Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right about everything, which is why I've learned to live with Thanos no longer being the universe's biggest Death groupie. But if you're gonna do something as nonsensical as the High Evolutionary, why not go all the way and give him the damn mask and suit? If you're gonna adapt Dune, why not try a bit harder than cliche brutalism? I'm not expecting the comic book monologues of Adam Warlock to come to life, but come on, throw me a bone. To this day I don't think any cape flick has satisfied me as an adaptation. I'll always look at the MCU as a watered down Ultimate universe, and the original Iron Man remains the only genuine film. Brannagh's Thor could've been something too, but it was too early. Still, you can definitely see the difference between Thor 1 and 4.

All I can say, my friend, is that there is good TV and good films out there. Obviously with so much volume, and so many productions churning out original programming, it's hard to sift through all of it, but there are still gems outside the franchise market.

Midnight Mass was fantastic. A very compact 7 episodes.

The Great on Hulu

Severance that gave us the gift of bringing back Christopher Walken as well.

Arcane for animation. As well as Primal.

Another way to see it, is that the MCU franchise has created an entire new generation of kids who will become curious and look for comics, but even older comics and origin stories. In that regard, all the MCU fans have opened up a whole new world for an entire new generation. I still see that as a good thing.

I look for smaller wins whenever possible. But we are each different. Merry Xmas, my friend.

This is the one thing I respect about Snyder's DC films: at least they embrace the cosmic zaniness. Of course, their defense mechanism is throwing in heaps of melodramatic pseudo-philosophy, but at least the cosmic nonsense stays intact. :lol

It's all cringe at this point, though. I'm good without superhero movies for the rest of my life.
I will agree on that for Snyder. I can't connect with his DC stuff because I'm not much of a DC fan in the general sense. Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg, the Martian Manhunter, whatever; I don't much like them. I love Green Lantern and Batman, and I'm here for the New Gods (I've mentioned before that I have a love/hate relationship with them, which basically means I like the idea more than the execution, but still like the actual books well enough), but really DC wise I'm much more of a Vertigo/WildStorm fan than I am a DC one. So no matter the tone, I'll never be able to really connect with them, and it's why I don't spend hours ranting about them on a dolly forum like I do with the Marvel flicks.

Snyder's problem is that he's so obsessed with trying to add gravity to the situation that he goes to the opposite direction, and his aesthetic eye falters because he's stuck in the "grim n' gritty" phase, which most definitely doesn't mesh well with the concept of gods and myths. He tries bless his heart, with homages to classic cinema and literature and all that, but he can't make it click because he's not internalising them but merely trying to add them on top. The MCU has a coating of plastic and pleather, but Snyder is trying to tackle both "myths" (which as I've before, I find rather insulting when applied to capes) and some edgy 00s trenchcoat aesthetic, which clashes completely. The point of gods and myths is that they're larger than life, creatures of sublime light and darkness and all that. Snyder, despite his good eye, sucks all the grandeur and you're left with a mildling blandness. There's a middle ground between the MCU's quipfests and his self-absorbed and clunky flicks, but nobody's come close to it.

Yeah, I'm really tired of this approach.

4f1cc302ae3a1b315316829bad793b59.jpg

I have a similar gripe with the new Doom games. It's not enough that the subject matter is the kind of thing you'd see painted on the side of a van, we need NPCs to remind the player of how silly the world is. No one who plays Doom beyond the age of 14 takes it seriously. Its inherent ridiculousness is levity enough.
It's just trite at this point. If you have any faith in your product, play it straight.

I bought DOOM back in 2016 but my rig couldn't handle it well and I didn't come back to it when I upgraded due to time constraints. It took me literally a decade to finish Human Revolution and I've only played an hour of Mankind Divided. My videogaming days are dead. But I have seen enough of Eternal to get your point. It's a result of the original Doomguy becoming a meme of his own, from the games themselves to the "huge guts" licensed comic and then snowballing to what it is now. It's all parody. It's like with WH40K where yes it was a grimdark parody revelling in its setting, but now it's a parody of itself which means that it's total bull.

We reached a point where everyone is trying to appeal to every single demographic in order to rake in more and more cash, and thus despite some superficial coatings, nothing has a voice or identity and is varying levels of derivative pop culture schlock.

All I can say, my friend, is that there is good TV and good films out there. Obviously with so much volume, and so many productions churning out original programming, it's hard to sift through all of it, but there are still gems outside the franchise market.

Midnight Mass was fantastic. A very compact 7 episodes.

