Hasbro 6" Black Series Star Wars line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have a question regarding the Black Series 40th Anniversary Vader.

I see 2 types of packaging out there - one is the normal black box with the figure, the other is a large box called "Legacy Pack".

In addition, one version seems to have "redder" lenses than the other.

Can anyone please explain which is which and what differences there are between the two versions?

Thank you!

Ok, I have a question regarding the Black Series 40th Anniversary Vader.

I see 2 types of packaging out there - one is the normal black box with the figure, the other is a large box called "Legacy Pack".

In addition, one version seems to have "redder" lenses than the other.

Can anyone please explain which is which and what differences there are between the two versions?

Thank you!

The legacy pack is the original release of it. Came out for the 40th anniversary with the 6 inch scale display stand replica of the vintage 3.75 one. It was $40 on release, they made WAY too many of them and you can now find it for like $10 lol.

The regular black box is the regular release that came after. Because they made so many of the 40th, that they eventually went on sale for $20 or below (in addition to those paying full price), just about everyone who wanted that Vader figure, had that Vader figure, causing that release to peg warm.

The "redder" lenses is the "rare" version. The regular release has brownish-red lenses. That rarer version has more obviously red lenses. You don't even need the two side by side to compare. One has red lenses, the others might as well be brown.

2017-09-02 09.21.20.jpg

I remember seeing the different shades in the 40th packs. I went ahead and got one with the darker shade because I thought the bright red looked a little tacky.

The standard release of that Vader seems to be a lot more consistent. They even added some silver shading on his neck.

I remember seeing the different shades in the 40th packs. I went ahead and got one with the darker shade because I thought the bright red looked a little tacky.

The standard release of that Vader seems to be a lot more consistent. They even added some silver shading on his neck.

Yeah I forgot about that running change.

Which figure would you recommend me getting:

The BS 40th Anniversary Vader or the Mafex Rogue One Vader?

Which one does look more movie accurate (specific to their ANH/RO movie)?

And which one do you think has the better helmet/more realistic headsculpt?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I am not sure the perfect Vader exists but that Mafex RO Vader is really nice.

Thanks!

I also just checked the ANH Kotobukiya Vader - it looks really good as well!

I am actually amazed how thin, short and weird the dome looks in promo shots, compared to actual video reviews where he is like straight out of ANH.

What do you think of it?

Thanks.

Honestly, with how cheap the 40th BS Vader is, you might as well get both LOL.

The BS Vader is INCREDIBLY accurate. Its not completely accurate to the Rogue One Vader (Which has longer gloves among other minor differences). But its basically spot on for ANH.

qaVISip.jpg

hs4xGtL.jpg

ZkBaBBP.jpg

RjL0SWF.jpg

hofnkUN.jpg

I've seen someone do a helmet breakdown and its basically 90 to 95% of the way there. Some minor minor shape differences that keep it from being 100% accurate. Its definitely the best Vader sculpt they've ever done. And one of the best Vaders you can buy. The cape is both great and garbage at the same time though. They gave him SO MUCH fabric its kind of insane. I had to clamp it back for some of those pics and I glued it down otherwise. Its decent quality fabric, but its just too too much fabric.

kXSdm1N.jpg

oc6HsmO.jpg

The Mafex Vader isn't quite accurate to ANY Vader. The gloves are far too short for Rogue One. The red lenses only match Rogue One and ANH. As does the Chest box and glove details, etc etc. The tabards are UNDER the shoulder armor instead of OVER. Because originally RO had them under before they realized it was a mistake when you consider the film ends like 30 minutes before ANH starts and Vader has them over. So they changed it for the film. But it was too late for Mafex to change the sculpt after seeing the original promo images. So nothing they can do. Thats why the Hot Toy Rogue One Vader has the tabbards under the armor too.

pEJnuCc.jpg

y9PCmpC.jpg

z93JFm7.jpg

So because of this I use it as my go to Vader for just about everything. Its an overall excellent Vader with great sculpting, paint and accessories.

5FZTJeV.jpg

2aids2j.jpg

i8NMkC0.jpg

One AMAZING thing about it though is that the red lenses are ACTUALLY lenses. You can see Vaders/Anakins eyes behind them. Theres a full head sculpt under it (that you can't get to)

4CwFmFz.jpg

I don't think Hot Toys does that even.

S6CSb0b.jpg

The helmet shape is great. But the BS has slight edge I Think.

So to answer your question, get both lol.

Thank you! Very informative!

How about the ANH, ESB and ROTJ Kotobukiya statues?

Which would you say is more movie accurate and has better sculpt? Also overall impressions?

I was gonna pull the trigger on the ANH version, but I am reading lots of negative comments on Amazon, regarding how hard it is to attach the head to the joint.

You're welcome!

No idea about those. Keep in mind that they're 1/10th scale Statues. So they have no articulation and are going to be far too large to go with other 6 inch or 1/12 scale figures like Mafex and Black Series

Thanks.

I don't really care about scaling with other figures.

I just want to have movie accurate Vader - both in 1/6 and smaller versions.

Personally, after owning and loving the 40th Vader, when I got the MAFEX RO version it took my breath away - especially with those beautiful real led eye lenses that you can see Anakin’s eyes through at certain angles. I don’t like displaying them together since the Hasbro looks toyish now - not knocking the sculpt on it which is fantastic though - it’s just held back by the usual gummy plastic the BS line is plagued with.

I’d say the 40th is good if you don’t want to spend a lot of money, but if you don’t care then I’d go with the MAFEX. The MAFEX has much better articulation too, and can actually look up a very good amount. He comes with optional preposed hands too so he can cross his arms naturally. It has a lot of shelf presence among my other 6” SW figures. The wired cape helps achieve some pretty dynamic poses, but it comes at a price since it’s hard to get it to sit naturally if he’s just standing there.

The 40 does get some nice details correct like the silver paint “shading” on Vader’s helmet (which I think is on the MAFEX too just not nearly as prominent) and the actual sculpting for the undersuit is phenominal and actual looks like a real suit, whereas the MAFEX has a “sleeker” look that doesn’t look quite as convincing but still works. Since it’s Hasbro you don’t have to worry as much about breaking anything, but it lacks a lot of the extra display options like the plethora of hands the MAFEX has.

You can’t go wrong either way. The MAFEX is missing the tunic that covers each end of his chest armor since it was based on cut scenes and reference material for RO where he didn’t have it (it’s missing on the Hot Toys figure too).

I think you’ll be satisfied either way. As ShootingTheGalaxy said the 40th is a pretty definitive ANH Vader, but the MAFEX RO isn’t very specific to one design so it’ll work for multiple displays.

Finally saw Bespin escape Leia at Target..I think I’ll wait until she’s on sale . I see her becoming a peg warmer by Xmas just like Solo Chewie is now :lecture

I checked out my Target and surprised to find a single Rio Durant on the peg! I didn't know these were out yet.
Fantastic figure, great articulation!
Star Wars Black Series 6 Inch Rio Durant 001.jpg

Back