Hasbro 6" Black Series Star Wars line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's clear how Ticketmaster can profit (when they own one of the resale sites:slap) but not sure how Hasbro makes a killing on online seller sites they don't own.

Hasbro likely employs others to do secondary market selling, without at all being required to make that association in any way public. No large corporation wants their products to be consistently sold at a 100-200% mark up overall retail, because it can seriously undermine consumer confidence and damage the market long term. Unless, of course, they can find a way to receive a piece of the action - then scalping becomes a lucrative subsidiary revenue stream that invites significant cultivation.

Hasbro already officially encourages the scalping system by making key products of a line (R5D4, etc.) exclusive to certain chain stores, which they and the chains know full well produces artificial scarcity. And they know full well that online commerce, particularly with scarce goods, is the preferred means of acquiring such goods (relative to age, gender and income). The big corporations have incredible insight into how consumers (and collectors) think, act and buy, so it's hard for me to believe that Hasbro wouldn't exploit the secondary underside of their market with the same clinical efficiency they apply to bricks and mortar toy aisles. It can't be a chance thing, because there's too much money at stake.

https://infoscout.co/brand/star_war...sJw.0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com.au/

https://www.quantcast.com/blog/the-fans-behind-the-force/

This next one is pretty standard marketing talk, but shows the depth of analysis into the market:

https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/s/meetingArchive?eventId=8j7mr1ev2e17

https://qz.com/527781/hasbro-still-...thanks-to-star-wars-its-boys-unit-is-booming/

Im not defending Hasbro here, they're a corporation and it is all about money for sure. But Im not sure I would say that R5-D4 and the re-release of X-Wing Luke would be considered key products in the line. If there has to be exclusives, it seems to me those are pretty fair choices of characters, kinda like the troopers they've done for TRU and Target, just repaints for the most part.

They did a key character exclusive with Cassian in the Target 3-pack, but aftermarket demand just isn't there for that set so you don't hear any complaints about it, and obviously Hasbro hasn't exploited any kind of secondary underside on that because those are still littering the shelves.

Honestly I think the only reason the 40th stuff is so hot is because fans put a huge nostalgic value on them. It's those vintage cards man, and it's worked on me lol! As far as the actual figures go, Vader's really the only stand out figure so far. Thank god he's not some hard to get exclusive or anything!

I don't have the nostalgia bug for cardboard and i'm at an age where I do not collect for financial gain and packaging has a home called the garbage lol.

My only priority is proper use of funds which as we all know is a very difficult thing to do in this hobby.

Money saved on useless packaging can go to another figure.

For me it's always about the toy and not what it comes in.

So for me the wait for new Vader continues until the fall.

I also don't subscribe to completing a line, for example clearly the SH Han destroys the Hasbro Han so I would never buy the Hasbro Han just to feel good about completing a line when a far superior version already exists in that same scale. I'll just take the $25 saved and put it towards the more expensive superior version.

Again, it's about utilizing the money as best as possible.

Regarding Hasbro business practices stop stressing over it, keep your coronary arteries healthy for all the bacon egg and cheese sandwiches you will eat.

I don't have the nostalgia bug for cardboard and i'm at an age where I do not collect for financial gain and packaging has a home called the garbage lol.

My only priority is proper use of funds which as we all know is a very difficult thing to do in this hobby.

Money saved on useless packaging can go to another figure.

For me it's always about the toy and not what it comes in.

So for me the wait for new Vader continues until the fall.

I also don't subscribe to completing a line, for example clearly the SH Han destroys the Hasbro Han so I would never buy the Hasbro Han just to feel good about completing a line when a far superior version already exists in that same scale. I'll just take the $25 saved and put it towards the more expensive superior version.

Again, it's about utilizing the money as best as possible.

Regarding Hasbro business practices stop stressing over it, keep your coronary arteries healthy for all the bacon egg and cheese sandwiches you will eat.

:goodpost: I agree, although these new cardbacks do have me tempted....:lol I do struggle though with opening a figure when they do look really nice in the packaging... :( (I never opened any Hasbro VTC figures). I haven't opened the new 40th Vader yet for that exact reason. I'm gonna wait till they sell him separately to buy a 2nd, as I don't need 2 Legacy versions with a stand that'd be in a box.

