Have you read The Lord of the Rings or just seen the movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you read The Lord of the Rings

• Total voters
Books and appendices, once.

Read the first page of the Silmarillion. Fell asleep reading The Hobbit when I was six. Made it about 50 pages. I'll try again before next December.

What I'd like to read all the way through are the histories.

Read LOTR and The Hobbit several times. Sil' a couple of times and the Children of Hurin (AAA+ read, even though it's partly covered in Sil). Lost Tales I find tricky to get into but it will click someday :lecture

I've said this a number of times....but bears repeating. Do NOT try to read the Sil as a "regular" book from front to back. That was my original tries. Instead, go through the table of contents and pick out a "chapter" - even if it's the last one (suggest starting with the war of the rings since you're already familiar with the story from LOTR). Then go on to another chapter and so forth. Folks don't realize that the Sil is actually a series of short stories/novellas. Once I finished up all the other chapters, I tackled the dense first chapter. After that, I was able to go from cover to cover in subsequent readings.

Can do the same for Book of Lost Tales.

I'm guilty and admit that I haven't read the books. I'm just not a reader by nature (damn you ADD!). However I did set myself a goal to read all 3 when I picked them up at a yard sale this past summer so we'll see how that goes in the coming months.

Read the first 2 LOTR books and half of the third. The third was just soooo boring with them walking and walking and walking and...

Read the first 2 LOTR books and half of the third. The third was just soooo boring with them walking and walking and walking and...

Remind me to slap you at CVI. :nana:

i have read the hobbit, lord of the rings, silmarillion, lost tales and unfinshed tales, etc all multiple times. lotr is a pretty much a yearly read for me. reading the hobbit to my kids atm.

This thread has seriously made me contemplate devoting 2012 to all things Tolkien. I just finished up The Hobbit recently and started on Tales from the Perilous Realm.

There is so much of Tolkien's work that I have never read. It would definitely make for an interesting year (or longer depending on how long it takes).

This thread has seriously made me contemplate devoting 2012 to all things Tolkien. I just finished up The Hobbit recently and started on Tales from the Perilous Realm.

There is so much of Tolkien's work that I have never read. It would definitely make for an interesting year (or longer depending on how long it takes).

I'm reading the Sil now and will read The Children of Hurin next. Then of course I'll mix in next year The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings again. Might even try to mix in something else like you said.

Side note: Those that have read the book but not the appendices please do yourself a favor and read them. Read just A & B they're really good and will add so much more to your reading.

I've had the hard cover with slip case for a while just never read it. Guess its time to really jump more into what Tolkien wrote.

It's so hard veering away from The Hobbit and LOTR books. They're so freaking good! :panic:

Totally agree. Some might not understand and its in someways hard to explain but there are just so many reasons why I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings ever year.

Back