Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Im pretty pissed off guys. I got my ruger SR9C a few days ago and almost every clip I have had a failure to load.

That sucks man. I would send it back to Ruger. I've heard of these guns having trigger problems as well. Is this your first/only firearm?

Gentlemen, just a pet peeve of mine:

Semi-auto rifles and pistols use "magazines". You can even abbreviate with "mag".

"Clips" are what an M1 Garand uses, for example. Not the same thing.

Carry on.

;)

Eh, I never said I knew much on the subject. And honestly I'm more of a revolver guy than a semi-auto guy. I dunno I think I just figure the more complicated the mechanics, the more likely something can go wrong. My one semi auto that I own is an sw9f which is basically a carbon copy of a glock. A very simple semi auto that's known for it's reliability. At least from the people that I've talked to anyway. I do like my 9 because it's "magazine" :) :nana: :) can hold 17 rounds. But I still prefer my old school revolvers.

so whats wrong with DPMS?

I apologize for not replying sooner. Just saw your question now.

You basically are getting what you pay for. My motto in life for any kind of expensive purchase has been: "Buy once, cry once." in this case, my recommendation is to pay the extra money now for a better quality built rifle, especially if you are planning to use it for self defense, training and/or investment purposes.

If you are planning on simply taking it to the range once a month and shooting a couple of magazines through it at a time, perhaps you won't mind not having a mil-spec rifle.

Here is an excellent reference site known as "the chart", which gives a very good explanation of the different parts that make up an AR-15 and which companies adhere to the US military's specs and which companys either don't adhere or refuse to respond to repeated inquiries regarding their builds (DPMS and Bushmaster, for example.)

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...dUVoakZ3UHJnVEE&single=true&gid=5&output=html

I'm not saying that DPMS (or Bushmaster) make bad rifles. I'm simply saying that they possibly do not follow certain manufacturing / inspection guidelines.

My personal recommendation remains a Colt. As a matter of fact, I'll shortly be ordering a 6720 very soon. I can also recommend "Bravo Company" (BCM), "Daniel Defense" (DD) and a handful of others.

Educate yourself as much as possible on the AR platform. Not just in regards to manufacturers but in proper training with the weapon. Try to make the best informed purchase that you can so that you'll have no regrets later on.

I picked up my first Bushmaster AR-15 a couple months ago. I love it. Taught my son and wife how to shoot it. I equipped it with a bushnell T dot site but that is only accurate up to about 30 yards. i need a scope for long range shooting. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Ordered a fnh FNAR, pickup is Monday or Tuesday. Pumped!!! Really happy that it is a 308 round so money spent on scar ammo can be used for this also. Also ordered a two Harris bipods today and a Magpul FDE handgrip.

Oh and a few 308 rounds while I was on lunch, local store had a special and I got some Winchester 308 rounds at a good price.

I apologize for not replying sooner. Just saw your question now.

You basically are getting what you pay for. My motto in life for any kind of expensive purchase has been: "Buy once, cry once." in this case, my recommendation is to pay the extra money now for a better quality built rifle, especially if you are planning to use it for self defense, training and/or investment purposes.

If you are planning on simply taking it to the range once a month and shooting a couple of magazines through it at a time, perhaps you won't mind not having a mil-spec rifle.

Here is an excellent reference site known as "the chart", which gives a very good explanation of the different parts that make up an AR-15 and which companies adhere to the US military's specs and which companys either don't adhere or refuse to respond to repeated inquiries regarding their builds (DPMS and Bushmaster, for example.)

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...dUVoakZ3UHJnVEE&single=true&gid=5&output=html

I'm not saying that DPMS (or Bushmaster) make bad rifles. I'm simply saying that they possibly do not follow certain manufacturing / inspection guidelines.

My personal recommendation remains a Colt. As a matter of fact, I'll shortly be ordering a 6720 very soon. I can also recommend "Bravo Company" (BCM), "Daniel Defense" (DD) and a handful of others.

Educate yourself as much as possible on the AR platform. Not just in regards to manufacturers but in proper training with the weapon. Try to make the best informed purchase that you can so that you'll have no regrets later on.

eh, to each their own I guess. I am pretty happy with my DPMS, especially considering how inexpensive it was. Took it apart and put it together easy enough, and fired about 350 rounds out of it at the range last weekend with zero problems. Accuracy was fine even at 100 yards, so for my first gun, I am beyond happy.

I completely agree with f-n-f on going Colt's primarily on an AR-15. There are others who make a good-enough AR for the lower prices. But as the die hard AR lover that I am, I have yet to shoot any other AR that I like better than Colt's.

I am Ok with having other makes as well...and I will...but my own collection would never be complete without a Colt's as the "anchor".

My buddy has a Bushmaster that I have not had any trouble with. And there is a Black Rain Ordinance AR that I want to buy...mostly because it looks very badass. But the one that I looked at was so loose between the upper and lower receivers that you could rock the upper side-to-side about 1/16".

I am looking forward to getting my 6550 so that I can start expanding my AR collection into a few of the other manufacturers.

Oh freak yes!!! Was in my office and the guy brought a fedex package into me and low and behold it was 2 Scar 17s mags my wife found and bought for me! :yess:

I did too for my wife. I think I am going to pick up a 20 round "clip" for her too.

Ruger's 25 rounder is very good from what I hear and read. My daughter prefers the stock 10 rounders for some reason. Figure I should be able to pick some up cheap at the next gun show.

My fiance is threatening to buy me a taurus judge for Christmas. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Ruger's 25 rounder is very good from what I hear and read. My daughter prefers the stock 10 rounders for some reason. Figure I should be able to pick some up cheap at the next gun show.

my wife doesn't like the "look" of extended magazines for some reasons. She loved the Ruger 10/22 because the 10 round magazine fits inside and doesn't stick out. I am still going to pick her up one though because I am sure she is going to get tired of reloading every ten shots at some point.

Came across some eye opening video's from the war in Afghanistan last night posted on YouTube. Funker530 has 250 uploads, lots of firefights filmed like a FPS, cam on helmet or gun. I have DirectTV, best viewed on HDTV with surround sound, make some popcorn and appreciate the heroes at work! Just do a search of Funker530 and click youtube, in case anyone has'nt found that feature yet. Found myself yelling back at the towelheads with our guys after a few videos.

my wife doesn't like the "look" of extended magazines for some reasons. She loved the Ruger 10/22 because the 10 round magazine fits inside and doesn't stick out.

Same thing my daughter said.

Came across some eye opening video's from the war in Afghanistan last night posted on YouTube. Funker530 has 250 uploads, lots of firefights filmed like a FPS, cam on helmet or gun. I have DirectTV, best viewed on HDTV with surround sound, make some popcorn and appreciate the heroes at work! Just do a search of Funker530 and click youtube, in case anyone has'nt found that feature yet. Found myself yelling back at the towelheads with our guys after a few videos.

Ima check that out right now. :hi5:

my wife doesn't like the "look" of extended magazines for some reasons. She loved the Ruger 10/22 because the 10 round magazine fits inside and doesn't stick out. I am still going to pick her up one though because I am sure she is going to get tired of reloading every ten shots at some point.

Try living in CA...:thud:

Back