Hasbro appreciation thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to get my hands on some nice 3.75s, but won't hold my breath, seems like when they make anything decent, its going to be in very short supply and they'll discontinue making it asap. :lol

I completed my New Trilogy trip recently, despite the lack of articulation, Luke is very impressive.

IMG_7696.JPG

That feels kind of like a "Sunset Blvd" and "Hobo with a Shotgun" mash-up, but it is really impressive to see all of them together.:clap

IMG_1916.jpg
Guess I got the whole set! See this is the problem I have with the Star Wars figures today. They don't list any of the other figures in the line.

No one got it...

Anyway, I don't think they're allowed to do catalogs/card backs like that anymore. Some kind of law concerning advertising toys that won't be out within a certain time frame, I think. I guess it gives kids/stupid parents the notion that they are available and then they complain or something. I dunno.

I could see something like that, we live in a world where people like to complain just to get some "fame" out of being the one to bring about change.

Pretty soon farting will be outlawed...

As far as Hasbro, I feel like they are at a cross roads. Their 3.75" line is pretty terrible quality, and their 6" line is very hit and miss. More misses than hits. And the hits, like Emperor's guard or emperor were impossible to find for retail price. At least in my area. I really wish they would offer a deluxe collector line that focused on top quality, each time. Kinda how the mattel he-man line is, but with way less reuse

What I don't understand is why Hasbro has gone back to the 70s/80s style with their main Star Wars figures, if anything, that would make sense packed on a vintage cardback but continue the heavy articulation on the standard releases. Some figures look nice in the current format like Kylo Ren and the new Jedi Master Luke, but some don't hold up as well and look too vintage without actually being vintage.

@OHN:That would be cool, but it's nice to have something at this price point. There's always Figuarts for the next level, ya know? I feel same towards Hasbros old 12" line. While most were bad compared to today's offerings, it was $20 compared to $200. And there were some pretty great ones, Dooku, Gamorean, Mundi, etc.

@Maulfan: it's just money. They can't do all that POA for the <$10 price point which is what 3 3/4" needs to be, for kids and parent alike.

I will say one thing about the 5POA stuff. Some of the sculpts are fantastic and that's due to having less articulation. The figures look cleaner being less pieces. I'm s carded collector, so I couldn't care less if they were 0POA, but I understand why fans are annoyed.

Now, if we combined both this is issue with OHNs, THATS what Hasbro should do. Offer SA, ultra detailed, great paints, TVC cards, 3 3/4" figure to collectors online only. Just make them $20. You know fans will pay it.

I don't think POA has to do with cost. I bought the Hulk/Thor 2pack from Ragnarok at the 3 3/4" scale and while not SA figures, they have more articulation to them than the standard Star Wars figure and it was $20 for the set which is $10 a figure.

I bet they could do it, but I'm guessing most collectors who'd care so much about POA have moved onto the likes of Hot Toys and Sideshow so Hasbro doesn't care too much.

I also think most of the 6" series is overpriced for quality, NECA produces highly articulated figures in that scale with a much higher quality.

I dunno maybe Hasbros contract for the SW license costs more, so there's less profit margin? I know a few years back you could get Joe's with like 10 accessories for the same price as a single accessory SW figure, as Hasbro owned GIJOE, so there was no middle man. I realize in your example they are both Hasbros products and both owned by Disney, but maybe the SW deal was done years ago.

Anyway, speaking of 5POA, this is now considered the best sculpted Fett figure in existence. I have to agree, it's pretty sweet. They even gave him that tilted hip swagger, however, he can't hold his gun cross body like in the movies. It's give and take.

2irkghz.png

Could they have given him elbows and swivel hands, sure, and it wouldn't detract much from the sculpt, but if those 4 extra parts cost $.xx and the bottom line has to be $x.xx, then they'd have to cut back on the new tooling and we'd just get another rehash. It's a double-edged sword, IMO.

My favorite Fett is still the 300th figure version.

753951deb8e6b5a4d91ec7d288040ac1.jpg

I'd give that one above 2nd best though, Fett has surprisingly been a character often mishandled by Hasbro.

I also thinkin Rogue One Vader is one of their best Darth Vaders.

They have some really nice figures in the current style, don't get me wrong, just really struck me odd to regress the format to an older style instead of continuing to push it forward.

Star-Wars-Rogue-One-Darth-Vader-Figure-Packaged-e1472848190838.jpg

The interesting thing about that hasbro rogue one Vader is that I am pretty sure the artist of the boxart used the Hot Toys Vader as his model. The proportions and fit of the outfit are much closer to the HT figure than any of the movie Vader.

As for hasbro, I am hoping the figures will look a lot better this spring when they start using the face paint printing technology that bandaids uses for the figuarts line. The Rey they showed off with this new technology looks great.

No one got it...

Anyway, I don't think they're allowed to do catalogs/card backs like that anymore. Some kind of law concerning advertising toys that won't be out within a certain time frame, I think. I guess it gives kids/stupid parents the notion that they are available and then they complain or something. I dunno.

From memory, most if not all of those featured figs were available on reissued cards back in the day. They weren't "hey look at the figs we released in 1979" - it was more like "you can buy a 1979 SW fig in 1983 with updated packaging."

Pretty soon farting will be outlawed...

As far as Hasbro, I feel like they are at a cross roads. Their 3.75" line is pretty terrible quality, and their 6" line is very hit and miss. More misses than hits. And the hits, like Emperor's guard or emperor were impossible to find for retail price. At least in my area. I really wish they would offer a deluxe collector line that focused on top quality, each time. Kinda how the mattel he-man line is, but with way less reuse

The "centerpiece" sets (Vader/Tantive, Luke/ATAT) look very cool and DX-ish but they are pricey. The Vader sculpt looks great. They knda remind me of those 6-7" Unleashed statues Hasbro did maybe 12 years ago, especially the Luke in Snowspeeder gear.

The interesting thing about that hasbro rogue one Vader is that I am pretty sure the artist of the boxart used the Hot Toys Vader as his model. The proportions and fit of the outfit are much closer to the HT figure than any of the movie Vader.

As for hasbro, I am hoping the figures will look a lot better this spring when they start using the face paint printing technology that bandaids uses for the figuarts line. The Rey they showed off with this new technology looks great.

Didn't Gentle Giant do some kind of "face scan" technology a few years ago? I thought one of the companies did.

Youre probably right! Kinda like how the artist on the first Vader comic series clearly used the SSC Deluxe vader as a model. The entire series had SSC Vader running around lol (not that it was a bad thing, the art was awesome)

I think Hasbro might've already started doing that with some marvel Legends, its a huge improvement.

Back