Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez are you guys still on about Gozilla and Kong running together.
You act like they did a jump high five or something.
I swear in 1975 or whenever you guys were young and brimming with passion you would have squeeled at the thought of Gozilla and Kong running together to fight some enemy.

Seriously lets go back in time here.
1954 is a serious Godzilla movie and by the third movie he is fighting a giant Gorilla.
Fast forward to Present day
Godzilla 2014 was sorta serious and by the third movie he's fighting a giant Monkey.

Now imagine being a fan in like 54 and seeing the GIGANTIC SHIFT in quality and tone. Yea compared to that it ain't that bad lol.

At the end of the day Godzilla is just that good of series that can do both scary and goofy. Histories most versitle character.
Can we pretend for a moment that it’s not 1975 and we are not 4 years old.

Yes Godzilla vs Megalon was great when I was a little kid. But it’s not good now. Not even a little. Even for nostalgia reasons it fails.

Also those films were made with the best of those studios abilities hence the charm many of them have. Even the ones made for kids maintain that. What charm will the soulless CGI looking / dumb ideas will this film hold. Especially when we know they can do better.

Is it so much to ask for quality. I was happy with all the monsterverse films but this one looks like a cartoon in terms of graphics and seems to jump the shark in terms of ideas.

GvK proved you can be dumb fun without being completely stupid

Indeed, the serious films like Gojira and Minus One serve one value as a fan, and movies like Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, GvK and now this serve another.

I enjoy everything Godzilla.
Again nobody is asking for 1954 or Minus one with this film.

Another KvG would be great in terms of tone and quality.

I don’t know what this film is trying.

Godzilla is borderline unrecognizable

Hope I’m wrong about everything.

Aw crap...

My son and I have a running joke about each episode being 48 minutes of talking before two minutes of monster action at the end.

I even let out a grown when the episode three title came up "Secrets and Lies." I said I don't want secrets, I don't want lies. I want big ass monsters crushing stuff. And then my son goes uh oh remember the last show we watched that had "Secret" in the title...lol.
You just had to see a review or two of first five to know this is not a monster mash film.

I’m enjoying it. It’s better than most all Marvel and Star Wars streaming shows. Which is not saying much :lol

It’s not perfect but Kurt and his Son in a universe where Godzilla exist is good enough for me.

Kurt Russell said Godzilla’s name in the last episode. Something I never thought I’d hear or see :lol

I don't know how many of the toy leaks you guys have seen, but there's more to this movie than what they're showing in the trailer.

Dunno if it'll be "good" per se, but it won't just be Godzilla and Kong vs Evil Ape.

You just had to see a review or two of first five to know this is not a monster mash film.

I’m enjoying it. It’s better than most all Marvel and Star Wars streaming shows. Which is not saying much :lol

It’s not perfect but Kurt and his Son in a universe where Godzilla exist is good enough for me.

Kurt Russell said Godzilla’s name in the last episode. Something I never thought I’d hear or see :lol
I'm surprised they're dropped the trailer for something like GxK while new Monarch episodes are still coming out. Very different tones, not sure how they'll reconcile the two. Unless the GxK trailer was cut to have a more playful tone than the actual movie.

I'm surprised they're dropped the trailer for something like GxK while new Monarch episodes are still coming out. Very different tones, not sure how they'll reconcile the two. Unless the GxK trailer was cut to have a more playful tone than the actual movie.

I have read that content within Monarch will tie to things in GxK so I think they want to have the GxK hype building as Monarch unfolds.

I was more surprised to see it happen just days after Minus One hit the U.S.

Yes Godzilla vs Megalon was great when I was a little kid. But it’s not good now. Not even a little. Even for nostalgia reasons it fails.

Also those films were made with the best of those studios abilities hence the charm many of them have. Even the ones made for kids maintain that. What charm will the soulless CGI looking / dumb ideas will this film hold. Especially when we know they can do better.

Is it so much to ask for quality. I was happy with all the monsterverse films but this one looks like a cartoon in terms of graphics and seems to jump the shark in terms of ideas.

1702326631645.gif

My sentiments exactly. 2014 was not a dumb popcorn film, which made it great. They have decided to go with base filmmaking for base audiences. Clearly ment to entertain kids and people who want mindless , soulless entertainment .....and thats fine for them, I am especially glad for kids that love G already.

But dont tell me that cannot write a compelling story. The first quarter of 2014 was some of the best Godzilla we have ever seen, Cranston nailed it, and the suspense and drama was spectacular....I argue that 2014 got WAY too much hate. Now with the release if G-1 , 2014 is my second favorite Godzilla film.

No pandering to cheap audience tricks in that film.

