Hatred in Buffy set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olvidadero

Chipmunk Robot on Ice
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be a bit of a 'gossip boy' (you know you love me) here, but as I was watching the Paley Fest videos and reading stuff about it, I started to feel the urgent need to know some gossip about the cast. I've always been a fan of the show and never really cared about the relationships among the actors. I knew there were tensions, fights, I know Sarah didn't invite the cast to her wedding, as well as she didn't participate in any Buffy event until now, Charisma was said to be killed off after a fight with Joss about her untimely pregnancy... Yeah, okay, I heard stuff. I just heard Emma saying something like: "I was afraid to come here because I didn't know if we ended bad or what and I came here and said: 'Hi, oh, so we don't hate each other'. I'd like to know who is she referring to...

So to sum up all this blabbering: Who hated who? Why has there always been all that tension in the air? That's something that I think affected seriously the course of the series in its last seasons and the relationships between the characters, and it's kind of painful not knowing what was going on exactly. Does anyone know any good solid gossip about all this?

xoxo

Anytime you spend that much time around people they tend to get on your nerves, but being adults most of them will get over it. The tricky part is that artists tend to get more pissy than the average person.
We also know Nicholas Brendan was doing a lot of drinking at the time, and Sarah wanted to move on.

One of the nastier stories is that Cordelia was supposed to be the big bad in Angel (in whatever season she got pregnant).

Anyway as the story goes, this messed up their plans as she couldn't really do any physical fight scenes and it was suggested from some pretty high up people that Charisma Carpenter might consider getting an abortion.

Instead of Cordelia as the big bad, they introduced Jasmine as the villain that season. Pretty nasty story if its true.

As I said its all rumour and thats why I've left the details vague for fear of naming anyone in particular.

One of the nastier stories is that Cordelia was supposed to be the big bad in Angel (in whatever season she got pregnant).

Anyway as the story goes, this messed up their plans as she couldn't really do any physical fight scenes and it was suggested from some pretty high up people that Charisma Carpenter might consider getting an abortion.

Instead of Cordelia as the big bad, they introduced Jasmine as the villain that season. Pretty nasty story if its true.

As I said its all rumour and thats why I've left the details vague for fear of naming anyone in particular.

yeah, i hard that one too.
crazy.

Couldn't Cordelia been a "big baddie" without having to do anything physical? It's not like Jasmine was doing any hand-to-hand combat with Angel.

Eric

Getting off the topic a bit, but I just love when I see current shows with actors who have worked together in the past. I always wonder if they say, "Hey, I remember you!" Case in point, in a later episode "Angel" during an office party, Lorne, under a spell, unknowingly is making everyone do what he says. There's a scene where two attorneys enter an elevator after the party. One of the attorneys is T.J. Thyne who plays Dr. Jack Hodgins on Boreanaz's new show "Bones". Thynes and Boreanaz didn't share any lines, but they were in the same scene. I wonder if when "Bones" was being casted, Thynes came up to Boreanaz and said, "remember me?"

Ok, now back to the gossip.

Eric

Some of the rumours (not confirmed folks) from googling the net, courtesy of the Charisma Carpenter discussion forums:

1.) Christian Kane originally auditioned for the role of Riley on BTVS. He didn't get that part, but producers like him so much he was offered the role of Lindsey on ATS.
2.) David Fury had originally wrote a much darker script for Season One Episode Two. The script had Kate taking drugs and being a prostitute, while Angel licked blood off of a murder victim. It was later changed to "Lonely Hearts."
3.) Doyle's death was planned in advance, and Glenn Quinn knew the role would be short term going in.
4.) Joss Whedon's portrayal of Numfar during the Pylean saga was kept a big secret initially. The only ones that knew where David Greenwalt, Tim Minear, David Boreanaz, and a few key makeup people.
5.) Waiting in the Wings was created after Amy Acker mentioned to Joss Whedon that she used to be a ballerina. There was even an extra ballet scene filmed in which Wesley and Fred replaced the leads.
6.) The character of Gwen Raiden was originally supposed to debut in "Deep Down."
7.) The episode "Players" contains several hidden dirty jokes.
8.) The producers had originally planned for Cordelia to wake up and kill Jasmine in the next to last episode of season four, but plans where changed after Charisma suffered complications during childbirth, and her doctor wouldn't release her to do any physicality.
9.) In "Awakening," the reason Angel said "Buffy" was because he had said it the two previous times he switched from Angel to Angelus, and Angelus to Angel on BTVS.
10.) The C/A ship was killed off because it was unpopular with the fans.

