1/6 Han Solo In Carbonite New Figure by Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are yellow lights on the section bellow it aswell I think.

The blue light is probably meant to match the Bespin Hallways.

This thing does look a little overdone. It sure why that module couldn't light up on each end. I would have did without the base to get that.

Only one section lights up

Star.Wars.Episode.V.1980.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv_snapshot_01.37.10_[2017.04.15_11.24.jpg

Even in ROTJ, it's just one section

Star.Wars.Episode.VI.1983.RERIP.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv_snapshot_00.10.18_[2017.04.15_11.27.jpg

And when it's horizontal, it's on a white floor base, no blue lights

Star.Wars.Episode.V.1980.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv_snapshot_01.38.50_[2017.04.15_11.25.jpg

The main takeaway is. . . why not just make it a Freezing Chamber base that is circular with orange lights. Why make it square with blue lights, and an orange overlay? Just make it orange to begin with. "Because we wanted to add features"??

It's like giving Darth Vader a green lightsaber because "you want to give the customer options". Okay, I appreciate the effort but, A) it's wrong and B) not needed

The pattern of the lights is clearly based on the Freezing Chamber steps, even though the actual pattern is wrong. Why make them blue in the first place, and not just make it orange to match their existing bases and not worry about the extra parts?

Star.Wars.Episode.V.1980.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv_snapshot_01.38.24_[2017.04.15_11.32.jpg

Harumph!

And don't get me wrong, I get it.

Why is the base not larger? "If we had a large circular base with room for multiple figures, it would lead to a drastically larger box and increased shipping cost and increasing the price further"

Why blue lights? "Blue LEDs are less expensive than orange LEDs, so we just used an orange transparency to simulate the effect"

Why is it so expensive? "We are a large company serving a niche market, and we have to hit a minimum price point on each product we bring to market to provide a fair wage to our employees"

Last edited:
I appreciate the effort with the stand but I already have the original and that display is more impressive than this. I just feel this isn't that much better than the original.

Only one section lights up

View attachment 336276

Even in ROTJ, it's just one section

View attachment 336277

And when it's horizontal, it's on a white floor base, no blue lights

View attachment 336279

The main takeaway is. . . why not just make it a Freezing Chamber base that is circular with orange lights. Why make it square with blue lights, and an orange overlay? Just make it orange to begin with. "Because we wanted to add features"??

It's like giving Darth Vader a green lightsaber because "you want to give the customer options". Okay, I appreciate the effort but, A) it's wrong and B) not needed

The pattern of the lights is clearly based on the Freezing Chamber steps, even though the actual pattern is wrong. Why make them blue in the first place, and not just make it orange to match their existing bases and not worry about the extra parts?

View attachment 336286

Harumph!

And don't get me wrong, I get it.

Why is the base not larger? "If we had a large circular base with room for multiple figures, it would lead to a drastically larger box and increased shipping cost and increasing the price further"

Why blue lights? "Blue LEDs are less expensive than orange LEDs, so we just used an orange transparency to simulate the effect"

Why is it so expensive? "We are a large company serving a niche market, and we have to hit a minimum price point on each product we bring to market to provide a fair wage to our employees"

The uppermost/top panel (the screen-type ones) should light up on BOTH sides of the carb block but also, the other lower panels do have a few less visible lights (one has rows of small red LED's.) The SSC one seems to have a light up screen on one top side panel only.

Also, the overall "box shape" was different between ESB and ROTJ - the ROTJ one is squared whereas the ESB is angled/beveled. So technically the SSC one can't be correct for ESB anyway.

The uppermost/top panel (the screen-type ones) should light up on BOTH sides of the carb block but also, the other lower panels do have a few less visible lights (one has rows of small red LED's.) The SSC one seems to have a light up screen on one top side panel only.

Do you have a source showing all the light up panels?

I can only find kits that have only 1 light up panel. SSC's life size only has one.

All the replicas and kits I see only have the one 'screen' type. It looks SSC may have come up with the best solution seeing as how you never see both screens lit up at the same time, but having to address that you can see the screen lit up on the panel's right side when it's standing up and on it's left side when it's horizontal.

The lights only on one side don't bother me but when you have to slide out that battery compartment which looks to be almost the fuller width of the piece, why not make it a single unit with lights on both sides?

And I agree that the overall angles don't look right. I'm glad others have pointed this out. I feel it should have a little taper on the angles.

