Godzilla Minus One - December 1, 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a recent interview.

'GODZILLA MINUS ONE' Director Details Godzilla's Mutation Within a recent interview with HJWeb, 'Godzilla Minus One' Director answered various spotlight questions in regards to Godzilla and the film.

Q: "The juvenile's body on Odo Island, had not yet been affected by radiation, right?"

Director Takashi Yamazaki: "Correct. Godzilla has been affected by radiation since Operation Crossroads in Bikini Atoll, but before that, Godzilla was unaffected by radiation and his regenerative ability was unrelated to radiation. They[Godzilla's kind] are ordinary creatures, or rather monsters, that have nothing to do with radiation, and have extremely strong regenerative abilities. However, during Operation Crossroads, his skin was burnt by nuclear weapons and turned into a mess, but when he was regenerating it, he went out of control and became gigantic. [bitter smile]"

Godzilla had a stronger feminist message than Barbie. I said it!
Godzilla literally toppled the patriarchy with his tail. And what did those men do? They blew him up.
No matter how fast you run you can never catch up to a man- Godzilla probably

IMG_3368.jpeg

Just watched Minus Color and thought it was pretty effective for the most part, especially with the character scenes which always felt like something out of an old 50s movie anyway. But the big Godzilla sequences did come across a bit less visually impressive and epic, and I found myself really missing the color in those moments. And the CG-ness comes through stronger in black and white too for some reason.

Ultimately it was an interesting thing to see once, but not how I ever plan to watch the movie again.

Last edited:
Just watched Minus Color and thought it was pretty effective for the most part, especially with the character scenes which always felt like something out of an old 50s movie anyway. But the big Godzilla sequences did come across a bit less visually impressive and epic, and I found myself really missing the color in those moments. And the CG-ness comes through stronger in black and white too for some reason.

Ultimately it was an interesting thing to see once, but not how I ever plan to watch the movie again.
Strange. I find that some films with shoddy CGI look better in B&W.. I’m looking at you “The Mist”

Strange. I find that some films with shoddy CGI look better in B&W.. I’m looking at you “The Mist”
The CGI was far from shoddy in this. There were just some moments that stood out a bit more to me, like the CG waves and foam surrounding Godzilla as he chases the small boat for example. And it could also be that it's just harder to blend him into the world as well without the surrounding color and blue sky to work with.

Here is my minus color review.

Absolutely masterpiece should’ve been released this way from the beginning.

Literally the only single item that looked better in color was his piercing eyes while chasing the boat but that’s it because more importantly the overall Godzilla creature was 100% more frightening with no color and even more MORE importantly the character drama and emotions for some weird psychological reason hit harder in black-and-white.

This movie holds up perfectly even on my 3rd viewing scratch that it actually improved!

I would say that the only odd thing that stuck out for me was that when he walked into Noriko’s room in the hospital she doesn’t call out to the little girl and neither of the 2 include the little girl in their emotional hug lol

Masterpiece I can’t believe this is a freaking Godzilla movie.

It should have been nominated for best foreign film!

Idiots!

The score is also captivating.

Last edited:
I think this was snubbed, yeah. The effects are great, but the quality of the overall film is higher than that of the effects if that makes sense. It's a better movie than a VFX showcase (as it should be).

Back