Having trouble scaling down my collection. Advice?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViperSRT

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all,

Don't worry this is not an "I quit the hobby" thread as I don't intend to. However when I was die hard into this hobby a few years back I amassed a substantially large Hot Toys collection. Other things have now taken priority and 1/6 figure collecting is not at the forefront of my thoughts shall we say. That being said simply because of the amount I have and not enough room to display them I've been thinking of scaling down my collection to make things more manageable. The issue I am facing, as I'm sure many of you have faced before, how do you over come the "I have not seen this figure in forever and was going to sell, but then opened it and now don't want to."? Or do some of you prioritize your collections? I'd appreciate any advice in this matter as I really appear to be stuck haha.

Thank you,

Mike

If the fig is boxed in storage and doesn't make the display cut that's usually the tell tale sign to sell it for me. The only exception would be if I planned to add display space/cabinets in the near future and tossed the fig in storage temporarily.

If it's just something cool you wanted or needed for completion, but has no personal deep meaning or emotional connection - sell it.

Sell everything you are on the fence about. When it is gone if you find you can't live without it just buy it again. I have used that method and I find that I don't rebuy anything I allow myself to sell. Some pieces are very hard to let go initially, but once they are gone I don't miss them as much as I thought I would. I tried the "one figure per character", certain lines only, what I love the most, no busts, no this or that, etc... but I can't stay limited to rigid rules like that.

I believe it's well documented (scientifically) that collectors are borderline hoarders. It's in our psychology...that's why you have a hardtime letting go.

If you haven't thought about, touched or looked at anything boxed up it for at least 6 month or more, sell it.
You paid for the idea of ownership without enjoying the piece and once it's gone you wont really miss it.
If you rotate your collection display for lack of space, that's different and keep what you're still interested in.

If it doesn't fit in with your current collection sell it if its in a box in storage sell it.

Sell everything you are on the fence about. When it is gone if you find you can't live without it just buy it again. I have used that method and I find that I don't rebuy anything I allow myself to sell. Some pieces are very hard to let go initially, but once they are gone I don't miss them as much as I thought I would. I tried the "one figure per character", certain lines only, what I love the most, no busts, no this or that, etc... but I can't stay limited to rigid rules like that.

Very true words. I haven't regretted selling anything yet. I am currently having a big internal debate about selling my Cinemaquettes. It is harder to sell something that is truly rare and might be very hard to replace, though like you said, I doubt I'd rebuy them anyways.

Well you probably prefer the figures you have on display, they ones you keep in the box need to go.

I think you'll find that the figures you thought you would sell but then opened and thought were too cool to sell - you will still ultimately sell those. They'll be first on your list to go if money is needed and at that point you probably won't really mind seeing them go. All Hot Toys figures look cool when first opened. But only the ones that you feel a connection to are worth keeping. The foremost question I ask myself is ''did the child 'me' ever want a figure of this character?'' I filter out a lot of stuff this way. This hobby is entirely about nostalgia for me now. Stuff from new films will more often than not be a pass and even classic movies of my childhood will be run through that screening process - yes I was aware of this movie as a child but did I wish I had toys from it? Yes/No. Marty McFly from Back to the Future got through and I have pondered selling him, but then I hear Huey Lewis' Power of Love playing in the pub and suddenly I want to keep the Marty figure again. It can be tough :lol

I think you'll find that the figures you thought you would sell but then opened and thought were too cool to sell - you will still ultimately sell those. They'll be first on your list to go if money is needed and at that point you probably won't really mind seeing them go. All Hot Toys figures look cool when first opened. But only the ones that you feel a connection to are worth keeping. The foremost question I ask myself is ''did the child 'me' ever want a figure of this character?'' I filter out a lot of stuff this way. This hobby is entirely about nostalgia for me now. Stuff from new films will more often than not be a pass and even classic movies of my childhood will be run through that screening process - yes I was aware of this movie as a child but did I wish I had toys from it? Yes/No. Marty McFly from Back to the Future got through and I have pondered selling him, but then I hear Huey Lewis' Power of Love playing in the pub and suddenly I want to keep the Marty figure again. It can be tough :lol

I'm having the same Dilemma with Marty as well. And for the exact same reasons you stated above. :lol Still unable to decide if he is "action figure worthy."

I'm having the same Dilemma with Marty as well. And for the exact same reasons you stated above. :lol Still unable to decide if he is "action figure worthy."

