Had Enough and Sold My Collection.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Im pretty much done with HT as well. I would sell off my collection but it would be too much of a loss and be too much time(it took me forever just to sell Deadpool and a MK 42 and that was after several big price drops). I still display my CW and AoU figs and enjoy them but Im just not buying anymore. I also kinda regret getting into the hobby it cost me a lot of money, I should have stuck with DCUC/MOTUC/ML which is what I was into before the HT thing and find myself drifting back into 6in action figures again, they are cheap and take up less space. Now I just need to find someone who will buy my collection.

Timing is everything -- I've lost money on figures I shouldn't have, but took zero loss on Deadpool, for instance. Even made money once or twice at auction.

When I did a stint collecting 6-inch I found I spent more money and faster at times, because I didn't look at it as a big expenditure per unit. I mostly did imports though, and they'll add up fast.

*Edit: Deadpool is actually the only figure I sometimes think twice about having sold, but it had a weird hip-to-waist ratio that pushed me over the edge.

Timing is everything -- I've lost money on figures I shouldn't have, but took zero loss on Deadpool, for instance. Even made money once or twice at auction.

When I did a stint collecting 6-inch I found I spent more money and faster at times, because I didn't look at it as a big expenditure per unit. I mostly did imports though, and they'll add up fast.

*Edit: Deadpool is actually the only figure I sometimes think twice about having sold, but it had a weird hip-to-waist ratio that pushed me over the edge.

With DCUC they came in waves so it was about $80 to $120 every wave which wasnt very often. MOTUC was one a month at $40 shipped. But those lines are done but to me that was a lot cheaper. As you mentioned though imports are a lot more expensive getting into the $100 range for each which does add up fast. I just rebought a lot of MOTUC figures and may pick up some A listers DCUC figs but Im going to give HT a rest. I dont really want to sell my collection as I really dont have that many(maybe 58) but Im not going to add too much to my collection. I do want a complete Hot Toys Justice League though but I think Ill wait until Green Lantern comes along so I dont rebuy 2 or three sets of JL before its complete.

I’ve purged/cut back what I collect a couple times now. Also done a couple refocuses within what Im collecting: ie instead of ALL SW, just doing Sith and a couple of other characters.
I found I would buy stuff and half the time not even display it, even if it was something I “had to have”
Honestly don’t regret most of what I sold, miss a couple pieces like my Sideshow Clone Commanders.
End of the day, if you have no joy, don’t do it.

Hahaha, that's the reason why I sold it too, and my Spiderman. Weird proportions.

I only just started to sell some pieces - I tend to think if I make a 50 pound loss it's okay, as long as I can sell something, I'd rather take a bit of a hit and get rid off it than not. Although it's annoying as my things are pristine and basically new so people are getting great deals, oh well.

I certainly have some in my collection where I bought into the hype and not because I love the character *Harley Quinn*...

Buying everything in the line, then selling everything when you've lost interest, sounds to me you just collect for the sake of completion & showing off. it's sad but glad you realized it sooner.

Many people stopped collecting due to cost & interest but most still keep the old stuffs around unless they are in need of quick money. because they bought the stuffs they want instead of being a completionist coz when you do that one day you will ask yourself why are you still buying? if cost & space is not an issue it's not a problem just treat it like a habbit like sports cards but for most people they aren't cheap.

This is a perfect description of why I stopped collecting MCU and DCEU Super Hero figures from Hot Toys...who needs to buy a Hawkeye or Black Widow figure when you know that in 12 months another (probably better) version will be released forcing you to have your enjoyment diminished by owning the lesser figure, sell yours at a loss to make room for the new figure, or (worst case scenario) have seven different Hawkeyes on display...When this realization hit I decided to exclusively buy figures from classic films that have stood the test of time for me and not just the thing that I am excited about this summer that I forget the instant that I get home from the theater. When I came to this realization around a month ago and decided to sell all of my MCU and DCEU figures I was able to make a very nice profit on the DCEU figures so no complaints here!

[...]I decided to exclusively buy figures from classic films that have stood the test of time for me[...]

Another thing I'll do is go back and actually re-watch a nostalgic film. Some of them, I find I've outgrown or they're a pleasant trip down memory lane, but afterwards I don't feel any need to own anything from them. That's why I passed on Blitzway's Ghostbusters -- they look awesome but I don't feel any urge to own them.