Do you have a source showing all the light up panels?

I can only find kits that have only 1 light up panel. SSC's life size only has one.

All the replicas and kits I see only have the one 'screen' type. It looks SSC may have come up with the best solution seeing as how you never see both screens lit up at the same time, but having to address that you can see the screen lit up on the panel's right side when it's standing up and on it's left side when it's horizontal.

I'll have to do some digging. The SSC sculpt is technically ROTJ, even though its designed to be in both ESB and ROTJ type displays. The single panel is a slight cheat - the ROTJ block is only ever filmed/seen from the right side, so technically you only ever see the single top panel lit up, but the control panels were reused ESB to ROTJ, just in a different box, so both should light up.

Zenix, one of the most respected rebuilders of the Han Solo in Carbonite life size props will be first to tell you.. there was only ever 1 hero panel on the HIC. In the hallway shots the switched the side in which it was being used on.

I like that they stayed true to that. But I agree with others, display base sucks. The original first run HIC with the Jabba display wall was much cooler.

I will likely have to create my own type of "transparent" display base.

BTW - I didn't mean there weren't other panels with lights, I mean there was only 1 hero panel as we know it with all those light effects we've come to like. This panel was then used to swap sides on the carb slab for specific shots. I guess technically what they were trying to do is make it appear that it was on both sides? So if we want to go by what the movie makers wanted, even though it was only ever present on one side at any given time, technically I guess they wanted it on both sides, so having both sides light up I guess isn't terribly wrong, but not accurate to the prop. For other panels with lights, I believe there is at least one other panel with confirmed light effects just much too small to grab screen time. It's the one with the square lens piece.

Well I just blew a load of RP on this guy. The video helped, and sideshow sent out some free points to my email but had to be used by the 25th. So for $25.74+ shipping I'll have a Han in Carbonite for my birthday this year.

BTW - I didn't mean there weren't other panels with lights, I mean there was only 1 hero panel as we know it with all those light effects we've come to like. This panel was then used to swap sides on the carb slab for specific shots. I guess technically what they were trying to do is make it appear that it was on both sides? So if we want to go by what the movie makers wanted, even though it was only ever present on one side at any given time, technically I guess they wanted it on both sides, so having both sides light up I guess isn't terribly wrong, but not accurate to the prop. For other panels with lights, I believe there is at least one other panel with confirmed light effects just much too small to grab screen time. It's the one with the square lens piece.

However things were fudged (and there's a TON of fudging that goes on in moviemaking - tweaking/mirroring sets, costumes and props for reuse) what's actually visible onscreen is really all that matters. And what's visible onscreen is that there is very clearly two "screen-type" light-up panels visible on the carbonite block - one on each side.

So that's what Sideshow should have made. Anything less - including making it supposedly "prop accurate" - is just a cop-out, especially given the price. If this was $150, you could maybe overlook the single light-up panel, but for $250 this should be the mega-DX of 12" by 6" plastic boxes.

However things were fudged (and there's a TON of fudging that goes on in moviemaking - tweaking/mirroring sets, costumes and props for reuse) what's actually visible onscreen is really all that matters. And what's visible onscreen is that there is very clearly two "screen-type" light-up panels visible on the carbonite block - one on each side.

So that's what Sideshow should have made. Anything less - including making it supposedly "prop accurate" - is just a cop-out, especially given the price. If this was $150, you could maybe overlook the single light-up panel, but for $250 this should be the mega-DX of 12" by 6" plastic boxes.

Taking this train of thought to its logical end, should every ROTJ Boba Fett come with alternate sets of armor so you can recreate how his scene was flipped once?

Taking this train of thought to its logical end, should every ROTJ Boba Fett come with alternate sets of armor so you can recreate how his scene was flipped once?

The carbonite block scenes in ESB weren't flopped. You clearly see the actual left and right sides of the carbonite block prop (not a flopped image of the same side) and a lit up panel appears on both sides.

How the panel was achieved is beside the point and a truly silly cop-out to use as an excuse.

For this amount of money... this thing should be floating magnetically like that delorean toy haha. We pay a pretty penny for the hobby we're in. But I agree @TaliBane ... I agree.

Since they included the horizontal display option I wonder if SSC is planning on making some Bespin guards to push Han down the hallway? Though they couldn't stand on his base so it kind of defeats the purpose.

Back