Gotham City Origins series -Commissioner Gordon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just described "HBO's Batman: Why ****'s so ****ed up in Gotham"

You're right, that does sound more like HBO's Batman. It actually makes me kind of sad that one of the best channels on television is under the same Time Warner umbrella as DC Comics, and, yet, the company's never utilized them in tandem with one and other. Not saying I want "HBO Batman," necessarily (though, admittedly, it would be awesome), but why haven't we seen any of the Vertigo titles or more mature content?

In a society that loves post-apocalyptic scenarios, why haven't they adapted "Y:The Last Man" complete with a (real or CG) Capuchin monkey Ampersand and all of the gratuitous Lesbian softcore action that only HBO could get away with.:lol You'd have the combined markets of both "The Walking Dead" and "Orange is the New Black" tuning in week after week.:lol

^Well once again Marvel is probably about to set the standard with their Netflix lineups. And that's coming from a DC comic loyalist.

Meanwhile FOX is going after Smallville and Arrow money.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: My assumption has been that the reason this TV show can be done — rights-wise — is because Batman himself is not in it. That way, it doesn’t overlap with any films. Is that correct?

BRUNO HELLER: Certainly from Warner Bros. and DC’s business point of view, that’s why it can be done. For me, if they said, “Do Batman,” I would have said, “No.” I would have not been interested at all. I don’t think Batman works very well on TV — to have people behind masks. Frankly, all those superhero stories I’ve seen, I always love them until they get into the costume. And then it’s, “Oh, okay, they’ve ascended, they’ve stopped becoming humans.” It’s their apotheosis. They go to heaven and they’re Superman. There have been so many great versions of it. This is a version of something else entirely.

Oh good, he's running a comic book show and doesn't like comic book characters. This will be great... :cuckoo:

You can still do Gotham with Batman, without using Batman; somebody should've seriously sent this dude a few Gotham Central trades to show him how it's done. As it stands, though, I guess this pretty much guarantees we're getting 5 years of Mazous Bruce. Enough fartin' around, WB; gimme my Flash trailer!

No interest in this show whatsoever. Seeing little Bruce get into a fight with little ivy at school or something along those lines. I love batman but no thanks

Oh good, he's running a comic book adaptation and doesn't like comic book characters... :cuckoo:

chris_nolan_zpsd42e906f.jpg

So what you're saying is... this could turn out to be a really good TV series? ;)

That interview makes me sad. Pidgeonholing yourself to that "no flights, no tights" ******** like Smallville did only handicaps you creatively. The feud that will go down in history is Batman vs. The Joker, not Detective Jim Gordon vs. The Joker.:lol

It looks better the more I see of it. Not sure about the Resident Evil-esque butcher guy. That's a little too far fetched for me. I think that's where stuff like "Batman as the inspiration" comes into play. I really, really don't like it when pre-Batman Gotham has costumed criminals. I just don't. It just doesn't fit, for me. Gotham should be cops vs. criminals before Batman, and cops being out of their depth trying to go head to head with super-villains after Batman.

Gotham looks cool, villains look terrible, plot sounds stupid.

Bruce and Gordon are close friends for 10 years and suddenly when he's old enough Batman shows up. Gordon has no idea?

And the Joker existing in the first season when Bruce is 10 makes me want to watch even less.

The Joker should not exist, in any form, before Batman. That being said, I think having the person who becomes The Joker is alright. Personally, though, I'd love if they kept it ambiguous, or rolled all of the interpretations into one; we meet a young enforcer named "Jack" in Fish Mooney's gang, but, then, we also see a wirey kid trying his hand at stand-up in her club, as well, and maybe another one. Who is it? Nobody knows.

You raise an excellent point about Bruce and Gordon, though. Outside of the Batman relationship, the public "Bruce Wayne" has never really been "friends" with Gordon. At best, they're acquaintances who make the rounds at some of the same functions, but Gordon's not a case worker, he shouldn't be making stops at Wayne Manor all the time. The only way I can see it is if Bruce starts acting out because of his experience, and Gordon tries to take him under his wing and set him straight.

Gotham looks cool, villains look terrible, plot sounds stupid.

Bruce and Gordon are close friends for 10 years and suddenly when he's old enough Batman shows up. Gordon has no idea?

And the Joker existing in the first season when Bruce is 10 makes me want to watch even less.

I agree with everything said here... the more they show and talk about their interpretations of the villians the less I care to even want to give this a chance. Looks like they are tryint to hard and are grasping at straws.

I liked it better when Gordon was a transfer from Chicago and had an affair with his wife, not the straight laced police guy that helped console Bruce Wayne when his parents died.

Gordon shouldn't even come into contact with Wayne as far as I'm concerned. Shoulda just made it set in Batman's first year where Gordon is a transfer cop that is dealing with the city's corruption. Basically, Gordon: Year One.

The Joker should not exist, in any form, before Batman. That being said, I think having the person who becomes The Joker is alright. Personally, though, I'd love if they kept it ambiguous, or rolled all of the interpretations into one; we meet a young enforcer named "Jack" in Fish Mooney's gang, but, then, we also see a wirey kid trying his hand at stand-up in her club, as well, and maybe another one. Who is it? Nobody knows.

This exactly!! We don't even know Joker's real name. And as far as most interpretations of the character go he and Bruce are around the same age. Having him even be a mob enforcer while Bruce is 8-10 makes no sense. This show could work, if it focused on the police/mob dynamic. But having all of Bruce's villains interacting with Bruce and Gotham while they are kids cheapens the world. It makes it all so small. I am losing faith in this show now.

Back