The Great on Hulu

Severance that gave us the gift of bringing back Christopher Walken as well.

Arcane for animation. As well as Primal.

Another way to see it, is that the MCU franchise has created an entire new generation of kids who will become curious and look for comics, but even older comics and origin stories. In that regard, all the MCU fans have opened up a whole new world for an entire new generation. I still see that as a good thing.

I look for smaller wins whenever possible. But we are each different. Merry Xmas, my friend.

Oh yeah, there are some good stuff out there. Less than there were some years ago even, but still. I did binge Midnight Mass this Halloween and while I have some complaints, it did have a set atmosphere and didn't feel like a dragged out filler show.

Ditto for Severance and Arcane. For the time being I'm eagerly awaiting for Succession, Barry and Servant to return. So sure, there's some good entertainment out there.

It's just that as a fan who dropped a lot of cash and time on such things, to finally see them hit the mainstream and be tantalised by possibillities of merch and new comics and so on for these lesser known characters, only to have them become unrecognisable to me, it ticks me off. I spent a decade going to the Tony Stark tags and seeing "fans" who'd never read a single issue devote their blogs to fanfics of mermaid Stark x Steve with Parker as their MPREG kid, instead of the cool fanart I was looking for. But I didn't care because with every new flick I had more Iron Man toys, the possibility of an Iron Man game increased, etc. Now I know that I'll never get the 300$ HE doll I was dreaming of, or the Namor one and so on and so forth. I know I'll never get the great Kang Saga I had built up in my head, and if I want a doll I'll have to try modding and buying extras. The actual Kang is still in the books, but it pisses me off nonetheless.

I suppose the solution is to stop caring too much, and true, I've set endmarks in my comic reading. Secret Wars was the end of canon for me, and I'm not collecting anything beyond that. Not because it was perfect, but it was a good stopgap and nothing else since then has been good enough. But in these days the high end merch is solely reserved for the movie versions, and if they suck, I'm out of luck. The 6" Marvel Legends Comic Kang just isn't enough for me. I wanted the dolls because as I've mentioned before, my shelves are my canon. I look at the figures and make up my own perfect stories. But if I can't get the dolls of my go-to characters, well, my collection feels incomplete and the "project" pointless. It's not "important" in the grand scheme of things, but still, it buggers me.

Either way, Merry Christmas back to you friend!

That's a consequence of the changes, the core issue are the needless deviations themselves. They're adaptations and I want to see them adapted as close to the source as possible. The source was good enough to stand for 40, 50, 60 years. I won't just accept an entirely different take just because the general audience thinks the source is "silly". That's my stance and I'll stick to it.

Well, that's the thing though, isn't it? The source wasn't good enough to stand for 40, 50, 60 years. Namor was defunct for at least a decade until F4 resurrected him. And the source, comics, has continually struggled. Heroes Reborn was a last- ditch effort to get people to care about anyone not in the X-Men. Then bankruptcy. Then Ultimate Marvel, an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of the films before it collapsed in on itself as well.

DC has the same issue. Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis (hahahahahahaha), and now they're gearing up for a new Crisis.

The source hasn't been able to reliably build a new reader base for decades. The movies are propping up the source now. You may not like the entirely different take, but right now that's what allows you to still enjoy the source on a weekly basis.

Well, that's the thing though, isn't it? The source wasn't good enough to stand for 40, 50, 60 years. Namor was defunct for at least a decade until F4 resurrected him. And the source, comics, has continually struggled. Heroes Reborn was a last- ditch effort to get people to care about anyone not in the X-Men. Then bankruptcy. Then Ultimate Marvel, an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of the films before it collapsed in on itself as well.

DC has the same issue. Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis (hahahahahahaha), and now they're gearing up for a new Crisis.

The source hasn't been able to reliably build a new reader base for decades. The movies are propping up the source now.
All markets and IPs have their ups and downs. SW wasn't always this huge juggernaut and it was kept alive by obsessed fans for quite a bit before it hit the mainstream again. The OT success gradually died down before the brand picked up steam again. By that logic no capecomic has been good enough to stand for X years. Before Claremont the X-Men were nothing, and it took him a couple of years to really build a fanbase. It wasn't an overnight success like some believe. The FF have never been as big as they were in the Lee/Kirby years. Comic book sales and redearship have declined in general. Nobody from the "new blood" is going to the comic shop to buy these things after watching the movies. Nobody cares. It's me and a few other schmucks still suffering from Stockholm Syndrome... A good run comes out here and there, maybe a handful of people care, but they'll never reach the heights of their golden years. Doctor Strange didn't have a solo from the late 90s until the push for the movie started. That's a good 20 or so year period. What, should they had changed him from an arrogant hotshot surgeon learning humility through magic to... dunno, a descendant of the victims of the Salem Witch Trials who hates Puritans and uses demonic magic to fight the evil regressives? Thor had his solo cancelled for quite a while in the 00s. Should that had been taken as a sign that Thor doesn't sell, and the MCU reworked him into... the Aboriginal God Of Thunder or something? They'd both be about as close an adaptation as MCU "Namor" is.

