Hi-Def TV suggestions.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a 60" IHLA JVC and I love it. Much larger footprint than a plasma, but it was cheaper for the size. The picture is great, contrast is great - I can't imagine being happier with a different kind. I shopped around a lot too - the plasmas just weren't big enough for the price at the time.

King also make sure to go out and look at them. Everyone sees differently and the best rated Tv in the world may look like crap to you. I used to recommend that to my customer back when I sold them. Also as for the gas comments earlier. It is partially true. Plasmas fade over time. But, you would never even notice it. The fading is very very gradual. You also can't re-charge them. Once they die they are gone. This is a very long time mind you. By the time one would die you would want a new TV anyways. I just don't like plasmas because I pause alot and walk away. This can be a problem for plasmas as an image may burn in. The reason I say I like HDILA's are because they eliminate ghosting that can often be seen on LCD's and DLP televisions just look grayed out to me. So I say go take a good look and see what looks good to you. Then make your decision.

Sound advise.

I am headed to Albuquerque this week to shop for a TV so I will check them out for sure.

Thnx, you naysaying ass monkey!

I just got a 60" IHLA JVC and I love it. Much larger footprint than a plasma, but it was cheaper for the size. The picture is great, contrast is great - I can't imagine being happier with a different kind. I shopped around a lot too - the plasmas just weren't big enough for the price at the time.

How much room do you need between you and the TV with a 60" screen?

How much did it cost you??

The Pioneer Kuro plasma tvs are supposed to be outstanding. check them out at pioneerelectronics.com issues such as burn-in and fading are pretty much gone in the newest models of plasma from what I read also. The Kuro's are supposed to be about as good as plamsa tvs get now and you can find them for around 2000-2500.

just go to pricegrabber.com and put the model number of whatever tv you pick out and it will find a bunch of prices with taxes and shipping (if any) for you. Thats how I found my DLP a few years ago for $1200 less than CC and Best Buy were selling it for. My friend is getting ready to pick up a 50" Kuro for like $2400 after searching there too.

Good suggestion here.

Go with at least 60"......even that will shrink on you over time.

;)

I dealt with this same question myself this past spring. I went with lcd for three reasons:

1) Plasmas have a higher power consumption
2) Plasmas can suffer from burn in
3) Plasmas have glossy screens (I prefer matte)

I had to weigh that against the bad for lcd's. The big ones for me were:

1) Ghosting (as mentioned previously)
2) Lower contrast ratio
3) Potential for stuck and/or dead pixels

After doing some research, I learned ghosting isn't really an issue with lcd's anymore (this is called "refresh rate" on the technical specs) and the contrast ratio isn't that much worse than plasmas.

Unfortunately, I fell victim to the third (and biggest) of the lcd complaints. I have so many devices that feature lcd screens and I have never once had a stuck or dead pixel. Well, my HD LCD tv had one stuck pixel that showed up a couple months after getting the tv. I tried the various fixes (massage the screen, rapidly change the picture from red to blue and green) and nothing worked. It's not really a big deal because you can't see it unless the screen is one solid color and you're sitting up close looking for it. But, it still bums me to know that it's there.

Regarding the comment about seeing it in person, this is good advice. However, many big box stores in my area don't bother to adjust settings to show the monitors full potential. Some don't even bother to broadcast an HD signal to it! Also, the fancy neon lights in stores and other televisions within close proximity will interfere with your testing. This is where online opinions can help. Search google and amazon for reviews under a specific part number. Seeing in person is important, but the only place I've been able to view tv's in a proper environment is in specialty stores.

Lastly, go here: https://www.avsforum.com/ and learn as much as possible. Lots of smart and helpful people there. The info ranges from n00b to ultra-geek.

I bought a 1080p LCD Polaroid 46" and I've been real happy with it. To me it was a good balance of quality and price. Although I did have a dead pixel straight out of the box and had to return the thing.

But once that was done its been smooth sailing **knocks on wood**

But like others it seemed the benefits of the LCD outweighed the plasma.

Good choice. I love mine as well! :cool:

I bought a 1080p LCD Polaroid 46" and I've been real happy with it. To me it was a good balance of quality and price. Although I did have a dead pixel straight out of the box and had to return the thing.

But once that was done its been smooth sailing **knocks on wood**

But like others it seemed the benefits of the LCD outweighed the plasma.
where did you get the polaroid?? never heard of it (television not the camera) im leaning towards the new LED samsung DLPs that are out. for the price i can get a 50" for $1000 which is perfect for me. :D but i still want to know if best buy/ circuit city price matches online retailer prices.

Well I went with my original choice, I picked up a Panasonic 50" plasma 1080p tv.

I have never really got to sit back and watch and HiDef movie.

I only have a couple Blu-Ray movies(300, Ghost Rider, POTC:CotBP, Sleepy Hallow), and tonight I have watched 300 and Pirates.

All I can say is OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HiDef is freakin amazing!!!! Just amazing.

And 2 of my PS3 games are in 1080p and they look awesome. Ninja Gaiden looks sick!!

All I can say is if you dont have an HD TV and either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray you MUST get it.

Very very cool! I am so HAPPY, and SOOOO broke:lol

Let the cancelations begin:lol

Amazon has the best prices around. I've been shopping for quite a while and have decided on the Samsung LNT4665F. I'll be getting one in the next couple of weeks.

I ordered my tv about two weeks ago. I got a Mitsubishi 52" LCD. Got a great deal on it. I just hope it gets here in time to watch Georgia show Hawaii what it is like to play real football.

Back