Has Rising Figure Prices Forced You To Change What You Collect?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I think price increases are justified by the leap forward in realism and quality.

It really hasn't effected me... but in general the market seems to be shifting from a few figures of many different properties to many figures of the same. Since I don't like multiples of the same figure and tend not to be super jazzed about the "flavor of the week" properties I'm just not buying as many figures as there are just not as many interesting figures (to me) getting made.

I'm glad that most of the classics I've wanted for years have been made; Reeve Superman, ALIEN, Terminator, Robocop... so now the focus seems to be more on new properties and I just don't care for them as much.

It has a little bit, I have a pretty nice little collection of hot toys figures, I would have more it the price were a little less though. Not to say I can't afford the 89 joker for instance but I don't think he is worth 250+ shipping, its a great figure and I could buy it but I don't think the price is justified. I have bought multibles of some hot toys figures in the past so its not a question of can I buy it, more of a question is it worth the price. I have and will still collect hot toys figures but only if I love the piece and think its worth the asking price and alot of figures coming out latley just are not worth the price they are selling for IMO.

100% Agree:goodpost::exactly:

The 89 Joker and 89 Batman are still in stock at BBTS for a reason. I would guess many other collectors refuse to spend $250+ for a 1/6 action figure, I also think Enterbays 1/4 Rambo at $400+ is a major ripoff to, a lot of the cult members on this site well justify the high prices by saying the all around quality has gone way up in the last few years, but come on, triple the price increases, sorry not me, not paying it.

Figures of a certain subject matter I'm gonna buy despite the ever increasing prices. It is stopping me having as many 'impulse' buys as I used to. Though matters outside the hobby are also affecting that.

100% Agree:goodpost::exactly:

The 89 Joker and 89 Batman are still in stock at BBTS for a reason. I would guess many other collectors refuse to spend $250+ for a 1/6 action figure, I also think Enterbays 1/4 Rambo at $400+ is a major ripoff to, a lot of the cult members on this site well justify the high prices by saying the all around quality has gone way up in the last few years, but come on, triple the price increases, sorry not me, not paying it.

I think more than the price right now is HT is making more and more figures to meet demand. Sideshow did a similar thing where the ES of the SW line kept creeping up and up until many of the figures became devalued. I think HT is trying to find the sweet spot on numbers and is currently over-producing.

I mean, how exclusive can a figure be (like the ex. Luke or Superman) if the pre-order window lasts from the day it's up to the day it ships? And that doesn't even include the number of regular edition figures.

A hobby isn't a hobby, unless it's expensive and drives you towards bankruptcy and your loved ones away.

Go big, or go home.

It really hasn't effected me... but in general the market seems to be shifting from a few figures of many different properties to many figures of the same. Since I don't like multiples of the same figure and tend not to be super jazzed about the "flavor of the week" properties I'm just not buying as many figures as there are just not as many interesting figures (to me) getting made.

QFT :clap :goodpost:

Lack of variety is the only thing slowing down my collecting. I'd have a ton of figures on order if they were original characters or original fanchises getting made instead of remakes or versions of existing ones i have

I've actually sold of about 90% of my collection. I was buying way to many figures, some I didn't even care for the film they were from & bought the figure just because I thought it looked cool. Now I'm just focused on the two lines that originally got me into this hobby (Preds & Iron Man) but I actually get more satisfaction now, getting a figure I really want were before I was buying a no of figures a month for the sakes of it. I didn't even have the room to display most of them so they stayed boxed up.

I think it is not so much the rise in prices but the lower in quality and QC that the figures have recently. Also the lack of accessories/extras.
I wouldn't mind paying a retail price of $250 for the DX Joker 2.0 and if it was released at $270 I would pay that too because it contains plenty of accessories, 2 HS, and it is a very nice piece in terms of quality and detail.
I would pay the $444 they asking for the HUGE Iron Monger and the $325 for the Samurai Predator because of the amount of detail and accessories. But if any of them come with paint application issues or not at par with prorotypes, then there is where I start doubting if I should spend this much for expensive figures.
Now when it comes to clone troopers, there is where I am kinda not in to buying the new clones which are $$$$. I mean they are pretty much the same as a $90 clone trooper except that they include a different helmet, a small shoulder paldron and a "skirt" that could cost $0.50 cent to add lol. So I don't see the justification to add $30-$40 to the standard clone price, other than those little things and the fact that the character might be more popular or a Commander or stuff like that. :peace

Like a lot of others I find it's all getting a bit to much so I have to limit the figures I buy, which means making some hard choices. What makes it worse in my opinion is that there hasn't really been that much of a jump in quality to justify the jump in price, also if I could buy the figures 'loose' i.e. with minimal/packaging/accsesories I would, I do feel a lot of companies are pricing some of us out of the market.

Increased QUANTITY of new stuff is key factor for me...now I'm just choosier as I "rented" so many HT figures for a few months and realize I did not have to have them...

I do feel a lot of companies are pricing some of us out of the market.

Totally agree there, before I could justify a $180 figure because I get my 20% discount at the comic store, but with figures going into the over $200 mark with every figure release it is just not in the stars for me. If I had a better paying job like I did before I would be fine, but Hot Toys is a rich mans hobby these days, Play Arts and Marvel Legends are what I am spending money on these days.

For me, seeing the tumbler and BatPod re-released after buying both on the secondary market, honestly not intent on reselling, i really liked them and they are centerpieces of my display. But that and re-issue's of other figures & 2.0 versions and endless number of IM versions really left a bad taste in my mouth. I too was buying because things looked cool. I cancelled a ton of pre-orders including Red Skull, Sparrow, Spidey III, Shadow Pred, 89 Batmobile even though I have 89 Bats & Joker. Its enough. I buy what I really like. I have PO only on Monger & City Predator. No interest in any Avenger other than maybe a 1/6 Hulk. let's what HT does with Prometheus, my guess is two versions of Engineer in the Jake Sully - Iron Monger Price Range. I'm really pleased with my EB Professional and hope they make more eclectic characters like that. Happy to give them my money over HT for their milking licenses.

For me, seeing the tumbler and BatPod re-released after buying both on the secondary market, honestly not intent on reselling, i really liked them and they are centerpieces of my display. But that and re-issue's of other figures & 2.0 versions and endless number of IM versions really left a bad taste in my mouth. I too was buying because things looked cool. I cancelled a ton of pre-orders including Red Skull, Sparrow, Spidey III, Shadow Pred, 89 Batmobile even though I have 89 Bats & Joker. Its enough. I buy what I really like. I have PO only on Monger & City Predator. No interest in any Avenger other than maybe a 1/6 Hulk. let's what HT does with Prometheus, my guess is two versions of Engineer in the Jake Sully - Iron Monger Price Range. I'm really pleased with my EB Professional and hope they make more eclectic characters like that. Happy to give them my money over HT for their milking licenses.

:goodpost:

I too ordered lots because i was hyped at their reveals, but then cancelled later on as i decided that wasn't a good reason to get them.

I'm noticing many new upcoming releases (New Spiderman, Thor, Black Widow etc) are not coming with much stuff.

And when they do come with stuff the charge you $ 250 a pop or the latest $ 270. That would mean the stuff like the tumbler, Iron monger and $ 450 are at a better value. I hope this not the future and we still can get figures for the $ 200 range.

Yes, I simply can't afford as many collectibles now. I see Hot Toys and get a little sad inside because save for a few MUST HAVES I can't afford them

Back