Great films/ with mistakes!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xipotec

Super Freak
Reaction score
We all know bad films have big mistakes, how about the great films…..

Name some blockbuster/classic/Oscar level films and the glaring errors they have….

Not an oscar contender by any means, still one of my favorites...

-The American Civil War April 12, 1861 – May 9, 1865
-Dynamite is an explosive made of nitroglycerin, sorbents and stabilizers... patented in 1867

Not that it makes a difference at all to the plot or enjoyment of the movie. :wink1:
I'de make allowance these were two lost groups completely disconnected from the main, and kept fighting years after the fact.
Which actually makes Blondie and Tuco blowing the bridge, and finally ending their bloody stalemate, all the more meaningful.

Last edited:
Here's a big one that I can't unsee:

da475f082d48db4686fcfaf56377e52d.jpg

Here's a big one that I can't unsee:

da475f082d48db4686fcfaf56377e52d.jpg

There is at least one intentional mistake - the window in the back of the manager's office.

https://lostnarratives.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/the-shining-1980-and-the-impossible-window/

This is a goof I only noticed on a recent watch of Patton (1970):

vlcsnap-2022-07-26-22h41m18s566.jpg

Soldiers armed with machine pistols, yet wearing rifle ammunition pouches.

It was a classic goof repeated numerous times in Raiders of the Lost Ark:

RMP40A.jpg

(I'll let the MP40s in 1936 slide!)

There is at least one intentional mistake - the window in the back of the manager's office.

https://lostnarratives.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/the-shining-1980-and-the-impossible-window/

This is a goof I only noticed on a recent watch of Patton (1970):

View attachment 590913

Soldiers armed with machine pistols, yet wearing rifle ammunition pouches.

It was a classic goof repeated numerous times in Raiders of the Lost Ark:

View attachment 590914

(I'll let the MP40s in 1936 slide!)
Patton (hurry up 4K version!) and Raiders are two of my favourite movies, so I can forgive them, especially as I had no idea.

There are tons in Terminator 2:
Sarah getting the number of bones in the human body wrong
Motorbike jump into the canal clearly not Arnie
Truck about to crash into the canal the name of the truck is backwards (because they reversed the shot)

All of the mistakes in the Star Wars movies are numerous and well-documented since the dawn of the internet.

The obvious ones like "Stormtrooper bumps head" are so well-known that they're boring.

I personally think the most egregious error are the reversed shots of Boba Fett in ROTJ that could have easily been fixed for the Special Editions, yet bafflingly still exist in the movies in whatever the current form is today.

One I always think of is from the Classic American Werewolf in London…

We see David transform in the living room, and go on a rampage throughout London, but how did the werewolf get out of the flat?

No broken doors or windows……

They did show the wolf cage with broken open chain link, but the apartment was sealed…

Maybe not considered a 'great' movie but SPEED -- so many shots you can see the camera crew reflected in the windows of the bus. If you start looking, you'll be amazed.

RAIDERS of course had the glass (seen clearly by reflection) separating Indy from that cobra. There's also a camera crew in t-shirts and white shorts kicking back on a wooden landing high on a hill in the background of the shot where Sallah and Indy walk into the German camp (the sequence before Indy enters the tent where Marion is). In the next cut of the same angle, that wooden camera perch has been cleared of crew.

There's millions of these things in almost every film, isn't there? Like the Roman soldiers with wrist watches in Ben Hur.

Last edited:
I love visible camera crews. You can see the camera crane shadow on the side of a moving car towards the end of RoboCop at the mill. And Kevin Smith points out the camera crew reflection in a shot on the Chasing Amy commentary

One I always think of is from the Classic American Werewolf in London…

We see David transform in the living room, and go on a rampage throughout London, but how did the werewolf get out of the flat?

No broken doors or windows……

They did show the wolf cage with broken open chain link, but the apartment was sealed…
He leaves the apartment door open earlier on in the evening. Just before he walks back into the lounge and looks in the mirror.

My favorite movie of all tie, Pulp Fiction, has several continuity errors.

The bullet holes are already on the wall behind Vince and Jules before the guy shoots his gun.

Pumpkin's dialogue doesn't match the flashback from earlier in the movie, and Jules says Ezekial 25:17 two different ways.

My favorite movie of all tie, Pulp Fiction, has several continuity errors.

The bullet holes are already on the wall behind Vince and Jules before the guy shoots his gun.

Pumpkin's dialogue doesn't match the flashback from earlier in the movie, and Jules says Ezekial 25:17 two different ways.
I always thought that these were all intentional on QT’s part.

Ehhh...when a director says "Oh I meant to do that." especially years after the fact, I usually chalk that up to them BSing.

George Lucas being the biggest offender of all time.

Ehhh...when a director says "Oh I meant to do that." especially years after the fact, I usually chalk that up to them BSing.

George Lucas being the biggest offender of all time.
Maybe the bullet holes, not sure if he’s ever spoken about that, but the dialogue changes are intentional.

That opening scene is from their point of view whereas the end it’s from Jules and Vincent’s point of view. Same with Ezekiel.

The crew members are arguably not to scale in this scene from ST:TMP.

(They haven't seen fit to "fix" it for the new remastered version so they're obviously doubling down!)

6nAnvE1.jpg

We all know bad films have big mistakes, how about the great films…..

Name some blockbuster/classic/Oscar level films and the glaring errors they have….

In The Two Towers, Eomer gets on his horse, after confronting Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas and gives them two horses, if you watch carefully, his rubber sword falls out of his sheath. It literally flops out and falls.

In Gladiator, when the arena Battle Of Carthage happens, when a chariot flips over and crashes apart, you can see the motor/mechanics/gas section of one chariot while it's insides are flipped on it's side to the view of the camera

In Saving Private Ryan, they use a distance pick up shot of the squad walking across an open field. The problem is the scene still has 8 people. This happens AFTER the scenes where Vin Diesel exits the film.

In The Godfather, when Tom Hagen talks to Kay, trying to deflect her away from asking about Michael and where he's gone, she can see and notices and mentions the shot up car. That scene happens BEFORE Sonny gets hit in said car at the tollbooth stop. I guess they just moved the scene ahead because back then, long movies would often by split up with a break in the theaters. They probably wanted an action scene to end the first "break"

Back