To each their own, of course. There are as many different ways to collect (or not collect) as there are personalities.

Buying everything in the line, then selling everything when you've lost interest, sounds to me you just collect for the sake of completion & showing off. it's sad but glad you realized it sooner.

Many people stopped collecting due to cost & interest but most still keep the old stuffs around unless they are in need of quick money. because they bought the stuffs they want instead of being a completionist coz when you do that one day you will ask yourself why are you still buying? if cost & space is not an issue it's not a problem just treat it like a habbit like sports cards but for most people they aren't cheap.

Oh man, you hit me right in the spot.

I realised that after a few years with the same set of figures in my shelves which I have no feelings for.

Being a completionist is definitely a slippery slope particularly with Super Hero figures. It's one thing to say "I'm gonna finish the line" with $15 action figures but when you are paying $250 it pays to be slightly more selective. When space started to get filled way too quickly in my MCU and DCEU Hot Toys buying days I decided to start asking myself - if this Hot Toys figure that I am about to buy was the one and only Hot Toys figure that I owned (thinking back to my first Hot Toys figure purchase ever) would I enjoy it by itself? set up a great display for it? Proudly show it off to my wife? And if the answer was "no" then what was the point of spending over $200 on it? That exercise truly marked the beginning of the end for Marvel and DC figures for me.

Collect what you Love and never buy into the hype of the Next best thing. When i jumped into this crazy hobby i dreamed of a Star war's O.t collection and pretty much stuck to my rule only buy what really Love inspire's you. Like The Fight club movie line' The things you own end up owning you. We buy things we don’t need, with money we don’t have, to impress people we don’t like. Why The Hell would buy things you dont like ??? Again just buy what you love and skip ALL THE REST. You are the one that has to look at it everyday. Its a hobby not a competition.
AMEN! I love your words..they resonate like a piece from old Ludwig Von. Just recently, after getting the Sideshow Freddy, I had to get Jason. Never been a huge fan of Jason..but for every Freddy item I get, I have a Jason companion piece. So then that led me into wanting more horror figures. Got the Threezero Myers and was super impressed. Then I was REALLY concidering Pinhead..and even Ghostface. I mean, Scream came out when I was a bit older, so no nostalgia attached to it. And the only parts of Hellraiser I've seen were bits on tv. The money is the main factor, but even if these where $25 figures, why the hell would I be spending good money on characters that mean absolutely nothing to me? ..Just so I can say I own x number of these characters cause they tie into these other characters I actually like? It's so unhealthy obsessive and ridiculous. lol - so yeah, no more with the Jesse Pinkman's and variant #14 Stormtrooper's of the world. I'm only spending my money (rather it's $20 or $300) on stuff that's unique, cool and genuinely means something to me. Like for the life of me, I never could relate to army building. It takes away from a figure by owning the same thing 100 times over. And these ppl that buy and can afford like 6 Hot Toys Snowtroopers, what the hell!? If you like figure photography, just photoshop the rest and save a few thousand dollars. Apparently a lot of collectors are running free museum tours of there collections. Haha - I'm literally the ONLY one that sees my stuff. It's not like anyone would even have a reason to come to my house lol. So yeah, I kinda feel sorry to those dead souled, materialistic fiends that only live to brag about paying $2000 for a figure. I'm not saying I don't have a problem, but I'm working on dedicating less time to 'stuff' and more time to my daughter/family and other genuinely important things in life. Damn...this was way too long of a post😆

[...] for the life of me, I never could relate to army building. It takes away from a figure by owning the same thing 100 times over. And these ppl that buy and can afford like 6 Hot Toys Snowtroopers, what the hell!? If you like figure photography, just photoshop the rest and save a few thousand dollars. Apparently a lot of collectors are running free museum tours of there collections. Haha - I'm literally the ONLY one that sees my stuff. It's not like anyone would even have a reason to come to my house lol. So yeah, I kinda feel sorry to those dead souled, materialistic fiends that only live to brag about paying $2000 for a figure. I'm not saying I don't have a problem, but I'm working on dedicating less time to 'stuff' and more time to my daughter/family and other genuinely important things in life. Damn...this was way too long of a post��

Well, once again to each their own. I don't think one can make assumptions about someone based on their purchases, since we don't know what people's financial situations are, or how much time they devote to family, work, friends etc. -- and I think there's a fine line between bragging and sharing. At its best, this forum is where like-minded people connect. (On the other hand, at its worst...well...LOL ;) ).