In the old days (the 90's) I used to buy 2 of everything if I wanted to open and keep carded, but then again, back then this stuff was much cheaper... Too expensive to do that now, especially when I collect much pricier stuff too (like Hot Toys & Sideshow stuff) in addition to these "toys". I feel guilty spending the money on myself instead of on the wife & kids.... Adult Old Man Priorities really suck!! :rotfl

:goodpost: I agree, although these new cardbacks do have me tempted....:lol I do struggle though with opening a figure when they do look really nice in the packaging... :( (I never opened any Hasbro VTC figures). I haven't opened the new 40th Vader yet for that exact reason. I'm gonna wait till they sell him separately to buy a 2nd, as I don't need 2 Legacy versions with a stand that'd be in a box.

In the old days (the 90's) I used to buy 2 of everything if I wanted to open and keep carded, but then again, back then this stuff was much cheaper... Too expensive to do that now, especially when I collect much pricier stuff too (like Hot Toys & Sideshow stuff) in addition to these "toys". I feel guilty spending the money on myself instead of on the wife & kids.... Adult Old Man Priorities really suck!! :rotfl

Well said. :lol

Man buying 2 of these big box legacy Vaders just sounds crazy to me lol

Well said. :lol

Man buying 2 of these big box legacy Vaders just sounds crazy to me lol

haha I bought two!

I kinda justify it like this though:

I'll actually use the stands, I like em a lot. I'll use one set for the vintage 12 lineup, and the other for a marvel Legends classic character lineup.

The Vader is so great, it's actually on the level of those figuarts and mafex figures in my eyes. If he was in one of those boxes I would have still gotten him and probably paid at least $60 for him.

Additionally, Vader is my all time favorite character out of any franchise ever, completely worth it to me to have him on that awesome vintage card to hang on the wall, and one opened up on the shelf (though i know carded figures arent your bag).

Additionally, Vader is my all time favorite character out of any franchise ever

Vader is mine as well.... It's a weakness... I could fill an entire room with just Vader stuff between action figures of all sizes, vehicles, statues, movie props, art work.... I have a problem. I think I have nearly every carded figure since the POTF'95 line. No vintage carded sadly, but do have nearly all my original vintage stuff from '77 - '85 when I was a kid.. Sad thing is most of it is always boxed up and stored away.... :( Maybe one day I'll have the display room I've always dreamed of.

Vader is mine as well.... It's a weakness... I could fill an entire room with just Vader stuff between action figures of all sizes, vehicles, statues, movie props, art work.... I have a problem. I think I have nearly every carded figure since the POTF'95 line. No vintage carded sadly, but do have nearly all my original vintage stuff from '77 - '85 when I was a kid.. Sad thing is most of it is always boxed up and stored away.... :( Maybe one day I'll have the display room I've always dreamed of.

Hell yeah brother - Im right there with you! I did end up buying a vintage ROTJ vader to have him carded since my old vintage figures were tossed many many many years ago. I'll never let that figure go, he'll stay right next to my carded vintage anakin till Im ready to pass them to my kid lol

haha I bought two!

I kinda justify it like this though:

I'll actually use the stands, I like em a lot. I'll use one set for the vintage 12 lineup, and the other for a marvel Legends classic character lineup.

The Vader is so great, it's actually on the level of those figuarts and mafex figures in my eyes. If he was in one of those boxes I would have still gotten him and probably paid at least $60 for him.

Additionally, Vader is my all time favorite character out of any franchise ever, completely worth it to me to have him on that awesome vintage card to hang on the wall, and one opened up on the shelf (though i know carded figures arent your bag).

Oh definately no doubt that this is hands down Hasbro's best 6" SW figure ever with Fett coming 2nd.

Better than the imports too!

Can't wait to get him.

At the end of the day we all collect in our own personal way and none of them are the incorrect way. :hi5:

Yeah having stuff boxed up sure takes the fun out of owning them.

Last edited:
I do! Counting the days until RO figures are released on Vintage Kenner Cardbacks Spring 2018. :rock

hsop.gif

Came across a case of the 40th anniversary figures today at one of my local Walmart stores. Not sure if this has been mentioned but it seems that Han, R2 and Leia are one per case.

JYE finally caved and gettin the early bird vader eyyy? you made the right choice.:clap

still LOVE mine soooo much. the black wash over the bright eyes looks great compared to the darker eye ver pics i see but if i saw one with even darker eyes in person at retail may bite but not needed really.

Those custom cards are pretty sick man!!

I know! And what's great is that the return of The Vintage Collection line will have something for everybody. Jyn, Cassian, K2, Krennic and Death Troopers for me, Bala Tik and Tasu Leech for DiFabio, Rathtars and Maz for jye, and a little plaque featuring the opening scroll that explained how all the victories of ROTJ were negated for a-dev.

Back