Had Enough and Sold My Collection.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I'm allowed to create a thread like this but yeah.

I have all the Hot Toys from Avengers and AOU, but there is this issue about them being made in low quality materials and sometimes horrible sculpts.

Why I still buy them when they are sculpted poorly? Because I want to complete them and maybe show it to the world that I have them all?

It felt like it, I don't want to spend thousands of money and keep it to myself. I share my photos here and on Instagram to feel good and share my interest.

But then it happened Leather flakes on Nick Fury, leather dyed Hawkeye's armpits, Thor's wrist guard dyed his skin etc.

And I grew tired of waiting for Hulkbuster and the wait made me wonder why I collect these expensive stuffs in the first place.

Not only they are difficult to sell in secondary market, you have to sell at a loss for someone to be interested in.

So I sold them all to a close friend of mine who runs a hobby shop without regrets but the only regret I had was starting this hobby of collecting Hot Toys.

My story is similar but the other way around,
I used to collect Swarovski Crystal, had all the annual pieces going back years, but they didn't really mean anything to me personally, just looked good. Then I stumbled onto Sideshow and as a movie buff preferred to collect statues from my fav movies.
So sold all my Swarovski, most of it at 50% less than I paid for it, that peeved me off, they were supposed to hold value.
But I'm much happier with my Batman and Star Wars statues, and they hold value much better.

If you can’t afford the hobby, quitting is your friend.

If you can’t feel the joy of owning the collection, quitting is your friend.

If you feel collecting is for bragging rights, quitting is your friend.

If you feel you’re wasting money on toys, quitting is your friend.

If you feel collecting is an addiction, quit for a while to rehabilitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sort of starting to get to this point. I love collecting 1/6 and get enjoyment out of my collection, but I really want to curtail it and sort of just stick to the franchises and films within those franchises that I really like.

For instance, I'm really starting to get bored with the MCU. I really am. There's only a few characters from Marvel that I actually liked before the films. So I look at my AoU collection and wonder why I have Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Maria Hill, Iron Legion, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Heck, even Ultron Prime. Just to complete the Avengers and the film? I didn't even really like the Avengers as an aggregate whole all that much before the MCU and like I said, I'm now starting to get bored with it. I got bored with it after Civil War, actually. I also look at my First Avenger collection and wonder why I have Rescue Cap and SSM Cap. I liked TFA as a film, but do I need three different Captain America variants from one film? Captain America in his regular outfit and Red Skull should about represent the film adequately I think.

Same goes with other select figures that I have.

I'm sort of starting to get to this point. I love collecting 1/6 and get enjoyment out of my collection, but I really want to curtail it and sort of just stick to the franchises and films within those franchises that I really like.

For instance, I'm really starting to get bored with the MCU. I really am. There's only a few characters from Marvel that I actually liked before the films. So I look at my AoU collection and wonder why I have Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Maria Hill, Iron Legion, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Heck, even Ultron Prime. Just to complete the Avengers and the film? I didn't even really like the Avengers as an aggregate whole all that much before the MCU and like I said, I'm now starting to get bored with it. I got bored with it after Civil War, actually. I also look at my First Avenger collection and wonder why I have Rescue Cap and SSM Cap. I liked TFA as a film, but do I need three different Captain America variants from one film? Captain America in his regular outfit and Red Skull should about represent the film adequately I think.

Same goes with other select figures that I have.

I know the feeling but with Neca and The Black Series. I’ve scaled way the hell back and have found I’m enjoying my collection much more. Once I became more focused on what I really liked within Star Wars and The Pred/Alien movies, it felt more complete being less, if that makes sense.

I decided to trim down my collection due to lack of space, and I think it's all the better for it.

I have concentrated on OT Star Wars Trilogy (Mostly ANH, a little ESB and just Jedi Luke on pre-order to represent ROTJ), Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, classic 80's action (Robocop, Predator, Aliens, Conan, Commando, Ghostbusters (just Ray)), plus the Justice League Big 3 & the Avengers Big 3 (plus a much bigger 4th in the shape of The Hulk!). I also have the QMX Classic Trek Holy Trinity too - I'm not old enough to have any emotional attachment to their TV incarnations, only the movies, but to me, this is their classic look and I still love the characters anyway.

Been thinning out my massive collection over the last year. Freeing up space and money has been nice. Doing reasonably well with it. There's been some harsh decision making and there's a lot more to come. A great deal of thought as been happening to get me to the 'final' look and collection I really want.

I also cut back a lot, buying only the characters i really like and staying away from the ones I know that they will make like 5+ different version of it. I found some good deals on ebay.

I'm keeping my collection exclusively to a single detolf. Even then its only one or two figures on each shelf, and then only on licences I really love. BTTF, Ghostbusters, the original Star Wars trilogy, terminator. The marvel/DC stuff I can easily ignore. I have too many other hobbies, Mountain biking, playing drums in a gigging band, bits and pieces to be done on my car. I also want to get into 1/16 RC cars and tanks. Some of the Taigen stuff is superb!

I also cut back a lot, buying only the characters i really like and staying away from the ones I know that they will make like 5+ different version of it. I found some good deals on ebay.

something is wrong the way you put it.

if you really like a figure, does it matter if you think they gonna release 5+ version? you can always get the version you like most, if you don't feel like owning all 5 versions.

if you are buying based on:"Oh i think this will be the only version they release", then clearly your buying objective isn't very clear.

