Help choosing a game console

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's all about games, then I would recommend the Wii. If you are into Hi-Def movies and Hi-Def gaming then either go PS3 (Blu-Ray bonus) or the XBOX 360.

Myself, I have the Wii and the PS3, and no plans on getting the XBOX. I have a Toshiba A-20 for my HD DVD player (which is the only reason I considered a XBOX).

Like I said, as far as gaming goes. I love the Wii. My wife actually plays it with me. And, one of the best parts is you can go online to the Nintendo store and buy older games and download them to your Wii, original Nintendo (Super Marios Bros, or Donkey Kong for $5 a piece), Super NES, N64, Sega Genesis, Neo Geo, TurboGrafx 16 (I just bought Bonk's Adventure for $6 the other night, haven't played that one in like 15 years)...

the Wii is "fun", it won't blow you away w/amazing visuals or surround sound. It's all about the fun you had playing games the first time at home probably on the original Nintendo (if your my age). Yet, it is re-inventive all over again w/the controller. Bowling is alot of fun. Plus, the Wii is alot cheaper then the other 2.

My bottom line: I love my PS3, and I love my Wii. But, if I am basing my decision only on gaming. I would choose the Nintendo Wii.

Hope that helps. :)

I am worried that you don't have a system that can play Bioshock, GOW, Halo 3, or any other best rated game of the year.

When I was up at Loki's I played his wii ( shut up perverts ) and I have to say that wii sports was a lot of fun. Very interactive and fun. If it didn't have all the interactive stuff I don't see why I'd think about buying one as games are usually on both formats ( PS3 & 360 ).

Wii can be cool for kids too as they actually have to stand up and play the interactive stuff instead of just siting on the couch all the time. Kida already don't go "Outside and play" anymore like when I was a kid so anything that gets them off their asses can't be all bad.

The Wii is not just a 'kiddie' console. It has two of the best games on it, Metroid and the new Zelda. They use the Wii-mote very well and it makes the games a lot more interactive.

But the amount of great games for the 360 seems to be never ending. Bioshock, then Halo 3, now COD4, next Assasin's Creed, best Mass Affect. And let's not forget about the grand daddy of them all, The Force Unleashed.

Those of you that have more than one console - I'm concerned about HDMI hookups to my TV. There are only 2 for my TV and my TIVO has one and whatever HD player I get will have the other. So those of you who have an Xbox, PS3 and Wii - where do you plug everything in?
I have everything going through my receiver which has HDMI switching. I have the DirecTivo, and DVD player attached to the two HDMI ports, then the 360 and wii attached to the component connections. If i remember correct I could set up one more component device if needed. Then the receiver connects to the TV's HDMI port.

The reciever I got was $450 which is not to bad for having 2 HDMI inputs and 3 componet inputs and HDMI upconversion.

the Wii doesn't output thru HDMI. It runs thru Component (Red, Green, Blue).

So, no worries there on using an HDMI input on your TV for the Wii.

As far as the XBOX 360. I almost bought it a couple times. But, I figured the big games for it are First-Person-Shooter (Halo, Gears of War, Bioshock, etc.), and since I am not into FPS games. I decided not to buy the system.

Nothing to do with this thread, but I just had to say.....

KICK ASS ****IN' SIG DR2RED!!!!

The Kurgan approves!!!!
dr2red.jpg

Also, you have to buy the component cables separately. It ships only with regular yellow rca cables.

True. I forgot about that. I nabbed mine at Target, they had the Pelican brand marked down to $12.88

:D

I've got all 3 of the current consoles. And I can easily say the 360 is the best one overall.

They all get some play time, but if I am playing a game, 80% of the time its on the 360, 10% PS3, 10% Wii.

They are all great, but the lack of games on the PS3 and Wii, make them used far less often.

Xbox Live is also fantastic.

As for multiple hdmi inputs, since its just one plug, i just pop it out of the 360 and plug it into the ps3 when I want to play it. The Wii is on another input.

I also have all three console and have to say the 360 is the best by far. I use the PS3 typically for bluray movies and I haven't touched the Wii in a while. The PS3 really has nothing gamewise to draw you to it. They Wii is fun for sports games but I'm not a big fan of the wii remote (although I appear to be in the minority) and if you like a mario party type of game you can always get Viva Pinata Party animals for the 360. Bottom line though you can't get Gears of War, Halo 3 or Bioshock for any other system and that should be enough of a factor to sway you towards XBox.

Funny thing though in the last generation of consoles, most of our gameplay (the whole family) was pretty evenly split between the PS2 and the Gamecube with the XBox finishing a distant third.

Those of you that have more than one console - I'm concerned about HDMI hookups to my TV. There are only 2 for my TV and my TIVO has one and whatever HD player I get will have the other. So those of you who have an Xbox, PS3 and Wii - where do you plug everything in?

Wii - standard video out
PS3 - HDMI + optical audio out
Satellite Receiver - HDMI + optical audio out
XBox 360 - Component + optical audio out

Thanks for all of the great advice. I am still not sure what to get. I can't afford most of the units. I think I am leaning toward the handheld for convenience. No need to plug it to the tv etc. I would love the xbox 360 but
I had the original xbox and ended up not using it very much. I want ease of use. Pop in the game and away I go. I will go check out the PSP at a local best buy and see if it is really what I want. I assume I can plug in headphones so as to not disturb my husband when he is asleep.

Thanks for all of the great advice. I am still not sure what to get. I can't afford most of the units. I think I am leaning toward the handheld for convenience. No need to plug it to the tv etc. I would love the xbox 360 but
I had the original xbox and ended up not using it very much. I want ease of use. Pop in the game and away I go. I will go check out the PSP at a local best buy and see if it is really what I want. I assume I can plug in headphones so as to not disturb my husband when he is asleep.

Actually the Xbox or the Wii are probably the most easiest systems to use. The PS3 has a bunch of weird things you must do. Although I just got Drakes fortune for the PS3 and it might be the best game I've played yet this year. I really am enjoying it. Let us know how you make out.

Back