11.) Originally there was not going to be a Jasmine character in Season Four. Cordelia was just going to be evil.
12.) The original ending for season four was a big battle between Angel and Evil Cordy.
13.) Though they didn't come right out and say it, the producers implied to Charisma that she should get an abortion.
14.) Andy Hallett was added to the credits with nine episodes left in Season Four, because they thought the show might be cancelled.
15.) Gunn's urinating on Angel's desk in "Life of the Party" is based off an actual incident that involved crew members on BTVS.
16.) Michelle Trachtenberg had originally agreed to reprise her role as Dawn for "The Girl In Question," but had to cancel after the shooting schedule on her movie was changed.
17.) The final six Angel episodes contain several hidden potshots at WB executives.
18.) Sarah Michelle Gellar was asked to appear as Buffy Summers in Angel's 100th episode, but had to cancel due to a family death.
19.) Charisma Carpenter turned down Mutant Enemy's inital offer to appear in "You're Welcome."
20.) The original script for season five episode 17, featured Harmony getting her soul back, and the return of Lilah Morgan.

21.) Vincent Kartheiser (Connor) had signed a multiyear deal for Angel, but was fired after bringing up concerns over how his character was being handled.
22.) David Boreanaz and Christian Kane were very uneasy over the Lindsey posing as Doyle storyline in Season Five.
23.) Christian Kane was brought back to Angel as a favor to David Boreanaz.
24.) Mercedes McNab was added to the opening credits for the final six episodes, because the show was being cancelled.
25.) Nicholas Brendon had originally offered to go over Angel after BTVS ended. However, Joss Whedon turned him down, because he "wouldn't fit in."
26.) Had there been a season six, Seth Green was supposed to return as Oz to help Nina deal with being a werewolf.
27.) Navi Rawat was scheduled to return for more episodes as Dana the psycho slayer.
28.) There were two plans regarding Fred/Illyria. One was to have Willow seperate them, while the other was for Illyria to start taking on more of Fred's characteristics.
29.) Had Angel gone to a season six, Tom Lenk (Andrew) was going to become a regular cast member.
30.) The contracts for Alexis Denisof (Wesley), J. August Richards (Gunn), and Andy Hallett (Lorne) had expired, and they were not going to be brought back for season six.

These were supposed to have been confirmed as being true

1 - Also Christian and David are friends, so that couldn't have hurt with him getting the role of Lindsey.
2 - I have the original script for "Lonely Hearts" on my other puter, I'll post it soon, if anyone's interested
3 - The rumours about Doyle being killed off because Glenn Quinn and CC didn't get along weren't true, it was always planned for Doyle to die early on in the season.
5 - Amy revealed this in an interview a couple of years ago.
10 - The A/C ship was stopped for many reasons, but one major one was that fans didn't like it.
11 - Plausible, seeing as no-one knew CC was gonna get pregnant.
16 - Michelle had agreed to do the episode, but was busy filming. I believe Joss spoke about it in an interview.
17 - "Jump the Shark" anyone?!
24 - From what I understand MMcN was added to the credits due to the shows cancellation and they producers thought that after 8 years in the BtVS/Angel universe it might be nice for her to put it as a 'regular' credit on her resume.
25 - Joss and Nic have both spoken about this in interviews. Nic was keen and so was Joss, but they couldn't find a place for him.
26 - Not sure about the validity of this one, though I have heard a lot about it, so it's more likely than a lot of other crap doing the rounds.
28 - The plan regarding Fred/Illyria was to have Illyria take on more of Fred's personality as she had slowly begun in the final episodes. This was revealed by one of the writers, but I can't remember who.
34 - True

Though they didn't come right out and say it, the producers implied to Charisma that she should get an abortion.