They're adaptations. I expect them to stick 90% close to the source. Period. That's my stance, and I'm not deviating from it. If MCU Namor had swapped Atlantis for the Lost Continent of Mu, maybe used "Namor" as a translation of his actual name used by others, but kept the rest the same, and had a more jacked/handsome actor, I'd have said fine. It'd have been a swap of a couple of things, but remained relatively similar. MCU Namor is literally a different character on every single level. But I've been posting the same exact thing for about a month now so I'm tired. I don't have anything new to offer in this discussion. I liked him as an OC, the actor's got acting chops but is too short and unremarkable, and I'll wait for future appearances and a new look to see if I'll get a dolly. That's about as much as I have to say on the matter.

You may not like the entirely different take, but right now that's what allows you to still enjoy the source on a weekly basis.
Ah yes, just like how I "enjoyed" 616 Tony Stark Post-MCU, where he went from a multifaceted and complex character to a walking quip-machine who'd break down and cry every 5 seconds. At least then I had the toys to look forward to since they were close to the source. That's not possible with Manlet Namor, Dreamworks Kang, 00s Cenobite Evolutionary and so on. These things have been around for decades. I was there long before Joe McGeneral Audience was "allowing me" to "enjoy the source". **** the general audience. I'd rather see it all burn and go back to limbo than feel "gratitude" towards watered down adaptations.

Last edited:
All markets and IPs have their ups and downs. SW wasn't always this huge juggernaut and it was kept alive by obsessed fans for quite a bit before it hit the mainstream again. The OT success gradually died down before the brand picked up steam again. By that logic no capecomic has been good enough to stand for X years. Before Claremont the X-Men were nothing, and it took him a couple of years to really build a fanbase. It wasn't an overnight success like some believe. The FF have never been as big as they were in the Lee/Kirby years. Comic book sales and redearship have declined in general. Nobody from the "new blood" is going to the comic shop to buy these things after watching the movies. Nobody cares. It's me and a few other schmucks still suffering from Stockholm Syndrome... A good run comes out here and there, maybe a handful of people care, but they'll never reach the heights of their golden years. Doctor Strange didn't have a solo from the late 90s until the push for the movie started. That's a good 20 or so year period. What, should they had changed him from an arrogant hotshot surgeon learning humility through magic to... dunno, a descendant of the victims of the Salem Witch Trials who hates Puritans and uses demonic magic to fight the evil regressives? Thor had his solo cancelled for quite a while in the 00s. Should that had been taken as a sign that Thor doesn't sell, and the MCU reworked him into... the Aboriginal God Of Thunder or something? They'd both be about as close an adaptation as MCU "Namor" is.

They're adaptations. I expect them to stick 90% close to the source. Period. That's my stance, and I'm not deviating from it. If MCU Namor had swapped Atlantis for the Lost Continent of Mu, maybe used "Namor" as a translation of his actual name used by others, but kept the rest the same, and had a more jacked/handsome actor, I'd have said fine. It'd have been a swap of a couple of things, but remained relatively similar. MCU Namor is literally a different character on every single level. But I've been posting the same exact thing for about a month now so I'm tired. I don't have anything new to offer in this discussion. I liked him as an OC, the actor's got acting chops but is too short and unremarkable, and I'll wait for future appearances and a new look to see if I'll get a dolly. That's about as much as I have to say on the matter.

Ah yes, just like how I "enjoyed" 616 Tony Stark Post-MCU, where he went from a multifacated and complex character to a walking quip-machine who'd break down and cry every 5 seconds. At least then I had the toys to look forward to since they were close to the source. That's not possible with Manlet Namor, Dreamworks Kang, 00s Cenobite Evolutionary and so on. These things have been around for decades. I was there long before Joe McGeneral Audience was "allowing me" to "enjoy the source". **** the general audience. I'd rather see it all burn and go back to limbo than feel "gratitude" towards watered down adaptations.
Epic post and that’s coming from someone who loves MCU Phase 1-3!

