Hi-Def TV suggestions.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will most likely be picking up a new Hi Def TV this week.

I am leaning towards plasma.

Panasonic has a new 50" 1080p plasma out for $2599.99. Its the TH50PZ700U.

https://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pan...75537/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Anyone own one? Have any added suggestions about Plasma vs LCD...blah blah blah....

Thx.

I have heard that LCD is better than plasma...something about the gas tubes with plasma leaking over time and the picture quality not lasting as long as LCD....I'm not tech nut though so I don't know for sure or if this problem has since been corrected. I have LCD and I love it. :D

I have heard that LCD is better than plasma...something about the gas tubes with plasma leaking over time and the picture quality not lasting as long as LCD....I'm not tech nut though so I don't know for sure or if this problem has since been corrected. I have LCD and I love it. :D

I believe that was a problem with early generation plasmas. I have read that is pretty much not true anymore, plasamas are said to 60,000 hour life spans now.

Thats over 6 years of 24 hour a day viewing.

I have an HD LCD 32 inch. Its awesome! I don't know much about which is better, but from people I know and from what I hear Plasmas seem to have more technical issues than LCDs.

LCD's last longer but plasmas have better picture quality. The contrast ratio is better and it doesn't have the ghosting issues that LCD has. But, most current LCD's have a fast enough refresh rate that the ghosting is no longer an issue and since the prices continue to go down it's practical to be able to buy a good one. And they cost less.

40", and I got a deal from Best Buy because we have a Best Buy card, and we had a Rewards coupon also, so after all that it was about 2500 total.

Not a bad price.

No matter what I get I want at least 50" and 1080p.

Still up in the air over plasma or LCD.

Just remember King, you need a lot of space between you and your 50" to really see an HD picture. With a TV that big, if you're too close, it won't look it's full potential.

Not a bad price.

No matter what I get I want at least 50" and 1080p.

Still up in the air over plasma or LCD.

King also make sure to go out and look at them. Everyone sees differently and the best rated Tv in the world may look like crap to you. I used to recommend that to my customer back when I sold them. Also as for the gas comments earlier. It is partially true. Plasmas fade over time. But, you would never even notice it. The fading is very very gradual. You also can't re-charge them. Once they die they are gone. This is a very long time mind you. By the time one would die you would want a new TV anyways. I just don't like plasmas because I pause alot and walk away. This can be a problem for plasmas as an image may burn in. The reason I say I like HDILA's are because they eliminate ghosting that can often be seen on LCD's and DLP televisions just look grayed out to me. So I say go take a good look and see what looks good to you. Then make your decision.

Just remember King, you need a lot of space between you and your 50" to really see an HD picture. With a TV that big, if you're too close, it won't look it's full potential.

I have potential to put atleast 10' between me and the TV, I read you will need no less than 8' for 50" and above, so I think I should be fine there.

King also make sure to go out and look at them. Everyone sees differently and the best rated Tv in the world may look like crap to you. I used to recommend that to my customer back when I sold them. Also as for the gas comments earlier. It is partially true. Plasmas fade over time. But, you would never even notice it. The fading is very very gradual. You also can't re-charge them. Once they die they are gone. This is a very long time mind you. By the time one would die you would want a new TV anyways. I just don't like plasmas because I pause alot and walk away. This can be a problem for plasmas as an image may burn in. The reason I say I like HDILA's are because they eliminate ghosting that can often be seen on LCD's and DLP televisions just look grayed out to me. So I say go take a good look and see what looks good to you. Then make your decision.

I'm on and you're not!!

Back