Have you read The Lord of the Rings or just seen the movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you read The Lord of the Rings

• Total voters
Hmmm. They made us read the Hobbit in Jr high. It was required in English/Literature class. I've read it a few more times after that. It was a great fun book. I think i read LOTR twice. The first time was in Jr high after i read the Hobbit. I don't think it grasped my attention very well. The second time i read it was right before the films came out. I hate reading. It was hard to stay awake through it. Reading is boring and eats up precious hours of an already short life.

Bah, there are several French writers I would rank higher than Hugo, not even including the pseudo-Frenchman Samuel Beckett :peace

I wouldn't. Proust and Zola are garbage. Can't think of any others who could even piss in the same direction (and those two can only do it sitting down). Not in fiction at least. Maybe Rabelais, if he could stand up long enough to pull it out.

My favorite French author (that I've read) is Camus, though I also like Sartre and Zola quite a bit. In general I'm partial to the Russians over the French, though.

And I didn't mean to pull your thread so off topic, theJosh :lol My wife loves LOTR and so I do plan on reading it eventually. Movies were quite enjoyable.

^^I keep hoping that somehow, someway, St. Louis will do to the 49ers what they did to the Saints this week :lol Yeah, I'm not too optimistic on that front.

And I have no doubt that Tolkien is a great writer and that these books are worth reading (something I hope to do eventually), but Dostoyevsky is on a level all his own. I haven't read anyone who seemed to have better insight into the human condition.

Shakespeare.....nuff said :wave

My favorite French author (that I've read) is Camus, though I also like Sartre and Zola quite a bit. In general I'm partial to the Russians over the French, though.

And I didn't mean to pull your thread so off topic, theJosh :lol My wife loves LOTR and so I do plan on reading it eventually. Movies were quite enjoyable.

Its all good.

Reading is boring and eats up precious hours of an already short life.

Noooooooooooooooooo! :cuckoo:

Reading is great fun, curled up on the sofa in peace, letting your own imagination run wild as you imagine what the people and places look like, wondering what's going to happen next. You *could* put the book down for the night, or you *could* read on a few more minutes and find out what happens! Reading is great fun.

I try to read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the RIngs" every year. Frequently it ends up being every two years.

But what surprises me is that the books seem to take less and less time to read each time I do.

Back