Has a sequel ever really ruined the original for you??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The matrix films did this to me.
The Matrix was probably in my top 5 before I watched reloaded and revolutions.
Damn it, now as I type this I just dont want to think about it any more. Damn.

OK, I can see the Matrix series as being the only guilty party in my book (again, the PT I can pretend didn't happen w/Star Wars....but I don't, I like it.)

For me this is why the Matrix series is guilty:
1-LOVED IT!
2-SNOOOOOORE!!!!! bored me to tears and just took itself too seriously
3-Back to the fun!

So it's hard because I like 1 and 3 but 2 is just meh to me. BUT I NEED 2 FOR 3 TO EXIST!!!!

X Men 3 almost ruined the first two for me...almost but I got over it. And, I know it's wierd, but I enjoyed Matrix 1 and 2 the same. 3 was ok but none in the series was just awful to me.

I wouldn't say ruined because you can always ignore it and pretend it didn't happen (like a bad date) but you can't help but notice that it tarnishes the purity of the original a bit. Case-in-point:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
Batman and Robin
Matrix Retard... er, um. Reloaded and Revolutions
Highlander 2
Alien Resurrection
Conan the Destroyer
Beverly Hills Cop 3
X-Men 3

And pretty much any re-make:

Red Dragon
Rollerball (McTiernan)
The Omen

Good call on Conan The Destroyer Dave... that movie is terrible too. Completely **** all over the greatness of the original. But again, I just disavow any knowledge of it.

And even though Highlander 3 was bad the next sequel was even worse IMO :yuck

I actually kinda liked Endgame. :lol

But yes, I completely disavow that all Highlander sequels and television series exist. There can be only one.

Oh, and another one is The Crow City of Angels. It's sacrilege but I have to admit, it is beautifully shot. I am just in awe what a beautifully shot film it is but the story and everything is just crap.

OK, I can see the Matrix series as being the only guilty party in my book (again, the PT I can pretend didn't happen w/Star Wars....but I don't, I like it.)

For me this is why the Matrix series is guilty:
1-LOVED IT!
2-SNOOOOOORE!!!!! bored me to tears and just took itself too seriously
3-Back to the fun!

So it's hard because I like 1 and 3 but 2 is just meh to me. BUT I NEED 2 FOR 3 TO EXIST!!!!

I find that watching 2 and 3 back to back makes much better viewing - they are much improved by treating them as a single film.

I have to agree with everyone else, a sequel has to be really special to ruin the original.
I believe the worst movie of all time is the Dennis Hopper vehicle Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Does it ruin the original, no, it only makes me appreciate the greatness of the original that much better.
The only series of sequels I have an issue with is the Star Wars prequels. Some of the great things about the Original Trilogy are ruined because of the Prequels, here is a short list:
Finding out Leia is Luke's sister
The dramatic cliffhanger ending to The Empire Strikes Back
The mysterious origins of Boba Fett
The magic of the Force being explained as Mediclorians

Yes, I understand that for there to be prequels the originals would have to be underminded, but damn, I don't have to like it.

I find that watching 2 and 3 back to back makes much better viewing - they are much improved by treating them as a single film.

I HATE doing that. I want to watch one movie with a beginning and an end, not one movie broken up. The only exception being LoTR, but that's different.

Oh, and another one is The Crow City of Angels. It's sacrilege but I have to admit, it is beautifully shot. I am just in awe what a beautifully shot film it is but the story and everything is just crap.

You got that right. The movie sucks, but it does look good.

How bout those other 2 Crow sequels...along with the one where Edward Furlong played the Crow...

Rocky V was pretty bad compared to the other Rocky films...

Austin Powers: Goldmember was nowhere as good as the previous Austin Powers films...

How bout Dumb & Dumberer...the prequel to Dumb & Dumber?

I loved the first 2 Karate Kid movies but by the third movie, it lost it's appeal. The Next Karate Kid was a lost cause.

What artsie fartsie indie films are we talkin' about here?

Eric

Maybe, not totally indie, but definately artsie fartsy....She had me sit through her DVD's of Gosford Park, Shakespeare In Love, Bridges of Madison County to name a few along with the updated Lolita, The In Crowd, & Cruel Intentions 2 & 3 (which she also owns).. She has also picked up an assortment of Lifetime Original Movies including some based off of Danielle Steele novels. Look, my wife is an absolutely beautiful and stunning woman (still in her 20's), but her choice of films make it seem like she was born in the '20's.

Man, feel bad for you, Nitro. I would put a gun to my head if I had to see those films. Lifetime films are the worst.. :monkey4

But back to the subject. Yes, I would say The Matrix did it for me as well. In fact, I used to have the DVD box set in my collection until one day I realized to myself that the only DVD I watch out of that whole collection is only the first one.

So I took the box set in and traded it for store credit. Have no regrets since then.

Matrix R and R totally ruined the whole Matrix thing for me. Haven't watched it since and don't care too anymore...

As for Blade 3, was warned about that and will never watch it.

Rocky 6 was so bad, that its tainted the rest (yes, i like V).
X-men 3, would have ruined the first two if i was a fan of them.

Also, never watch horror remakes. Ever !

Spider-Man 3 sucked so bad it took the first two movies with it. I know some people liked Spider-Man 3. Good for them. But I hated the experience. It took the frist two movies and dumbed it all down into a kiddies movie. Spider-Man 3 was so God awful that it tainted Army of Darkness for me.

Spider-Man 3 sucked so bad it took the first two movies with it. I know some people liked Spider-Man 3. Good for them. But I hated the experience. It took the frist two movies and dumbed it all down into a kiddies movie. Spider-Man 3 was so God awful that it tainted Army of Darkness for me.

Hey, hey, hey, I know you don't like Spider-Man 3 but there is no need to bring The Medieval Dead into this. If anything, Bruce Campbell vs. the Army of Darkness made me appreciate Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 even more.
Talking about sequels, they should make MORE Evil Dead films.

No because if I don't like a sequal I just don't watch it. I was pretty disappointed in Matrix: Revolutions, but I still like the first two.

I really dislike Star Trek V, but love II, IV and VI.

Terminator 3 is average, but I love 1 and 2.

Jaws 2 was very so so and 3 and 4 outright SUCKED donkey balls, but the first one RULES.

If you don't like the sequals just don't watch them.

Back