Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we pretend that it is 1975 for a moment and look back on the history of the franchise?

Those films were “not” made at the best of the studio’s abilities. For one. The suit would sometimes fall apart and you could see that in many of the scenes before hand.
Until Destroy All Monsters each suit was a new suit with Ghidorah The Three Headed monster being same suit from GvM with different head with movable eyes. Sometimes they would reuse suits for water scenes. After DAM they used the suit in All Monsters Attack, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster and Godzilla vs Gigan. By All monsters Attack they started to go really cheap reusing scenes.

They went back to new suits in Godzilla v Megalon and the two Mechagodzilla films.

When I talk about best of their abilities I refer more to the first 9 films. With maybe the exception of Godzilla vs the Sea monster.

And again let’s not pretend we watch those later films like seriously. It’s mostly the love we remember for those films and the charm they had.

Also have you seen son of Godzilla? That was pretty much thrown together.
SOG had some of the best monsters in the series with the worst Godzilla suit (unfortunately) the giant spider and prey Mantis creatures are amazing and their best wire and puppet work. So I disagree it was “thrown together”

It did have a smaller budget as Toho was throwing their money and A team words King Kong Escapes. I would say Son of G faired much better.

Also come on now Godzilla jumped the shark long ago when he fought various versions of himself. But somehow running alongside kong is the thing that is “cartoonish”
First off anything after DAM is hard for me to watch. The quality is bad but again there is a charm to them that can’t be overstated. You prepare your mind for those.

My comments about cartoonish is that the CGI looks like cartoonish. They don’t look as real as previous films the two running together looks and is stupid.

Me I have higher expectations for these new Godzilla films and don’t expect them to go down the Godzilla vs Megalon path.
But if we are talking ridiculous here. King of the monsters was just as stupid.
It’s stupid yes but not as stupid as GxK is looking to be.
King ghidorah causing world wide hurricanes,
Huh… watch the film again. The hurricane followed him due to him being a space alien and having an effect on the Atmosphere. Much less stupid the Gantlet wearing Kong.
Godzilla turning red and shooting mothra energy out his body.
Yeah not a fan. A tribute to the 90’s Godzilla in many ways but dumb. Still better looking and more forgivable the cartoon graphics and running, poorly designed and animated Godzilla.
The monsters Bowing to him.
I hate that part can’t argue.. I’ll take that over how bad most of the GxK graphics look and cartoon baby apes
But that one scene was the thing that got you guys to say “yea this is kinda dumb”
It’s because it in no way fits the tone or rules established before it.

The idea of Godzilla running isn’t what sucks its final results and how it’s animated ( they failed with the run in G:2019 also but it was not nearly as comically bad). Godzilla looks just like a transformer the way he hops out of the ground and starts running and not a prehistoric monster
it’s been dumb for awhile. The franchise bounces from dumb to serious on a dime
Well I’ll call the old G movies **** when they are and I’ll call the new ones **** when they are.

We have not even touched on the mess that was the millennium series and that abomination That was Godzilla Final Wars which made the errors that this movie looks like it may be making by having their monsters move nothing like monsters but the suit actors and motion actors…, ****

The movie should have been a whole lot better than it was. The comic con trailer promised a very horror like take on the character and a force of nature tyoe villian. What we got was generic bug monsters and cutaway scenes. Also if you are heavily promoting Cranston as your main lead it’s kinda dumb to kill him off in the first 20 min
Here we can agree. That trailer and that Empire magazine cover with the military battling Godzilla.. if we got that film then Minus one might only be the 2nd best Godzilla film.

Whats crazy about 2014, was the complaints were
1. Too Dark
2. Not enough G time.
3. Cranston dies too early.
1. On Blu ray there was a problem with the transfer. It looked fine in theaters but that Blu ray rivaled AvP:R in terms of not being able to see anything

2. It was one tease too many IMO. Plus there was the disappointment of it not being the film the trailer promised.

3. The trailer promised Cranston to be the star. He is the best character and so yeah… He dies to early :lol
The too dark thing is just people warching it on inferior screens, at home or the theater. I wont watch films in the theater unless its IMAX and calibrated. We saw Black Panther on a regular screen, and had no idea what was happening the first 10 minutes as it was an over contrasted gray mess.
See point one above :)
2. G has the same screen time in 2014 as in G-1. And some of those scenes are some of the best G shots in ever filmed. Truely incredible shots.
We have higher expectations with today’s VFX and much shorter attention spans :lol but let’s be honest the film comes to a screeching haunt anytime the humans are on screen after he dies.
3. Cranston...Man what a film it would have been with him as the lead the whole time. But I believe other commitments made that impossible.
It would have made the non monster parters much more interesting.
Its really really underated.
As far as KOM, I can watch Rodan rise, and Ghidorah rampages all day, the in between is almost unbearable to witness....GvsK was even worse in that regard.
I like KOM up until G gets hit with the oxygen destroyer. It just gets boring and focuses on the humans way too much. Then they try and have some sort of redemption arc with the awful mother. Yuck

The Human part of GvK does not bother me their story always focused on the monsters and pretty cgi :lol

Until Destroy All Monsters each suit was a new suit with Ghidorah The Three Headed monster being same suit from GvM with different head with movable eyes. Sometimes they would reuse suits for water scenes. After DAM they used the suit in All Monsters Attack, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster and Godzilla vs Gigan. By All monsters Attack they started to go really cheap reusing scenes.

