children of Hurin in some form or another in the theaters.

I actually do hope we see tales like Children of Hurin in some form or another in the theaters.

I think what we will get after the Hobbit and the new movie "the Time in Between" lol. Will be possible if these two films are hits or not.

One thing I am worried about is Beorn may go the way of the Tom B. I would not like that in the least.

I think what we will get after the Hobbit and the new movie "the Time in Between" lol. Will be possible if these two films are hits or not.

One thing I am worried about is Beorn may go the way of the Tom B. I would not like that in the least.

Its funny that in reading the books I always connected Tom B. with Beorn too. Tom B. bugged me a wee bit, but if they omitted Beorn I would be more than annoyed. I would be all bug eyed bushy eyebrowed Christopher Tolkien all over it.

Tom B was one of the parts when reading LOTR that I'd honestly like to just pound my freaking skull.

I'm fine with them having two movies... and I really don't think PJ would be interested in releasing fluff just to see a 2nd movie. I really think he has too much respect for the work. I could be wrong, but thats my feeling anyway.

I'm fine with them having two movies... and I really don't think PJ would be interested in releasing fluff just to see a 2nd movie. I really think he has too much respect for the work. I could be wrong, but thats my feeling anyway.

Thats my feelings as well. I just trust PJ.

Who is RDad convincing? We all know he will see whatever PJ releases and he will LIKE IT! :tap
Wanna make a bet on that? :lol

Unlike Josh, I don't think Jackson is perfect, or even close to it. I do think that Tolkien (with respect to the universe he created) is much, much closer.

After seeing some of the "changes" Jackson made to LOTR, I have ZERO interest in seeing how he would INVENT the scenes for the White Council and the expulsion of the Necromancer from Dol Guldur. Because the reality is that that's what he'll have to do. There is no narrative version of those events, only snippets from other books.

No, I wouldn't make that bet. You're digging your heels in and have made your mind up already. At this point there isn't any discussion with you on the subject that won't include you telling us how crappy it will be. You've got an idealisitic thought of how perfect Tolkien is and a hidden bone with PJ. Much the same way Vlad does. You guys need to let that go and trust the man. He didn't do anything to ruin LOTR and IMO enhanced it in many ways. He made some mistakes that I didn't care for but ya know as I said Tolkien has some stuff that doesn't make LOTR better IMO.

As far as me thinking PJ is perfect. I didn't say that. I just said I trust him and Tolkien is far from it as well. Need I go into Tom B and the hole Ent's meeting? Good god I want to beat my head in on those. They really add little overall to LOTR to me other than more story.

from Robodad

Why is it a tragedy? It was Tolkien's world; his creation. If he believed that adding that tone to the story was unnecessary, shouldn't that be enough to convince you that it wasn't necessary?

JRRT himself attempted to update THE HOBBIT into something more like LOTR. And besides, he wrote truly great books but seemed to know very little about film and how it worked. I am very thankful when he was faced with his choice of "art or money" he took the money. I imagine that he - and now his heirs in the person of Christopher - would have been completely impossible to work with.

And regarding THE SILMARILLION - people should read the Appendicies in LOTR, especially the first one which deals with the First Age. Tolkien describes all the major events and even uses the name Silmarillion. And who do you think owns the film rights to those pages? New Line Cinema.

Back