HOBBIT CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's right, I'm "digging my heels." I am very interested in seeing anything Tolkien wrote brought to life on the screen. The problem is, he never wrote a narrative of the White Council and Dol Guldur events. Is that really such a difficult concept to grasp?

If you want to see Jackson's idea of what might have happened there, more power to you. But your constant bashing and belittling of people who have differing opinions is growing a bit tiresome.

Not true, there really isn't much to make up except for dialog; all of the story about the White Council is pretty detailed in Tolkien's works and he goes into quite a bit of depth in the Appendices, which Tolkien said were essential to the story.

People make a great error when they mistakenly believe that the Appendices and other works are just "extras." In JRRT's mind they are absolutely essential to understanding the story, only their place is not in the narrative--that does NOT lessen their vital significance to the plot. Rather, it adds to it--one cannot fully understand LOTR without them, and in a movie which doesn't have the luxury of slipping them into an extra volume, they simply have to be worked into the narrative, which PJ does quite well. The scenes with the White Council are very intentionally used by Tolkien to tie The Hobbit to LOTR. The films ought to do likewise if they are to maintain the consistency and fluidity aspired to by Tolkien.

I was never really too into the idea of making the Hobbit into two films personally. I just never thought it was necessary or that there was enough material to warrant it. I'd hate to see it done just for the money.

At this point I honestly see Tolkien's Lord of the Ring's and Jackson's Lord of the Rings as very separate entities. Both have their merits and drawbacks as I see it. I would like to think that after all this time and the angry lawsuits that PJ still has the drive and emotion he had when first approaching FOTR. If he does, then I am interested in seeing what he can do in a "Hobbit Sequel." If he is doing it just so he can make a few more bucks and have a fun reunion getting some of the cast from the trilogy back together, then count me out.

It is waaaay too early for me to tell though, so I eagerly await more information.

I wish we could post more than seven
smilies because if we could I would post about a million.
I cannot wait for these movies and this news
made one LOTR fanboy very happy and was one of the greatest presents I recived this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:chew:chew:chew:chew:chew:chew:chew

Yeah, The Hobbit has never been my favorite of Tolkien's works; I put it after LOTR and The Silmarillion. Still it should be made, and in the exact same style as the previous films.

And RoboDad, I should correct myself, truly there is no narrative of the events surrounding the White Council, but there is more than abundant information concerning their efforts, and that should be made into film as there is so much, and wonderful things, too. I really want to see it made.

Yep, that's right, I'm "digging my heels." I am very interested in seeing anything Tolkien wrote brought to life on the screen. The problem is, he never wrote a narrative of the White Council and Dol Guldur events. Is that really such a difficult concept to grasp?

I understand he didn't write full length information that doesn't mean there isn't enough info that it can't be inferred what might have happened. With that I'm willing to trust PJ. Hopefully you can GRASP that.

If you want to see Jackson's idea of what might have happened there, more power to you. But your constant bashing and belittling of people who have differing opinions is growing a bit tiresome.

I'm not bashing nor belittling you. I'm simply stating why I /others are so happy for the news. The purist attitude and the I can do better than PJ attitude that you and some others have is WAY MORE TIRESOME.

Yeah, The Hobbit has never been my favorite of Tolkien's works; I put it after LOTR and The Silmarillion. Still it should be made, and in the exact same style as the previous films.

And RoboDad, I should correct myself, truly there is no narrative of the events surrounding the White Council, but there is more than abundant information concerning their efforts, and that should be made into film as there is so much, and wonderful things, too. I really want to see it made.

Right there is enough info that a movie can be made with Tolkiens ideas that tie everything together. :)

Not true, there really isn't much to make up except for dialog; all of the story about the White Council is pretty detailed in Tolkien's works and he goes into quite a bit of depth in the Appendices, which Tolkien said were essential to the story.

When did I ever say that the appendices were not essential to understanding the story? In fact, I said earlier that they are important. But as for whether they belong in the narrative, that is a much more subjective statement, and one for which there is (or should be) room for disagreement.

And as far as the amount of detail available about the White Council, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You think the available detail is sufficient to flesh out a 2+ hour motion picture. I don't. I believe (based on Jackson's previous embellishments) the he will invent his own version of those events, and they will not be much (if at all) in alignment with my own interpretations.

The notion that Jackson has such tremendous respect for Tolkien is really kind of laughable to me. Trust him if you like, but I trust Tolkien more. Oh, but that makes me "purist" who thinks he could do better.

in alignment with my own interpretations.

Well, let's just stop it all now. It won't align with what you have in your mind. Crap! I didn't realize we had to play by YOUR rules. :rotfl :rolleyes:

The notion that Jackson has such tremendous respect for Tolkien is really kind of laughable to me. Trust him if you like, but I trust Tolkien more. Oh, but that makes me "purist" who thinks he could do better.

Man, you really being a snot today! Why don't you think he does? Cause he changed some stuff so the movies wouldn't flop? Changes where made to help try to improve the movies? I want your proof that he doesn't. The man has said he has all the respect in the world for Tolkien. I'll take the man at his word and won't be such an A-S-S to call him a liar.

I do believe you think you could do better. For whatever reason you think you're perfect and that everything you know is the right way to do things. You're *****ing now like you did when the crack of doom dio came out cause it wasn't just like the book. Robo when you get to crying like this its just annoying.

Again, why is TOlkien so easy to trust? There are plenty of things in LOTR that don't help the story out.

When you get done thinking so highly of yourself call us we'll be down here waiting for you to come down. Seriously, you're like one of two people *****ing. That has to tell you something.

Edit: I'm sure you'll tell me what a dick I'm being and how I'm not letting you speak. That's not the case but go ahead and tell yourself that. :lol

Last edited:
:DThe Hobbit into film....................wow, best news for the Merry Season.
Especially as the LOTR movies all came out round this time of the year, and were the highlight of Xmas for me. Followed by the LOTR Exhibition.
It's been a few years since those big events and I can not wait for the upcoming releases!! :D

The New York Times is reporting a dollar figure as to what it took to settle the dispute with New Line Cinema

The pact, which two people involved said was worth nearly $40 million to Mr. Jackson, ends years of litigation and acrimonious auditing over his share of the profits from the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

On that part we agree completely. I don't recall what the original figure was that Jackson was going after (was it ever specified in the press?), but this sounds like it was a reasonable compromise based on the amount the films made worldwide.

Yeah, when you're talking billions 40 million to make maybe a billion more is a good deal. At least by my math. :lol

Im over the moon with this news, however I am sad that PJ is only producing and not directing. My pick for Director is easily Del Toro. He'd have Middle Earth down pat. But PJ is the real visionary for a project like this, I hope he gets really involved in the creative process, and possibly chooses to direct later on.
and :rock :rock for Weta poly!!! I'll finally be apart of the poly rush this time

and :rock :rock for Weta poly!!! I'll finally be apart of the poly rush this time

Now this is an interesting thought. With the relationship between Sideshow and Weta dead, and not likely to be resurrected, who will New Line give the license to, Weta or Sideshow? Or will it be split, with Sideshow doing 12" figures and Dios, and Weta doing other statues?

I definitely want a "Smaug on his pile of gold" statue, that will be a given!

Back