P
Ultimate Marvel predates the films by almost a decade. The films wouldn't have existed if not for The Ultimates.

Predates the MCU. But they're a direct response to the original Raimi Spider-Man and Singer X-Men.

P

Predates the MCU. But they're a direct response to the original Raimi Spider-Man and Singer X-Men.

Oh, I getcha. I thought you meant the MCU.

I never read Ultimate Spider-Man, but I could see that. Ultimate X-Men and Morrison's "New X-Men" were indeed responses to Singer's movie(s.) Especially the New X-Men costumes. Thankfully, they didn't last long. New X-Men is still a great read though. Ultimate X-Men doesn't hold up as well, in my opinion.

I think Ultimates (at least the ones written by Millar) are still excellent and definitely provided a blueprint that the MCU followed.

Epic post and that’s coming from someone who loves MCU Phase 1-3!
I don't mind the MCU. I don't mind new fans; everybody's gotta start somewhere. I don't even mind people preferring a specific AU to the mainline continuity. Even there you've got people being strict X-Fans or Spider-Fans and never venturing in the other corners of the wider MU. I just don't like the notion that the watered down versions meant to work on a budget are better than the source because more people, who'll forget about these characters in a snap, have watched them, and that I should be grateful because they're allowing the source to exist. The source doesn't get any new blood, movies or no movies. Disney keeps them around as an IP farm. If anything sales are getting worse because the fans of the "new and improved" versions won't spend 5$ on twenty pages, and the fans like myself don't care for the MCU-fied changes or the awful writing. Honestly, I'd rather watch it all burn than be "grateful" to the masses or accept any such radical changes for no reason other than synergy.

Oh, I getcha. I thought you meant the MCU.

I never read Ultimate Spider-Man, but I could see that. Ultimate X-Men and Morrison's "New X-Men" were indeed responses to Singer's movie(s.) Especially the New X-Men costumes. Thankfully, they didn't last long. New X-Men is still a great read though. Ultimate X-Men doesn't hold up as well, in my opinion.

I think Ultimates (at least the ones written by Millar) are still excellent and definitely provided a blueprint that the MCU followed.
Morrison himself said that he chased the Singer look:

UZVxA-7c3XFSwDegkcZHgukJ--Q62Veq-cxgV77DRho9kBJGAgSP2741Fad1CCmuZAWwj9pesgmQ8x2Hz4wn3hMamZj9idxZ2wCvMzuVD-O3IMBfrdfPoJce7g0Pki4XzoJvG3akmQ=s0

As an in-continuity tale, NXM was pretty bad. As its own thing, it had some neat ideas. The irony in that whole manifesto is that Morrison is knocking the fanboys and says they don't count, portraying himself as wanting to do something radically different to inject new blood. But that's all because he's really not a Marvel guy. All his DC books are about paying tribute to the stuff he grew up with, and beyond his meta fixation, he never did anything as drastic with those characters. He didn't suddenly have Superman get bored of Lois and cheat with Fem!Lex. He didn't have Batman want to **** Dick (in an interview for 1234 he said Sue and Johnny had an incestual dynamic). Meanwhile he went to town on the X-Men. It's a very biased take, but eh, I still liked the new ideas he brought forth with NXM. Not everything worked, and it basically ruined the X-Brand, but that's another talk.

Ultimate for me began swell, but they lost their footing. They had some neat ideas and using the SS Serum to connect the mutants and various metahumans made sense to me. It made the world smaller, but in a more "grounded" take where they weren't dealing with a new character coming onto the scene every 5 minutes, and every genre existing simultaneously, it made sense. It was very Y2K Sci-Fi and for me that's its charm. But by the time they'd reached "Mojo", "Ultimate Avengers", Ghost Rider and the such, it was getting too convulted. Hickman's tenure was great, but it was lest unfinished. All in all it perfectly encapsulated an era, at least for a bit, while really working with the WideScreen look popularised by WildStorm, so I choose to see the good bits.

The MCU isn't half as cool but also didn't use to be half as retarded. It was good enough. Nowadays it's just schlocky.

I use to read the ultimate Spider-Man comics but even as a child I hated how super dramatic they were and how things were a bit changed.

