Hasbro HyperReal Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It concerns me that a lot of expensive figures are starting to deviate from traditional hard plastic and are experimenting with new materials. I fear that these trade great looks for longevity. I don't expect a long lifespan from Sideshow 1/6 & Premium Format (holster on my PF Indy has split since they used glue instead of stitching), Hot Toys, other 1:6 scale that use pleather & silicone/rubber, Mezco One:12 and any 1/12 that are starting to use spandex/cloth with rubber/latex printed on it (I expect peeling).

I'm not even sure of the longevity of modern hard plastics. I have some Yamato Macross stuff that has crumbled in the box.

I am a big fan of my Vader HyperReal figure, but I doubt I'll be getting any other figures in this line (if they make more than Luke). Luke looks off to me and using rubber seems like an odd choice for him.

An all rubber figure seems an odd choice, we are not even sure of the longevity of silicone rubber as its a fairly new material, I worked with different rubbers and foams being a mask and prop builder, not sure I like the all rubber luke body I thought they would use cloth, vader looks fine works for him

I just picked up Vader on Amazon for $43.49. They were having a promotion that knocked off a chunk of change. I saw one of these displayed at a local shop and thought it looked boss but not for $80. I'm going to risk the rubber and hope this lasts for many years...lol

I was interested in this line until I found out they were using rubber bodies. I never understood the logic of making rubber outfits instead of cloth outfits.

I was interested in this line until I found out they were using rubber bodies. I never understood the logic of making rubber outfits instead of cloth outfits.

Cost. The thing about this line that I never understood about this line is the scale, anything between 1/6 and 1/12 is basically a dead zone for toys IMO unless you're NECA and the only one making anything like they're doing, like all the horror figures etc.

Rubber for Luke's outfit is a poor choice. I like it on the Vader but think this line is now dead after Luke. It's going to be really bad for dust bc it will be difficult to get off.

The prototype pics for Luke had him very cartoony and even the production photos look it now. Very odd.

I don’t understand why so many people thought these were going to have cloth clothing. I thought it was very clear from the outset these were going to be seamless rubber figures with internal skeletons.

But I’ve seen so many comments about it from people that I have to wonder if hasbro wasn’t clear or perhaps even gave out conflicting info at times because there are people out there who were 100% certain Luke would have a fabric outfit.

I don’t understand why so many people thought these were going to have cloth clothing. I thought it was very clear from the outset these were going to be seamless rubber figures with internal skeletons.

But I’ve seen so many comments about it from people that I have to wonder if hasbro wasn’t clear or perhaps even gave out conflicting info at times because there are people out there who were 100% certain Luke would have a fabric outfit.

I am not surprised he has the cloth clothing, I am disappointed in the choice in general. It works for characters like Vader who have armor over the rubber parts. All rubber is a poor choice in my opinion after seeing how much dust collects and is difficult to get off my Vader.

Same here, from the start I knew everything in the line was going to be a rubber body without soft goods.

I think Hasbro's operation is too big to create 1/12 figures with soft goods the quality of Mezco. They'd rather do stuff like this, make it bigger to have an automatic price jump and can still mass produce them. Or they do Black Series with limited soft goods, and you get the quality of the ANH Luke in bath robes for $20.

Vader had a rubber body, but he still had a cloth cape and tunic. Given these were marketed as "high-end" Star Wars figures, with the name being "Hyperreal" (and only being shown an early render of Luke), I think assuming he'd have a cloth costume wasn't outrageous.

These actually look kind of cool and now - seeing the packaging and the set - I understand why they are so expensive. I had never intended to (despite being intrigued by the Vader) but will likely pick up a Luke and a Vader just to see them in-hand, and they are a natural pairing for display. Headsculpt on the Luke looks decent.

Quite an unusual collectible really, almost a super high-end version of the 1995 bendy figures. I do have concerns about longevity of the material without cracking but you would assume Hasbro would know that (I mean the material must have been part of the idea for these) and have been certain it would hold up.

People saying they wanted cloth don't seem to be getting the idea of these - the idea of super detailed sculpt on a rubbery body. It's intriguing because with some 1/6 figures this material (assuming it's similar to the newer Phicen-type bodies that "don't crack":pray:) could be a solution to certain body types where joints look bad, but how clothing looks it obviously pretty critical. Also, I really don't think something like Luke's Bespin outfit would look good in fabric at this scale.

I will say though the pose looks slightly wonky in that pic on the lower right of the packaging where Luke has his right arm bent at 90 degrees. Has a bit of "bendy fig" vibe.

I think some people probably interpreted the 'rubber figure with an internal skeleton' to mean something akin to Phicen figures. Although this approach would have been odd for SW where so few characters have much of any skin showing aside from heads, v-necks and hands.

I like the way they did Vader and am glad they started with him. Being a Vader fan, I knew I could be happy with one-and-done if the subsequent figures weren't to my liking.

Just saw Justin's Review for Luke and I have to say that it looks pretty good!

I would be down for a Han and Chewie. It would be good as well if they continued to stick to the ESB figures and not jump around to the other movies so they can make Hoth gear versions.

The Vader is great. Granted I only paid $40 for him, but he is very impressive. But, I don't feel he's worth anything more than maybe $50, which I would've paid and PO'd him day one rather than wait for a substantial discount. But really he too is the only character I would've bought without doubt, just like any Vader in various formats I buy.

This is an odd line, and price points should vary based on character. Just like any other "higher end" collectible. Look at Vader next to Luke. He towers over him. So price points should not both be $80. They are not released in cases or waves like action figures and produced in batches. Each figure is a stand alone release. Vader should've been $50 and Luke $40. I think at those prices more fans would've given it a chance.

This line unfortunately was doomed from the onset.

I agree--these 2 are probably all we're going to see from this line. I think it's a shame because they turned out pretty good. But I also agree the price point was overly high. I would say $50/$60 might still have been a fair full price, with most places offering them for sale at $40/$50 like you suggested.

Back