Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M9 was my first pistol, I love it :love

Got to shoot my new mini-14 for the first time the other night. Had a lot of fun with it, really like shooting that one!

mini14.jpg

Oh that looks nice!

I know this isn't a for sale thread, but if anyone is looking for a quality upper, I am looking to get rid of a 10" VLTOR VIS, just PM me.

Took my ruger GP 100 out to the range today, damn that thing is fun to shoot. It was shooting accurate at the 50yd range and I hit target on paper at 100yds with 4 out of 6 rounds.

Took my ruger GP 100 out to the range today, damn that thing is fun to shoot. It was shooting accurate at the 50yd range and I hit target on paper at 100yds with 4 out of 6 rounds.

It is a frerakin' awesome feeling to hit from that far out, isn't it?

I would like some advice on buying my first handgun. I am going handgun shopping this weekend and I am leaning towards buying a Springfield XMD compact. I will mostly only "carry" it when we go camping and hiking, so I want something light and compact, but still want to have a decent size capacity for home defense etc. The one thing I am worried about with the XDM is the lack of a safety. Is that a big deal? I also see a lot of people liking 1911s. Why are they so popular and is it something I should consider over the XDM? Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

if you cant handle a gun without a safety "safely", then you probalby should not own a gun to begin with. The only safety you need is your trigger finger.

I would like some advice on buying my first handgun. I am going handgun shopping this weekend and I am leaning towards buying a Springfield XMD compact. I will mostly only "carry" it when we go camping and hiking, so I want something light and compact, but still want to have a decent size capacity for home defense etc. The one thing I am worried about with the XDM is the lack of a safety. Is that a big deal? I also see a lot of people liking 1911s. Why are they so popular and is it something I should consider over the XDM? Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

First things first...I suggest that you get at least some basic training in handgun usage. Some states require it, but even if you live in a state that does not, it is always a good idea.

The 1911s are very popular because they are a great design that has withstood the test of time and done so with flying colors. There is very little that can be argued against them.

Your own choice for a weapon is going to be a very personal choice. Your needs and limitations for things like home defense such as how close your neighbors are and the likely types of threats (armed vs unarmed, single intruders vs groups...etc), and camping/hunting will dictate things like caliber, propellant requirements and magazine capacity.

I do not own a XDm. But I have heard nothing terrible about it. Most of the complaints I have heard can be attributed to personal preferences of the people making the complaints. I am almost loath to say it as I don't want it to affect your decision, but the XDs almost seem a little too safe, for me. It is not that it does not have a safety, it just doesn't have a thumb safety.

It is important that you taylor the gun to your needs and what you are comfortable with. And yes, safety should be a cornerstone consideration, so make absolutely certain that you are as comfortable with the safety of the weapon as you are with the fit of it in your hand.

Edit - Oh, yeah...and good luck with your first purchase. I hope you are happy with your choice!

Last edited:

I or my wife often carry a Springfield XD9 subcompact, we love it. It has trigger safety and grip fire safety. You can use standard mag or extended mag with grip extension. Shoots great also.

As far as your safety concern this weapon won't fire by accident it will only fire when griped and trigger is pulled.

I highly recommend this gun.

Add me to the pro XDM side. Of all my polymer guns it's still my favorite.

I do love 1911's though. That could be your next gun. :)

if you cant handle a gun without a safety "safely", then you probalby should not own a gun to begin with. The only safety you need is your trigger finger.

Wow dude, way to jump to conclusions. I have used and practice with many a handgun over the years, and I am quite comfortable with handling them. My main concern over the lack of safety is having a kid at home. And while it will always be locked up at home, it will still always be a forethought in my mind about having a firearm in a house with a child, and while a safety isn't the only way to keep her safe from it, it is something to consider.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep it coming.

Add me to the pro XDM side. Of all my polymer guns it's still my favorite.

I do love 1911's though. That could be your next gun. :)

So if you could only keep one or the other, which would you get?

Thanks man! I really love this rifle, so solid. Was actually just as acurate as my buddies Daniel Defense AR-15's at the range. For the price, it's an excellent weapon IMO :yess:

Nice! There's not too much love around here on the Daniel Defense, I own a DDM4 v1 and love it.

:clap and you got the 4" barrel correct?

If you are mostly gonna carry it for camping, hiking or even home defense my opinion is to not get the 1911. But I highly recommend on getting one afterwards but not for what you mentioned what you primarily will use it for. There are so much pistols to choose from, even a cheap glock will do or even a PPQ which both cost around $500. If you got the cash try the HK or Sig.

It does all come down to personal preference. However, my CCW instructor would not recommend the XDs because of that grip safety. He said that if you're not holding it just right it won't fire and that could make the difference between life or death. He had also mentioned that there are gaps between the grip and the safety and something could potentially get lodged in that gap preventing the gun from firing. Just some other things to think about.

My wife has a Kahr CM9 and I plan to get a Kahr CM40 for CCW. However those 2 guns don't have safeties, so it's probably not something you'll be interested in. However our thoughts on that were if we are going to be faced with the situation of having to defend ourselves, then we don't want to have to worry about whether or not the safety is on.

Just more stuff to think about. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Wow dude, way to jump to conclusions. I have used and practice with many a handgun over the years, and I am quite comfortable with handling them. My main concern over the lack of safety is having a kid at home. And while it will always be locked up at home, it will still always be a forethought in my mind about having a firearm in a house with a child, and while a safety isn't the only way to keep her safe from it, it is something to consider.

Nothing short of good safety practices will keep these savvy kids away from your guns so a safety on the gun will probably only delay them by the time it takes em to figure out how it works. So a trigger lock and gun safe is gonna be your best friend when it comes to your kids.

Just read a review today about something on Mythbusters that helped a kid break into his parents biometric safe in less than 15 seconds cause they didn't wipe the finger tip scanner clean after accessing it. :slap

Good luck! Let us know what you picked up!

Nothing short of good safety practices will keep these savvy kids away from your guns so a safety on the gun will probably only delay them by the time it takes em to figure out how it works. So a trigger lock and gun safe is gonna be your best friend when it comes to your kids.

Just read a review today about something on Mythbusters that helped a kid break into his parents biometric safe in less than 15 seconds cause they didn't wipe the finger tip scanner clean after accessing it. :slap

Good luck! Let us know what you picked up!

well I went in all set to pick up the XDM .40. I decided to rent the one they had there to make sure I liked it before buying it. Shot about 30 rounds through it and then tried my buddies 9mm. Really, really liked the feel of it. So now I'm not sure what to do.

well I went in all set to pick up the XDM .40. I decided to rent the one they had there to make sure I liked it before buying it. Shot about 30 rounds through it and then tried my buddies 9mm. Really, really liked the feel of it. So now I'm not sure what to do.

I prefer 9mm pistols for the most part, ammo is easy and cheap to find.

I've put about 350 rounds out of my springfield XD9 subcompact and have had no problems.

I prefer 9mm pistols for the most part, ammo is easy and cheap to find.

I've put about 350 rounds out of my springfield XD9 subcompact and have had no problems.

the sad thing is I could have gotten a XD9 a few weeks back for $350 with the kit, but passed because I thought I should hold out for the .40.

Back