If true, that is just awful.

The original script for season five episode 17, featured Harmony getting her soul back

:monkey4

Had Angel gone to a season six, Tom Lenk (Andrew) was going to become a regular cast member.

:monkey4 :monkey4

Wow, Raelthorne, lots of rumours to digest! Some of them are pretty nasty, especially the ones involving Charisma. If that abortion thing is true, it's just insane... It's better not to believe something like that unless you've proof of it.

So all the rumors are mostly 'Angel' ones. Some interesting tidbits there (some I heard in the past, other's I've never heard of).

I didn't follow many of the rumors that surrounded 'Angel' or 'Buffy...' but there were rumblings here and there over on E! when 'Buffy...' was still on the air. Though nothing specific was never really talked about over there, there were many occasions where it was made obvious there were tensions on the set in regards to Emma and another cast member never named (even up to the death of her character at the end of the last televised season). I also heard there were problems while Amber Benson was on the show and she never returned due to the problems she had with 'other' people on the show.

As I stated, those rumours are just from googling. There an article on aint it cool news at the moment about a recent panel with all the Buffy cast.

Although I don't like it normally, the talkback on the article is a good resource to look at, to find out who didn't like who on set.

Makes for interesting reading and may give an insight.

The only substantiated rumor I've heard was the while the Buffy cast was pretty close - i.e. having Shakespeare night at Joss' house - Sarah never participated and kept kind of aloof from the rest of the cast. Joss said in an interview that there's some pressures with being the star of a show that distances one from the other cast members, alluding that Sarah went through this.

The biggest rift I heard of was between Sarah and Alyson. They were very close friends earlier on. Sarah even held up a sign saying hi to her at the end on her SNL episode during the closing credits, but later on as Alyson did better in the movies than Sarah with the American Pie series, grudges emerged.

I heard it was Sarah towards Alyson, and also that Sarah ended up playing prima donna on the set alot.

At the same time, Sarah was really unhappy with the show during the ending seasons because Buffy was gloomy/down so much and did things Sarah felt were ragingly out of character and couldn't rationalize (sex spree), so she was SO ready to bail when she could. I honestly can't blame her at all for that. I love Buffy as a series, but it really suffered from Joss' leaving and became very uneven.

I always have felt there was a LOT of bad behind the scenes crap that made the shows relationships get side railed later on. I hated the lack of use/growth of xander, but maybe he physically wasn't capable of it and the writers knew that because of his drinking?

At the same time, Sarah was really unhappy with the show during the ending seasons because Buffy was gloomy/down so much and did things Sarah felt were ragingly out of character and couldn't rationalize (sex spree), so she was SO ready to bail when she could. I honestly can't blame her at all for that. I love Buffy as a series, but it really suffered from Joss' leaving and became very uneven.

I don't blame her for wanting to bail either, those last two seasons were a real mess.

The Alyson Hannigan thing makes sense too. She's been quite a bit more successful outside of Buffy, I could see Sarah having a bit of the green eyed monster.

No way that rumor 30 is true. Whedon talked about how season six would have had an arc that involved Wesley dealing with his feelings for Fred and Illyria once they were split.

No way that rumor 30 is true. Whedon talked about how season six would have had an arc that involved Wesley dealing with his feelings for Fred and Illyria once they were split.

I can't see that those three wouldn't have been back for season 6. I have to admit, I could do without Gunn, but I needed Lorne and Wesley. I couldn't watch it without Wes, that's for sure! For me it's like watching Buffy without Willow...say WHAT? lol. Can't be done in my opinion.

I don't blame her for wanting to bail either, those last two seasons were a real mess.

The Alyson Hannigan thing makes sense too. She's been quite a bit more successful outside of Buffy, I could see Sarah having a bit of the green eyed monster.

Funny, I think seasons 6 and 7 are the best in the series. They are terribly underrated, imo.

I agree. In fact, Joss went on to say that IF Angel HAD came back after being cancelled or if there was a film that he would find a way to bring back Wesley. "I loves me some Wesley" was the direct quote I believe. He also stated that he thought Alexis Denisof was insanely talented.

It's a shame we haven't seen AD in anything recently.

Back