They went back to new suits in Godzilla v Megalon and the two Mechagodzilla films.

When I talk about best of their abilities I refer more to the first 9 films. With maybe the exception of Godzilla vs the Sea monster.

And again let’s not pretend we watch those later films like seriously. It’s mostly the love we remember for those films and the charm they had.

SOG had some of the best monsters in the series with the worst Godzilla suit (unfortunately) the giant spider and prey Mantis creatures are amazing and their best wire and puppet work. So I disagree it was “thrown together”

It did have a smaller budget as Toho was throwing their money and A team words King Kong Escapes. I would say Son of G faired much better.

First off anything after DAM is hard for me to watch. The quality is bad but again there is a charm to them that can’t be overstated. You prepare your mind for those.

My comments about cartoonish is that the CGI looks like cartoonish. They don’t look as real as previous films the two running together looks and is stupid.

Me I have higher expectations for these new Godzilla films and don’t expect them to go down the Godzilla vs Megalon path.

It’s stupid yes but not as stupid as GxK is looking to be.

Huh… watch the film again. The hurricane followed him due to him being a space alien and having an effect on the Atmosphere. Much less stupid the Gantlet wearing Kong.

Yeah not a fan. A tribute to the 90’s Godzilla in many ways but dumb. Still better looking and more forgivable the cartoon graphics and running, poorly designed and animated Godzilla.

I hate that part can’t argue.. I’ll take that over how bad most of the GxK graphics look and cartoon baby apes

It’s because it in no way fits the tone or rules established before it.

The idea of Godzilla running isn’t what sucks its final results and how it’s animated ( they failed with the run in G:2019 also but it was not nearly as comically bad). Godzilla looks just like a transformer the way he hops out of the ground and starts running and not a prehistoric monster

Well I’ll call the old G movies **** when they are and I’ll call the new ones **** when they are.

We have not even touched on the mess that was the millennium series and that abomination That was Godzilla Final Wars which made the errors that this movie looks like it may be making by having their monsters move nothing like monsters but the suit actors and motion actors…, ****
You forget tho in the hollow earth it’s gravity is weird so Godzilla being able to live faster is probably due to the gravity there. And yea I agree the millennium era wasn’t the best imo. But tbh I don’t think Godzilla in the monster verse will reach that level.

Here we can agree. That trailer and that Empire magazine cover with the military battling Godzilla.. if we got that film then Minus one might only be the 2nd best Godzilla film.
Yea. I think a lot of people actually were dissatisfied with the movie because it was exactly advertised as a disaster film with Godzilla only as a force of destruction with minor monsters thrown in. The whole movie seemed to surround the mutos more with Godzilla coming into save the day. Everything about the movie just felt like false advertising

Yea. I think a lot of people actually were dissatisfied with the movie because it was exactly advertised as a disaster film with Godzilla only as a force of destruction with minor monsters thrown in. The whole movie seemed to surround the mutos more with Godzilla coming into save the day. Everything about the movie just felt like false advertising
It was a bait and switch for sure.

You forget tho in the hollow earth it’s gravity is weird so Godzilla being able to live faster is probably due to the gravity there. And yea I agree the millennium era wasn’t the best imo. But tbh I don’t think Godzilla in the monster verse will reach that level.
Hollow earth could be the excuse but it still looks bad. I don’t like Godzilla holding his tail and flying or sliding on his tail for a drop kick either. No excuses for making Godzilla look bad :(

Hey day!

T17HStl-asset-mezzanine-16x9-WsBCUmR.jpg

11 monsters! Count 'em!

Yeah , I get people expected a different film from the trailer, I was never in that group.

My expectations was a G v Something.

If I had a complaint it was the Mutos....just boring design.

Strange thing about the Blu Ray ? Mine looks fine?

Yeah , I get people expected a different film from the trailer, I was never in that group.

My expectations was a G v Something.

If I had a complaint it was the Mutos....just boring design.

Strange thing about the Blu Ray ? Mine looks fine?
Boring design but great sound design. Those things sound awesome on my home theater.

Awesome, and also raises a valid trailer point. The Infinity War trailer ended with all of the Avengers charging into battle, including Hulk, when Hulk is never even in that battle.

For all we know, the Godzilla and Kong running shot won't even be in the movie.

1. I can’t stop watching that.
2. I can’t stop laughing.
3. BOBF levels of lulz confirmed
4. Wish I could see JAWS face when he sees this lol

Last edited:
Can there be any real expectations of a story beyond.....

1. Kong gets beat down by evil Ape
2. G gets beat down by evil Ape Hereby known as Vape.
3. Godzilla and KK team up to save Grape (son of kong)
4. Godzilla dies in the action making Kong new King of the Monsters.

Gotta bookmark this post for later reference.
Basically since the ‘98 dabacle, TOHO has a clause in their crossover contracts saying that the Big G can’t lose or die in crossovers. I specifically remember reading that Godzilla can’t die without having a successor for the Legendary movies. TOHO will always have the final say about what happens to Godzilla.

But! That doesn’t mean that Kong has that treatment. Your average movie goer connects with Kong because he’s a sympathetic character, so he’s definitely not safe.

Back