I'm keeping my collection exclusively to a single detolf. Even then its only one or two figures on each shelf, and then only on licences I really love. BTTF, Ghostbusters, the original Star Wars trilogy, terminator. The marvel/DC stuff I can easily ignore. I have too many other hobbies, Mountain biking, playing drums in a gigging band, bits and pieces to be done on my car. I also want to get into 1/16 RC cars and tanks. Some of the Taigen stuff is superb!

maybe instead of cutting down on the collection you should zero in on the hobbies you really enjoy? i mean a man only have 24 hours a day you know...

it's uber difficult to keep it within 1 detolf.

Ghostbuster alone has 4 figures that's gonna take up 2 of your detolfs if you put 2 figures for each shelf. at most you have 3 shelves left for others.

If we look back at our old selves we wonder why we spent so much once we are out of that hobby, maybe that few K USD spent on photography gear, etc.

Its all about the mindset. Depends on the motivation & reason you collect.
If for the sake of being a completist (i.e. Hot Toys AOU lineup), you need to justify to yourself that they are worth the money.

I'm someone who lose interest in figures easily. I sell off my figures at a loss to fund for new figures.

If we look back at our old selves we wonder why we spent so much once we are out of that hobby, maybe that few K USD spent on photography gear, etc.

Its all about the mindset. Depends on the motivation & reason you collect.
If for the sake of being a completist (i.e. Hot Toys AOU lineup), you need to justify to yourself that they are worth the money.

I'm someone who lose interest in figures easily. I sell off my figures at a loss to fund for new figures.

if you think that way means you had no idea why you wanted to take up that hobby in the 1st place. maybe hype? maybe just following your mates? in short you did not enjoy whatever hobby you got in thinking why you went in the 1st place.

there will be folks who are out of the hobby but still appreciate the experience. they left maybe they felt they've accomplished everything they can, or reasons like money or time, or encountered something really sour in the process that caused them to despise the hobby and left.

if you don't understand, see sports of instance, do David Beckham ask himself why he went into soccer the 1st place now that he is out of playing the sports. He retired because his body no longer able to keep him at top performance, same way say your wallet no longer able to sustain toy collecting, so you have no choice but exit the hobby, however for some, they still check around toy shops or look at other's collection, just they no longer spend money on it.

if you think that way means you had no idea why you wanted to take up that hobby in the 1st place. maybe hype? maybe just following your mates? in short you did not enjoy whatever hobby you got in thinking why you went in the 1st place.

there will be folks who are out of the hobby but still appreciate the experience. they left maybe they felt they've accomplished everything they can, or reasons like money or time, or encountered something really sour in the process that caused them to despise the hobby and left.

if you don't understand, see sports of instance, do David Beckham ask himself why he went into soccer the 1st place now that he is out of playing the sports. He retired because his body no longer able to keep him at top performance, same way say your wallet no longer able to sustain toy collecting, so you have no choice but exit the hobby, however for some, they still check around toy shops or look at other's collection, just they no longer spend money on it.

As mentioned my focus & interest shifts easily. You may speak in perspective for those who treasure the experience, but I'm sure there are people who look back & question themselves. I believe its all in the mind & personality.

How do I get into a hobby that I don't enjoy?

Was it an impulse buy? Maybe. Was it hype? Maybe.

Once I lose interest in a figure line I'll just move on. Is there anything wrong with that?
Please teach me how to collect toys.

As mentioned my focus & interest shifts easily. You may speak in perspective for those who treasure the experience, but I'm sure there are people who look back & question themselves. I believe its all in the mind & personality.

How do I get into a hobby that I don't enjoy?

Was it an impulse buy? Maybe. Was it hype? Maybe.

Once I lose interest in a figure line I'll just move on. Is there anything wrong with that?
Please teach me how to collect toys.

there's nothing wrong with moving on. to question yourself why did you take up the hobby in the first place, now that's questionable. i would imagine the experience you had with the hobby whether good or bad should answer your question. the good experience should tell you why you got into the hobby. the bad experience would further help you search for the answer on why you took up the hobby in the 1st place.

and no i'm not gonna tell you how to collect toys since i don't collect.

Selling a bulk of my collection (mostly SW) has been going well. Online sales are steady and every now and then I see space open were 'stuff' once piled up. Unfortunately, my man cave has turned into an organization and shipping center. It's less impressive than it was. Thankfully, there is very little to nothing coming in and a stream of items going out. So that's progress. It'll thin out eventually.

I'm selling most of my Star Wars figures as well. I'm over it. The way I handle collecting is to group shelves thematically. Once the shelf is complete, the thrill of the hunt is over and the figures either inspire me, or they don't. If a completed shelf has only one or two figures I end up caring about, I either regroup them and sell the ones that matter less to me, or the entire shelf goes.

I’m joining the selling the collection group. After staying in hotels the past month and a half, I came home and felt super claustrophobic with everything on display. Tried cutting some of the figures - Neca, Black Series and Legends - but it wasn’t enough. Took down two outta three of my detolfs and the figures in it and felt more at home. Been debating this for a while as going to Walmart/TRU/comic shops lost the fun factor for me and honestly wasn’t much coming out that I wanted.
Made the Mrs happy as she’s more of a minimalist so the clutter of the collectibles drove her bananas.

That's exactly how I feel about my collection. Not just what's on display, but the stacks of boxes is claustrophobic and overwhelming. As space (slowly) frees up, I'm feeling a little more at ease.

Back