Hated the green goblin look. Absolutely hideous.
Venom origin was weird
Mary Jane was an idiot
Gwen’s death was stupid
Carnage was just some mindless beast
I felt Peter was far to op
Hated the sinister 6 plot.
I did like how hobgoblin was Harry but again they made Peter way to op so he got beat easily

I only read the stuff written by Millar, and when he moved on, so did I.

Ultimates 1 and 2 still holds up, I think. awesome stuff. Ultimates 3....let's not talk about that. Or "Ultimatum." Ugh.

I use to read the ultimate Spider-Man comics but even as a child I hated how super dramatic they were and how things were a bit changed.

Hated the green goblin look. Absolutely hideous.
Venom origin was weird
Mary Jane was an idiot
Gwen’s death was stupid
Carnage was just some mindless beast
I felt Peter was far to op
Hated the sinister 6 plot.
I did like how hobgoblin was Harry but again they made Peter way to op so he got beat easily
The Goblin stuff were a result of trying to tie the entire metahuman question to the Super Soldier Serum. I'd have done it differently, but I can see why they went in that direction. Ultimate really hammered down on the "90% of Spider-Man Rogues are tied to OsCorp screwing things up and the Military Industrial Complex", which I personally enjoyed. Early Ultimate was a "realistic" take on metahumans in that the entire thing was the result of, and in turn resulted in, a new arms race. I liked it for what it was, but that's because I also had the classics remaining untouched. For my money, I'm buying all the Ultimate Omnis, my grievances aside.

Goth Gwen, Wannabe Journo MJ, Fury being Peter's guardian of sorts; those were all 180 takes on the characters, and you either liked them or you didn't. I didn't much care for them because even when I was a big Spider-Fan I didn't care for the supporting cast. I don't really care for the civilians in my capebooks. I just read it for Spider-Man himself and the villains, which I found to be cool revamps. Electro especially was much better than the nothing character with the silly costume that was the 616. Not that black leather is that imaginative, but his 616 look is so bad, it was an improvement. Kraven was a big let down. Sandman was just there, as always. But I loved Technopath Ock. Venom was quite a lame character, Brock that is. I fancied the idea of the new Venom suit quite a bit, but Brock himself was just... eh. I get what they were going for, but 00s College Frat Bro was meh. I preferred that they leaned on him feeling screwed over the suit itself, as I never cared for the Journo aspect of the Spider-Books, so the bigger focus on the science aspect appealed to me. I found the Clone Saga more streamlined as well. It was a mixed bag, but I won't say that I didn't enjoy it as it leaned on the things I usually prefer.

Ultimates 1 and 2 still holds up, I think. awesome stuff. Ultimates 3....let's not talk about that. Or "Ultimatum." Ugh.
I liked the Ellis stuff too. The Hickman run that came much later. A few minis here and there. I really enjoyed the Iron Man stuff for example. The majority of it all was just filler books, but a few arcs/series really pulled off the widescreen Y2K blockbuster and Post-9/11 era, so I'll always have a soft spot for them. And Ult!Marvel did give us some of the best super-hero games in X-Men Legends, Ultimate Alliance and Ultimate Spider-Man, so there's another bonus. Ultimately, what Matrix is for the movies, and games like MGS are to videogames, early Ultimate and WildStorm are to comics.

I love U1-2

U3 lulz
I don't even understand what they were going for with Ultimates 3. The more the line deviated from the Y2K Metahuman Arms Race, the worse it got. It was just "edgy, but not too edgy, capes" during those times, nothing else. And that ultimately was its downfall. Ultimate Marvel should've been a universe with ramifications, where there was no status quo to go back to and the world around the characters changed rapidly. Hickman tried that, with the nuking of the US, the destruction of Europe, Reed's Children Of Tomorrow and so on, but it was cut short and he moved onto the Incursion plot line (which is going to get butchered in the MCU, but I don't want to complain about Dreamworks Clown Kang now...).

I just love the names and titles you give to each of your annoyances :rotfl

I bet Wor-Gar likes it too lol
How else will people know exactly what I mean, and be illuminated by my sublime opinions? I'm very egotistical and thus I must always be transparent.

God, I hate Dreamworks Clown Kang...

i-hate-you-angry.gif

I really have to stock up on Bale heads...

They had some weirdo stuff in those books if I recall. The wanda/peitro incest, the hulk eating people, black widow sleeping with everyone, pretty much every character dying. It was so odd

Glad Warlock is in, one of my fav Marvel characters. Will Poulter is a horrible casting choice though. As bad as Nic Cage Ghost Rider.

Last edited:
Back