• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

H1 Michael Myers signup!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree with you both! The music is probably my favorite film score ever, barely beating out Jaws. It may not be John Williams orchestral music, but it's simplistic tune does so much to heighten the tension and make this film a classic. And as Blake said, Carpenter putting Michael out there lurking... without and musical giveaways...was genius. Some of the creepiest scenes involve Michael just staring out at Laurie, in broad daylight no less, only to disappear noiselessly moments later. :google

And Sean, I don't mind the discussion... Halloween deserves great discussion, it's IMO the best horror film ever made. :rock

Ya, the shot of Michael's back watching Laurie with the mask-muffled breathing very loud and heavy is just classic. I love how similarly to JAWS, you never really clearly see Michael until he picks up the phone after killing Linda, before that it was from far away or blurred by windows and such, that's great filmmaking too, it wasn't about seeing Michael, it was about him being a presence. That's the one down of RZ Halloween, it was cool to get an alternate take on the story, but bringing humanity to Michael takes away what made him stand out from Carpenter, he wasn't a man, he was just a force that couldn't be stopped and was all around, personified by the great closing sequence of revisiting everywhere Michael'd gone that night with his breathing overscoring the shots.

Ya, the shot of Michael's back watching Laurie with the mask-muffled breathing very loud and heavy is just classic. I love how similarly to JAWS, you never really clearly see Michael until he picks up the phone after killing Linda, before that it was from far away or blurred by windows and such, that's great filmmaking too, it wasn't about seeing Michael, it was about him being a presence. That's the one down of RZ Halloween, it was cool to get an alternate take on the story, but bringing humanity to Michael takes away what made him stand out from Carpenter, he wasn't a man, he was just a force that couldn't be stopped and was all around, personified by the great closing sequence of revisiting everywhere Michael'd gone that night with his breathing overscoring the shots.

You are right on the money man. RZ version took away that "presence" that Michael had... it made him too human. I always liked the MM was unstoppable, was evil incarnate. He killed at random sometimes, even in broad daylight. And the fact that even though he inhabited a human body, he was really no longer human.... That just scared me to death.

You are right on the money man. RZ version took away that "presence" that Michael had... it made him too human. I always liked the MM was unstoppable, was evil incarnate. He killed at random sometimes, even in broad daylight. And the fact that even though he inhabited a human body, he was really no longer human.... That just scared me to death.

The more and more I think about it RZ Halloween was more like trying to reinvent the wheel more than improve an EXCELLENT classic! Its not a surprise that the majority sides with Carpenters Halloween as THE best horror movie ever made. Its not just one of my favorite Horror movies but probably one of my "all time" favorite movies too.

I rank it way up there with the Shining. Now make me a damn Jack Torrence already Josh! :D

I think the differences really shine through the difference in Loomis' dialogue. In Carpenter's movie, they were "the blackest eyes, the Devil's eyes" as though Michael were posessed by something supernatural, where in RZ's they were "the eyes of a psychopath" and basically he was just a mass murdere on HGH.

One part of Halloween 4 I really like is when Loomis hitches with the preacher and they're talking about hunting the antichrist and how evil doesn't die like a man and Loomis can only think of Michael.

Back