Well, i have the opinion that if you have more than 1 version of a character, that should go first. I have seen people with 4 Iron man figure and even 2 or more of the exact same figure, that screams of OCD borderline hoarding as mentioned above. Now if they have the cash and room for multiple versions , more power to them, but the collectors I have met with multiples there collection is often crammed in a small spot with multiple versions of the same character which to me dimishishes the value of the art in them and turns it into an attempted ownership of the character ........ Which is a little weird. (To me)

Now if your collection is that large and they are all individual characters.....thats a tough call! I would suggest looking at each one and try to figure out which ones brings you the most joy. Not which are most valuable or which ones are the rarest or even the best sculpt or most complimented or desired by others or which is largest or smallest. Which ones do you love for the kid in you. Make a list an put those at the top.....work backwards.

This is coming from some one who just sold his vintage Star Wars collection ......and it was huge , all from my childhood. I only kept a small amount of them (very small) and those were the ones I played with the most as a child. The collection sale is allowing me to take my family to Japan this year. ( where I will spend an entire day in Akihabara figure shopping) LOL

I generally put some things in the cupboard or storage, for a week or so to test if I`ll miss it, if not, I sell it

I will share my secret with you. For your toys and every other material possession you have.

Imagine there was a FIRE and everything you own was destroyed. Your insurance cuts you a check for all that stuff. Which things would you go out and actually REBUY with that cash, and which things would you NOT REBUY, opting to instead keep that cash to save or maybe spend on other things.

Those things you would NOT rebuy with your insurance money are the things you need to cut loose right now.

I had a bit of this happen to me recently. I had started preordering the Star Wars Hot Toys line, and I was telling my wife about it (who's always been very supportive of my hobby), and her response was, "I didn't think you were that into Star Wars?"

I had been thinking about how I was going to budget it, combined with my other collections, etc, and what she said was an epiphany. The reality is, I'm NOT that into Star Wars. I kindof bought into it just because it was Hot Toys. So I took a hard look at my collection, and other figures I was thinking about getting, and decided I need to just focus on certain things that I truly love and will always have a place both in display and in my heart (I know, that sounded weepy).

Both Star Trek and James Bond have always been a big deal for me since I was a little kid, and I really enjoy the MCU. Everything else can really go, with a few exceptions (Pirates of the Caribbean, Fast and Furious, Sherlock). But those other lines, for me, are already completed and I won't be spending any more $ on them.

Everything that's been said is completely true, I'm just saying that you might want to apply the same philosophy to your future purchases as well. Makes life a lot simpler when you can say "Well, that piece is cool, but it doesn't fit in with what matters to me, so nope."

I had a bit of this happen to me recently. I had started preordering the Star Wars Hot Toys line, and I was telling my wife about it (who's always been very supportive of my hobby), and her response was, "I didn't think you were that into Star Wars?"

I had been thinking about how I was going to budget it, combined with my other collections, etc, and what she said was an epiphany. The reality is, I'm NOT that into Star Wars. I kindof bought into it just because it was Hot Toys. So I took a hard look at my collection, and other figures I was thinking about getting, and decided I need to just focus on certain things that I truly love and will always have a place both in display and in my heart (I know, that sounded weepy).

Both Star Trek and James Bond have always been a big deal for me since I was a little kid, and I really enjoy the MCU. Everything else can really go, with a few exceptions (Pirates of the Caribbean, Fast and Furious, Sherlock). But those other lines, for me, are already completed and I won't be spending any more $ on them.

Everything that's been said is completely true, I'm just saying that you might want to apply the same philosophy to your future purchases as well. Makes life a lot simpler when you can say "Well, that piece is cool, but it doesn't fit in with what matters to me, so nope."

I jumped on a bunch of the upcoming SW HT's too. I'm a SW fan, but by staying away from this line I'll save thousands. There's so many figures coming that I'm probably going to skip buying any of them and same the cash for other things. Earlier in the thread I talked about debating on selling my Cinemaquettes....well I sold and shipped my Alien today. I really enjoy selling and replacing the items I have on my shelves, keeps it interesting.

We all go through this I think at one point or another. At first you want to buy everything that's shines and trending. Then you start to realize how much (or little) you actually care for the things you've bought. I got to the point where I realized I only really wanted (in terms of high end collecting) Johnny Depp and Suoerman related items. Once I made that decision, it made buying a lot easier and runner b/c you buy less (at least for me) and more eager to get what you ordered once it finally comes in. I do occasionally buy other things that mean a lot but it has become rare. Also deciding to change sces will also help refocus your collecting. Now I think to myself, "do I want all the 1/6 chargers from said property or will a PF be good enough to represent it on the shelf?" Sometimes I pick one or sometimes I get both if I feel the character warrants it. But I quit the HT Marvel and Nolan Batman drugs and that was the best thing I could've ever done. You just kinda have to pick with what really works for you. It's a tough decision but you'll feel better afterwards

First get rid of the stuff you are tripping over.
Then get rid of the stuff you have to tell your friends and family to watch out for and not bump into when they come over.
Now that you have room to move around your house chip away at the rest of it.
:panic:
I'm still working on the first step :lol

Back