Has Rising Figure Prices Forced You To Change What You Collect?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there's a lot less that I like.... The Disney purchase of Lucasfilm has made things weird. Instead of buying all 1/6 I buy Lego and SW Black 6".

If HT got off their *** and released a couple SW figures and Tamashii Nations released R2 it would be about the same.

Definitely. There are quite a few companies now putting out some great figures, and thankfully not all of them are charging Hot Toys prices. I will still get HT items if it's something I really really want, but lately I could give a rats hairy butt over yet another unnecessary IM or Avengers figure, so they made that decision easy for me. Plus I've never been one of those collectors that had to have everything any one particular company put out in the first place, I just wait a few weeks after something is announced (until the initial excitement dies down in my own head), before I decide whether the cost is worth it (9 times out of 10 it's not).

if you are curious, you can probably look at stuffs that came out before the 1/6 wave, not talking about 3.75" SW figures, but for example Japanese Chogokin, SIC, McFarlanes, when they release too many of them & keep increasing the price, people will start to slow down, eventually they will produce more than what people buy, and it all go South, and what's left are people who really collects, or has too much cash, the rest just move on.

what you see will be:

Companies releasing much less models in much less quantity, at much higher price so only real collectors buy them (most of them won't resell), the rest would start to quit because they can't find many on the used market or just can't afford them.

Answer to question .. No.
If companies keep bringing out cool figures, I'll buy them.

Nothing. Rising hot toys prices were the best thing to happen to me. I went from about 40 figures to 8. I'm now rich.

Exactly. lol
I figured which I could live without and sold them off. Made me a bit of money. But the rising Hot Toys prices have made me loose interest in newer figures. DX11 & DX12 were the last figures I bought. Ever since then Ive been working on customs.

Of course it has. Too many demands on my money. I had to make t he decision not to start on batman and the avengers and sold the only iron man I had at that time.

Also I think if I was getting into the hobby today I would cherry pick maybe 5 or 6. And that would be all but as I have most of what I what I don't want to get rid of any

Pricing is Darwin's way of telling you to be more selective.

It's forced me to drop some figures really, and to not get every Hot Toys I think looks amazing. Being a college student with modest pay and with a family that tries to limit your hard owned money, it's hard to collect

Yeah I guess so. I used to buy maybe a dozen or more high end sixth scale figs a couple of years back, maybe 5 or 6 figs this year, only one on PO for next year, Robocop.

Back