I wholeheartedly agree (and I think anyone would) that relationships and experiences are more important than say, cars or clothes or action figures.

That said, as an occasional army-builder (in 1/6 it's more like 'squad-building' but whatever) I can tell you why I would bother -- there is an aesthetic appeal to identical massed objects, it's essentially a 3-dimensional pattern -- pattern is one of the basic elements of design. It may not be for everyone but it's a thing, particularly for characters that were usually presented en masse.

Although I do agree that there is a separate and equally arresting aesthetic for solitary objects which I love, maybe even more so than multiples in some respects.

Being a completionist is definitely a slippery slope particularly with Super Hero figures. It's one thing to say "I'm gonna finish the line" with $15 action figures but when you are paying $250 it pays to be slightly more selective. When space started to get filled way too quickly in my MCU and DCEU Hot Toys buying days I decided to start asking myself - if this Hot Toys figure that I am about to buy was the one and only Hot Toys figure that I owned (thinking back to my first Hot Toys figure purchase ever) would I enjoy it by itself? set up a great display for it? Proudly show it off to my wife? And if the answer was "no" then what was the point of spending over $200 on it? That exercise truly marked the beginning of the end for Marvel and DC figures for me.

I hear what you are saying. Wasn't going to invest in HT CW line just bought Civil War Ant-man because I like the character, as soon as I got the figure, felt the need to complete the line. :D (Probably not going to.)

Well, once again to each their own. I don't think one can make assumptions about someone based on their purchases, since we don't know what people's financial situations are, or how much time they devote to family, work, friends etc. -- and I think there's a fine line between bragging and sharing. At its best, this forum is where like-minded people connect. (On the other hand, at its worst...well...LOL ;) ).

I wholeheartedly agree (and I think anyone would) that relationships and experiences are more important than say, cars or clothes or action figures.

That said, as an occasional army-builder (in 1/6 it's more like 'squad-building' but whatever) I can tell you why I would bother -- there is an aesthetic appeal to identical massed objects, it's essentially a 3-dimensional pattern -- pattern is one of the basic elements of design. It may not be for everyone but it's a thing, particularly for characters that were usually presented en masse.

Although I do agree that there is a separate and equally arresting aesthetic for solitary objects which I love, maybe even more so than multiples in some respects.

I remember getting 6 Sideshow Cobra Troopers just to prove my point and show off on a G.I. Joe board, it felt good during that time as I have the bragging power.

But as you get older, you start to reflect on the stupid things you do back then. :slap

I think collecting those troopers in numbers aren't a bad thing, but collecting multiple Batman & Joker from same actor is. I don't mind 10 Stormtroppers all 100% identical lining up but i do mind 10 variations of same Batman.

Also if you collect those "Mascot" no-name-no-face folks you can easily sell off a few (and buy a few more) without feeling much.

For Ironman i think it's still ok as you treat each armor differently rather than "Tony Stark".

Im staring at my collection everyday , mostly Star Wars which consist of some 1/10 scale Bandai Tamashi and 1/6 Hot Toys.. make me smile and feel happy whenever i look at them and im very selective in my figures and limited to most favorite characters.. have no need to show off or running after any trends :)

You are free, my friend.
Run and never come back!
I shall join you in freedom soon.

I might go crazy someday and sell most(I've don't it before with big past collections; toys, cards, guns, etc...), but not sure if I could ever sell everything. Some times it about more than just the pieces. The community is a large part of the fun too.

Congrats OP. You've finally learned completionism is for chumps.

I think collecting those troopers in numbers aren't a bad thing, but collecting multiple Batman & Joker from same actor is. I don't mind 10 Stormtroppers all 100% identical lining up but i do mind 10 variations of same Batman.

Agree with this. Looks weird, and creepy, and wrong to have say 6 different Reeves Superman's on the same shelf.

Back