Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you fellas! Maulfan, that poster I've had since I was like 4 years old when they sold them at Toys R Us lol I love that thing. Have the comic as well.

ok noob question time....

feel the urge to get a x-plus godzilla. my fav design is the hesei era but form what i see on ebay those are upwards of 500 bucks with the 89 up for preorder at 390, way to much for me. not a design i like alot but the cheapest i see is the sos version for 150. is that the lowest cost x-plus out right now? where do you guys get your x-plus, ebay?

want to get my feet wet with this line and not sure how to go about doin that w/o droppin huge cash, unless i settle for the sos.

almost got a 89 vinyl bank at comic con last weekend, it was the lack of details that made me pass and decide to get into x-plus.

The 89 is being re-released by diamond for about $140. Its the best hesei design imo and a great figure. Pre-orders will be taken soon so do not worry.

The 89 is being re-released by diamond for about $140. Its the best hesei design imo and a great figure. Pre-orders will be taken soon so do not worry.

ahhh nice yeah thats the one then. knowing i will get a hesei eventually will be great. may consider the sos to tide me over till then.

GS you are like my godzilla guru, cheers! :D :hi5:

I admit the sakai is better detailed and the face is better but im not digging the pose, nor the price. I prefer the original.

If the price is fine and you like the pose, the sakai will look more richly detailed.

Which do you prefer GS, the original 89 or the new Sakai 89?

For those up in the air about the Sakai '89, here's how it compares to the current X-Plus version. Evaluate for yourself, but for me, the Sakai blows the X-Plus out of the water. First, let me say that this is the built up resin model version of Sakai's '89. It was never 30cm, so there was no shrinkage when they switched to vinyl. This comes in around 28-29cm. Second, the stance of the Sakai isn't much different than the current X-Plus version. The tail goes in the same direction on both, and only the leading foot is different. The head on the X-Plus is too big and not quite the correct shape. The 89 is my absolute favorite design so I know it pretty well. I'm not saying Sakai's is 100% perfect, but it's pretty close. 001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG

Even with that comparison, I like the size of the diamond reissue, the texture, and the more straight forward stride (pose). Like I said, the details are definitely richer on the sakai, but I think the original will look better with my collection. Where the leap in quality is most different to me is that profile view, and he wont ever be on my shelf in that pose they all face forward. Might not be totally screen accurate, but the musculature and extra inch or so (plus half the price tag) make it a mildly easy choice in the other direction

You are correct, the texture is richer, but it is also at the same time, slightly exaggerated. In defense of the Sakai, because it has a lot of weathering, the texture doesn't show up as well on the photos. Resin produces great detail. Sometimes with vinyl, the exaggeration is necessary to keep the detail.

One other thing about the weathering on my Sakai, it is opposite to the effect normally used. It is painted as if the dust and dirt has settled into the cracks and crevices as opposed to hilighting the raised areas, more real to life. The dark crevices on the vinyl make it stand out a little more. Just trying to point out that there is plenty of detail in the Sakai for anybody who is interested.

One other thing about the weathering on my Sakai, it is opposite to the effect normally used. It is painted as if the dust and dirt has settled into the cracks and crevices as opposed to hilighting the raised areas, more real to life. The dark crevices on the vinyl make it stand out a little more. Just trying to point out that there is plenty of detail in the Sakai for anybody who is interested.
I didnt realize that was the kit. Your own?

Don't get me wrong, he looks flawless from this angle:

a9059314bf53b4be42b4436ed5a51bb0.jpg

I can never display him that way he takes up too much space. But thats the suit. I just think for the price they want, the first looks more dynamic.

Back