Has anyone heard/used this custom action figure service?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Club Obi Wan

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Since a lot of you are much more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am, I wonder if any of you are aware of this company and their services?

They say if you give them just a few photos of yourself (or anybody else) they'll custom create an action figure head for you, and they can even create the entire action figure for you.

Here's the link: https://thatsmyface.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

What do you think?

Why? Generally bad results?

Seems like the science behind creating custom heads this way is sound ... but I wonder if one or two photos is enough to really get the job done right.

I know when wax museums create full scale statues they generally like to get photos from all angles so they can do a good job. With just a few photos, the results don't look so good.

But if it's all being done with computer modeling ... maybe that's different?

Seems like the science behind creating custom heads this way is sound ... but I wonder if one or two photos is enough to really get the job done right.

I know when wax museums create full scale statues they generally like to get photos from all angles so they can do a good job. With just a few photos, the results don't look so good.

You should submit a Davis custom and let us know how it works out. Though, not sure I'd pay $99 for a bald version with a golfball divoted face. :p

I too also came across this site a couple of months ago and wondered if the figure would turn out as they claim.

Id love to get a head sculpt done of my daughter and turn her into a Jedi for a gift , she'd love it !. (Wrong Thread I know)

Hope you find out more about this company , please let us know.

Thanks,
Chad.

yes, it is quite different. They are obviously using a program called FaceGen, designed to create 3D models of human faces based on key points that can be plotted on a picture. I have the free version of this program, and I tried to make Arnie in 3D from 2 pics, and it looked nothing like him. The program is very unreliable. And they aren't even painting them, they simply print the pic of the face onto the "sculpt" (if it can even be called a sculpt). So you might pay $100 for a poor-quality printed head that looks nothing like the person they tried for.

My advice to you, try to get into sculpting. Get some clay and a tool kit, read books about sculpting, find online tutorials, and DIY.

I tried my hand at sculpting and painting, and I was able to sculpt an awesome looking zombie head, and a not-so-awesome Arnold Schwarzenegger head...

But it'd be cheaper and better quality if you went DIY.

p.s. don't say "I can't sculpt for crap" cuz I thought the same thing and after fiddling with some clay over 2 balls of aluminum foil for about a month, I got something decent out of it. (not perfect, but decent)

i would not want a 12inch figure of myself. because if i did there are people i know who if they got a hold of it would make it do terrible things or put it in terrible positions.

Thanks to everyone for responding. It doesn't look like the service is getting much of a favorable impression, and if the computer modeling software really doesn't do a good job as the dude person mentioned, it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the money.

If I had some extra dough to throw around right now I might still be curious enough to try it out, but now's not the best time for me.

well just for the heck of it I submitted a few pics for a female head sculpt that are very Indy related. We'll see what comes out of it and I'll post pics.

I think a guy who runs a similar site is a member here... vartal. He has a few threads in the custom section. Might be worth your while to check him out!

well just for the heck of it I submitted a few pics for a female head sculpt that are very Indy related. We'll see what comes out of it and I'll post pics.

Cool! Thanks for taking the plunge. I'll be looking forward to the pics (and hoping for a good Marion Ravenwood sculpt!).

Well I got the noggin in the mail yesterday and still not sure what to think. It doesn't look bad but the sculpt itself is very generic and could never be repainted and have a likeness to the original photo. Basically the photo is printed directly on the resin sculpt. If we don't end up with a sideshow Marion or another talented sculptor doesn't tackle her I guess I'll make do. Anyway onto the pics this is the one I submitted, fairly generic pic of Karen Allen.
picture.php

And this is what I got in the mail

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
the picture doesnt even look real, it looks as if that is a photoshop cut & paste job........:confused:

Back