Hasbro Ghostbusters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hasbro gets Ghostbusters license

Personally, I don't understand the nostalgia for the Real Ghostbusters.

I guess if you never had them as a kid, they'd be desirable.

But I did have them as a kid, all of them, and even back then, I remember being extremely disappointed. I didn't want goofy, weird cartoon figures, where Ray was fat and Egon was tall and lanky and had weird white hair. I just wanted toys that looked like they looked in the movie. But they didn't make those, so I settled for what I could get.

The proton stream effect was one of the dumbest, laziest things a toy company ever did. Instead of having the stream detach, it's permanently attached the wands. So when they put the wands on the backpack, which should have been a cool feature, they looked like morons cause they all had these giant streams going straight up. Not only that, it made the wants attach upside down.

Eventually, my brothers and I just said screw it, and cut the stupid streams off. They made much better toys after that.

We didn't have the firehouse, but we had the Ecto 1 and that was and still is a great toy. We had "Green Ghost" and Marshmallow Man too, but didn't get too deep into the line after that. I think I had the Fright Feature Ray, cause I wanted a version of him with the goggles, but of course, those were molded to his head and he had no hole for a proton pack. I don't know what those designers were thinking. They had an opportunity to make great toys but they cheaped out so many times.

I'm much more excited about the movie toys. That's what I've wanted since 1984; not those goofy colored toon versions.

I was more of a fan of the cartoon to begin with, so I preferred the colorful outfits and weapons. The movie colors were dull, imo. The only thing I didn't like were the streams not being detachable. I used to cut them off. :lol

One thing that's kind of impressive about the 4 Kenner ghostbusters, is that they don't share any parts, which is a rarity for big toy companies nowadays.

Anyways, I hope this line doesn't end with the first wave of RGB. Originally, the second wave included the same 6 figures from wave one, plus 3 more ghosts and the ecto-1.

I think the third wave included the fright features figures, which were the most popular, but I didn't like that they didn't came with the proton packs.

I really want a second wave with ecto 1. So many companies like Mattel, Diamond Select, and Mezco have made figures, but no car in scale with the figures. :(

Playbobile made the cars and firehouse and they're awesome, but their figures suck.

I still have the Kenner firehouse, but I'd buy it again if they rerelease it. I doubt they will rerelease such a big item tho.

Given the simplicity of The RGB sculpts, I always wanted to see the line come back ReAction-style. You could literally just shrink them down, and I like to think the smaller scale would allow the line to go deeper.

Personally, I don't understand the nostalgia for the Real Ghostbusters.

I guess if you never had them as a kid, they'd be desirable.

But I did have them as a kid, all of them, and even back then, I remember being extremely disappointed. I didn't want goofy, weird cartoon figures, where Ray was fat and Egon was tall and lanky and had weird white hair. I just wanted toys that looked like they looked in the movie. But they didn't make those, so I settled for what I could get.

The proton stream effect was one of the dumbest, laziest things a toy company ever did. Instead of having the stream detach, it's permanently attached the wands. So when they put the wands on the backpack, which should have been a cool feature, they looked like morons cause they all had these giant streams going straight up. Not only that, it made the wants attach upside down.

Eventually, my brothers and I just said screw it, and cut the stupid streams off. They made much better toys after that.

We didn't have the firehouse, but we had the Ecto 1 and that was and still is a great toy. We had "Green Ghost" and Marshmallow Man too, but didn't get too deep into the line after that. I think I had the Fright Feature Ray, cause I wanted a version of him with the goggles, but of course, those were molded to his head and he had no hole for a proton pack. I don't know what those designers were thinking. They had an opportunity to make great toys but they cheaped out so many times.

I'm much more excited about the movie toys. That's what I've wanted since 1984; not those goofy colored toon versions.

It's definitely dependent on when you were born. I was born in '82, so I knew the movie but I wasn't all about it. But I watch the Real Ghostbusters almost every day. So the cartoon are my Ghostbusters.

At the same time I wasn't old enough to get these actual reproduced Kenner toys. I had the later ones that had all the weird gimmicks with them. I've got the Diamond Select sets and I'm pretty good and done unless someone does Samhain anyway.

I only had Winston from the first wave, so this will be the first time I own the entire first series of figures in their cartoon color jumpsuits. I used to have

First wave Winston
Freight features
Egon
Winston
Rey
Peter
The universal monsters
Frankenstein
Dracula
Mummy
Wolfman
Hunchback
Large yellow slimer ghost
Egon - slimed jumpsuit pink proton pack
Peter - jumpsuit pink proton pack
Rey - pink proton pack
Toilet monster
Ecto 1
Firehouse
Proton pack
Pke meter

Good times.

Just for info two pics of the 1/16 Eaglemoss Ghostbusters figures.

It’s really accurate and in the mood of the movie. Little price and a lot of nostalgia.

fHcRVv7.jpg

Back