Have you read The Lord of the Rings or just seen the movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you read The Lord of the Rings

• Total voters
I've read all of Tolkien's works, including the history of ME. I try to read the Sil, Hobbit and LOTR at least once every 2 years. I don't think I could read the history of ME again, at least in the near future. Reading through them was torture.:lol

My oldest brother nicknamed me hobbit when I was 2, I first read the book when I was 11, LOTR when I was 14 which led to Dungeons and dragons and several more readings. As a teenager I struggled through the Silmarillion but read it again as an adult and enjoyed it much more. About 5 years ago I got the Tolkien Companion and unfinished tales.
And I'm proud to say my 12 yr old son has started reading The Hobbit.

I've lost count how many times I've read The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. The first time was when I was 15 back in 1981. I remember trying to read the Silmarillion when I was 16 or 17 and couldn't get through it. It really is a tough read. I did eventually read it several years later... but only the one time. I should revisit it.

Been reading LOTR annually since 1967. I read Hobbit much less (not as enamored of it as LOTR, but I do pick it up every once in a while to get back to Middle-earth from another perspective). I read the Sil about every other year, as well as Book of Lost Tales, etc., that are other bits and pieces of the P'fessor's stuff.

That's pretty much my routine as well. Annual reread of LotR, and occasional rereads of the Hobbit, Sil, Unfinished Tales and HoMe

I read them for the Pizza Hut readers club when I was a kid.
Hey, I remember that! I guess their pro reading campaign sort of balances out all the childhood obesity that Pizza Hut has contributed to.

I never read Lord of the Rings. There are plenty of other literary classics that I still need to read before I get to that.

Hey, I remember that! I guess their pro reading campaign sort of balances out all the childhood obesity that Pizza Hut has contributed to.

I never read Lord of the Rings. There are plenty of other literary classics that I still need to read before I get to that.

Cut out all those hours watching Saints and LSU football and start reading. :lecture

Hey now, I read a fair amount, and appreciate great writing (look at my forum handle! :lol ), but there ain't nothing more rewarding than watching the Saints whoop up on somebody. You'll just have to wait in line like everybody else, William Faulkner.

They wrote books based on the movies? That's cool I guess, how accurate to the movies are they?

Reading hard. Moving pictures more better.

Read the series several times, ( I try and read it about every 3 or 4 years) and many of the lost tales, the hobbit, and the silmarillion (which was really tough to get into, it took about 100 pages before I was enjoying and understanding what the heck was going on, then I loved it.)

Hey now, I read a fair amount, and appreciate great writing (look at my forum handle! :lol ), but there ain't nothing more rewarding than watching the Saints whoop up on somebody. You'll just have to wait in line like everybody else, William Faulkner.

Glad to hear it, Fyodor. :nana:

FYI, the Saints may well be two weeks away from playing the Niners.:wink1:

^^I keep hoping that somehow, someway, St. Louis will do to the 49ers what they did to the Saints this week :lol Yeah, I'm not too optimistic on that front.

And I have no doubt that Tolkien is a great writer and that these books are worth reading (something I hope to do eventually), but Dostoyevsky is on a level all his own. I haven't read anyone who seemed to have better insight into the human condition.

Back