High End Hi Fi stereo system and figures display problem ?!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurgan999

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
i am building man cave and i have high end Hi Fi audiophile components , and i have problem with displaying my 1/6 figures .

Every acoustic expert told me that plexi/glass can make only problems in your listening room .

So i dont know if anyone here have high end equipment in acoustic room to share experience with me .

One of possible solutions is to make shelves for figures but without glass and to put acoustic absorbers behind em . But i am affraid of dust and security of figures ( curent setup have plexi that cant be opened without key ).

thanks in advance

I think he wants everything IN his MANCAVE.

maybe partition the room up. or put the cabinets further behind the speakers so the sound won't directly vibrate towards the glasses.

maybe partition the room up. or put the cabinets further behind the speakers so the sound won't directly vibrate towards the glasses.

Finally, someone who shares my pain! :lol

As an audiophile myself, I have my collection in a completely separate room and yes, your collectibles and display WILL have a detrimental effect on your audio quality. I guess if you really have no choice, then go back to acoustic treatment 101- which is to balance out the harshness of the listening environment (that means areas even outside the soundstage and sweetspot) with dampeners, something like decorative rugs hung on the wall would work too, or more pillows on the couch.

The rug dampening worked for me, but over time as my collection was getting larger, my audio system sounded more harsh and congested. You really need to strike a balance as to not create accidental bass traps or diffusers, something this hobby certainly would inadvertently do to for your system.

Have a critical ear and listen to what's causing any interference. Use a frequency sweep to easily pinpoint any trouble makers (my HT Robocop had issues with me enjoying good audio!)

You can also consider hiring a professional to evaluate your listening room if you're really serious to get the perfect balance between the two.

Last edited:
I bet he never thought of that...:idea

Maybe this saying is right: you can't have your cake and eat it. I worked at a radio station for quite a few years. If you want 100% high end audio, then acoustic absorbents will not be enough, the room itself needs to have the specs and geometry for it. Look at concert halls and their acoustic. This can be reproduced in a smaller scale, but in the the project stage, and much harder when you have the room and things brought in already.

Maybe this saying is right: you can't have your cake and eat it. I worked at a radio station for quite a few years. If you want 100% high end audio, then acoustic absorbents will not be enough, the room itself needs to have the specs and geometry for it. Look at concert halls and their acoustic. This can be reproduced in a smaller scale, but in the the project stage, and much harder when you have the room and things brought in already.

thing about concert room is, they are designed for whole range of audiences in the room, of course ideal would be at the mid area but like cinemas they need to consider folks around the corner, so chances are they aren't 100% tuned for optimal listening at the mid, where private rooms you don't need that wide range you just focus on infront of the speakers, so it's much simpler & better focused than concert rooms.

First of all thank you very much for reply ! Its necessary to setup figures and audio system in that room, cose that will be my relax room connected to my office (e.g on every break i will go to chill myself in that room ) .

Finally, someone who shares my pain! :lol

As an audiophile myself, I have my collection in a completely separate room and yes, your collectibles and display WILL have a detrimental effect on your audio quality. I guess if you really have no choice, then go back to acoustic treatment 101- which is to balance out the harshness of the listening environment (that means areas even outside the soundstage and sweetspot) with dampeners, something like decorative rugs hung on the wall would work too, or more pillows on the couch.

The rug dampening worked for me, but over time as my collection was getting larger, my audio system sounded more harsh and congested. You really need to strike a balance as to not create accidental bass traps or diffusers, something this hobby certainly would inadvertently do to for your system.

Have a critical ear and listen to what's causing any interference. Use a frequency sweep to easily pinpoint any trouble makers (my HT Robocop had issues with me enjoying good audio!)

You can also consider hiring a professional to evaluate your listening room if you're really serious to get the perfect balance between the two.

Yeah i talked so far with many hi fi audiophiles , and have some solution's already.

Diffusers , apsorbers, bass straps, wall ceilings absorbers/difusers is a must in this situation.

I also talked with constructor of amp / preamp/ speakers and his son finishing audio / video collage and they have room acoustic as a class and both of em will help me out . Thats most reasonable solution right now i think. Cose a lot of ppl have different ideas, since constructor is from my hometown i think thats easiest solution. He will visit my place, check room and what we had to do .

They exhibit their equipment on high end show's in Germany,Poland etc. and they are doing same dumping for exhibits room's as well.

He told me over phone we can make great acoustic and almost same effect as you hire professional acoustic master with small investment ( like 1.200$ compared to 25.000$ how much professional acoustic room could cost ). And we can have like 10%~ negative effect compared to hiring professionals , and our ears cant hear that much difference he told me . So i think we will find perfect balance with those two, cose i want to have maximum from my audio equipment ( both from figures :p ) .

I will update over here what's result when time come (hope in 2weeks :) ) .

thanks again for help.

You really struck gold there! My biggest concern is achieving such luxury of that perfect world where your gear and toys could co-exist will cost A LOT of money, and what you just said sounds like the absolutely perfect solution, something guys like myself could only dream of!

I'd love to see what kind of setup you have and what you're going for, and documenting how the process entails would be truly exciting, things like these don't happen every day, you know. Congrats again!

P/S: Suddenly, your sig has a whole new meaning! :rotfl

Hey Pliskin :),
regard my sig. its from one of my favorite bands :) Bolt Thrower :) but also had a lot to do with my personality hahahaha :)

When everything is ready , hopefully everything will fit and work, i will post everything what we did in room to make this possible ;) Will be very gladly for me to help/assist if we manage to make this .

It would probably be noticeable at all volume levels, but worsen as level rises.

when your volume is not high enough, the sound will less likely bounce off objects in it's path so the effect is much lesser, churn the bass up and you can hear the Glass cabinets & tables drumming up.

Even the speaker stands themselves need to be rated for at least 8.0 earthquakes and the speaker bottom need to have shock absorbing materials. Best is put them on thick carpets but most mid & high needs a stand.

when your volume is not high enough, the sound will less likely bounce off objects in it's path so the effect is much lesser, churn the bass up and you can hear the Glass cabinets & tables drumming up.

Well, from the sounds of it, your problems will be short term due to the hearing loss that's coming your way. I have a rig capable of producing plenty of volume, and I've never had tables or my glass cabinets shake themselves.

I ameliorate the effects as best I can of having a wall of glass cabinets by having full carpet and nice big soft comfy couches. I'm lucky, my room is long and thin, and their generally isn't a lot of noticeable difference between now and when I didn't have the display cases in my preferred seating position.

Well, from the sounds of it, your problems will be short term due to the hearing loss that's coming your way. I have a rig capable of producing plenty of volume, and I've never had tables or my glass cabinets shake themselves.

I ameliorate the effects as best I can of having a wall of glass cabinets by having full carpet and nice big soft comfy couches. I'm lucky, my room is long and thin, and their generally isn't a lot of noticeable difference between now and when I didn't have the display cases in my preferred seating position.

if you aren't going for sound stage and not turning the volume up it's not an issue. turning the volume up doesn't mean you have to sit right infront of the speakers. and if glass cabinets & tables are really close to them they will resonate, don't need the volume to be deafening to do so, as long as the bass is there.

but since your room is big enough and the volume ain't high enough by the time the sound hits the cabinet it's already too weak to bounce back or vibrate the glasses. but for sound stage usually the speakers are located near the ends of all walls. The bigger the room the better sound stage you get as you can easily tell which sound coming from which direction compared to small rooms where all the sound gets jumbled up.

Back