View attachment 677921

My sentiments exactly. 2014 was not a dumb popcorn film, which made it great. They have decided to go with base filmmaking for base audiences. Clearly ment to entertain kids and people who want mindless , soulless entertainment .....and thats fine for them, I am especially glad for kids that love G already.

But dont tell me that cannot write a compelling story. The first quarter of 2014 was some of the best Godzilla we have ever seen, Cranston nailed it, and the suspense and drama was spectacular....I argue that 2014 got WAY too much hate. Now with the release if G-1 , 2014 is my second favorite Godzilla film.

No pandering to cheap audience tricks in that film.
I just watched 2014 the other night and really enjoyed it.

I wish we go a bit more monster mash but it was still great.

I loved Godzilla v Kong. Yeah the story was nuts but the film was respectful to the monsters.

Godzilla 2019 is my least fav as it falls apart after the first hour and thinks we care about the characters more the. The monsters lol

I was starting to really dislike 2019 but the new trailer made me appreciate it more :lol

Plus the Antarctica fight is maybe my fav in the series.

I just watched 2014 the other night and really enjoyed it.

I wish we go a bit more monster mash but it was still great.

I loved Godzilla v Kong. Yeah the story was nuts but the film was respectful to the monsters.

Godzilla 2019 is my least fav as it falls apart after the first hour and thinks we care about the characters more the. The monsters lol

I was starting to really dislike 2019 but the new trailer made me appreciate it more :lol

Plus the Antarctica fight is maybe my fav in the series.
Whats crazy about 2014, was the complaints were
1. Too Dark
2. Not enough G time.
3. Cranston dies too early.

The too dark thing is just people warching it on inferior screens, at home or the theater. I wont watch films in the theater unless its IMAX and calibrated. We saw Black Panther on a regular screen, and had no idea what was happening the first 10 minutes as it was an over contrasted gray mess.

2. G has the same screen time in 2014 as in G-1. And some of those scenes are some of the best G shots in ever filmed. Truely incredible shots.

3. Cranston...Man what a film it would have been with him as the lead the whole time. But I believe other commitments made that impossible.

Its really really underated.
As far as KOM, I can watch Rodan rise, and Ghidorah rampages all day, the in between is almost unbearable to witness....GvsK was even worse in that regard.

Attachments

• IMG_7484.jpeg
    IMG_7484.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

I have to agree Kurt saying Godzilla was freakimg awesome lol

Can we pretend that it is 1975 for a moment and look back on the history of the franchise?

Those films were “not” made at the best of the studio’s abilities. For one. The suit would sometimes fall apart and you could see that in many of the scenes before hand. Also have you seen son of Godzilla? That was pretty much thrown together. Also come on now Godzilla jumped the shark long ago when he fought various versions of himself. But somehow running alongside kong is the thing that is “cartoonish”

But if we are talking ridiculous here. King of the monsters was just as stupid. King ghidorah causing world wide hurricanes, Godzilla turning red and shooting mothra energy out his body. The monsters Bowing to him. But that one scene was the thing that got you guys to say “yea this is kinda dumb” it’s been dumb for awhile. The franchise bounces from dumb to serious on a dime

Whats crazy about 2014, was the complaints were
1. Too Dark
2. Not enough G time.
3. Cranston dies too early.

The too dark thing is just people warching it on inferior screens, at home or the theater. I wont watch films in the theater unless its IMAX and calibrated. We saw Black Panther on a regular screen, and had no idea what was happening the first 10 minutes as it was an over contrasted gray mess.

2. G has the same screen time in 2014 as in G-1. And some of those scenes are some of the best G shots in ever filmed. Truely incredible shots.

3. Cranston...Man what a film it would have been with him as the lead the whole time. But I believe other commitments made that impossible.

Its really really underated.
As far as KOM, I can watch Rodan rise, and Ghidorah rampages all day, the in between is almost unbearable to witness....GvsK was even worse in that regard.
The movie should have been a whole lot better than it was. The comic con trailer promised a very horror like take on the character and a force of nature tyoe villian. What we got was generic bug monsters and cutaway scenes. Also if you are heavily promoting Cranston as your main lead it’s kinda dumb to kill him off in the first 20 min

The movie should have been a whole lot better than it was. The comic con trailer promised a very horror like take on the character and a force of nature tyoe villian. What we got was generic bug monsters and cutaway scenes. Also if you are heavily promoting Cranston as your main lead it’s kinda dumb to kill him off in the first 20 min
:exactly: :lecture :exactly:

Oh yeah that first trailer with the shelter doors closing in front of him like he was the sole monster and villain. Too bad, they had a shot at doing their own definitive GMO and they blew it.
No this is the one

Back