GIMLI Customs...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timeline chainmail is rubber.

I have the DiD figures and at least 1, maybe 2 Toybiz Gimli's and have been searching all weekend for them to no avail. But I seem to remember that the TB Gimli has the much better headsculpt. He'll be too short to mix well with the SSC hobbits and humans though. As soon as I find both DiD and TB I'll be putting together an amalgam "best of" Gimli.

So if SSC were to make one - would you be okay with leg and wrist extensions? Or would you want them to do a whole new body for Gimli?

So if SSC were to make one - would you be okay with leg and wrist extensions? Or would you want them to do a whole new body for Gimli?

Whatever it takes to get one made! I'd be fine with extensions.

And if you do find your Gimlis, can you please post pics of the figures side by side BEFORE you Frankenstein them?

Nothing to add right now but this is what this hobby is about-sharing the info and getting the best made. I don't just like to click the buy now button and wait for 'it' to arrive.

Nothing to add right now but this is what this hobby is about-sharing the info and getting the best made. I don't just like to click the buy now button and wait for 'it' to arrive.

I much prefer pressing the "buy now" button and waiting. Nothing I ever customize is ever good enough. At least if it's store bought, then I can justify it as being good enough for a commercial product.

question about the toybiz Gimli....... are there two versions? one in a blue box and another in a green box? :confused:

I think there's one in his coronation clothing. One is from FotR and the other is from RotK.

I got the one in the green box.

Looking on eBay, I don't see a difference. Get whichever one you can get for the cheapest.

Here's Gimli's face for those thinking about this figure:

GIMLI1.jpg

I'll have pics up of the actual fig from the box later today for those curious to see him in more detail.

These figure's prices are jumping up quickly. One just sold today for $21 without shipping. Last week they were selling for $10 or less.

Yes, it's very heavy paint from the Faramir factory...:)

But the sculpt is quite nice, better than I was expecting. And the arched eyebrow with that one big eye really gives him some character.

The thing I don't like so much is the sculpt of the beard -- its very smooth and sweeping, more like an animated look than a real scraggily beard, and its a wee bit short. In that instance the DiD is better. But DiD has the helmet sculpted on, and the beard is so heavily textured that you lose all the tails and details that you can see clearly with the TB sculpt. Also, I would imagine that the TB shorter beard allows for a little more movement on the shoulders.

While the DiD has a lot more going for it, I actually prefer the body and sculpt of the ToyBiz version. The DiD looks too square-ish, for lack of a better term.

But while the ToyBiz version is probably closer to 1/6th scale, because of the oversize of the SS Hobbits, the DiD height would look better. I will be adding a slight extension to the ToyBiz Gimli legs, if possible.

Just nabbed a DID Gimli for $18.95 using BUY IT NOW! :rock

Now I just need the Toybiz Gimli and I'll bash the 2 together to make the ultimate Gimli. From the posts by kuzeh here:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums...ad.php?t=43945

and Mudshark here:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums...t=43945&page=3

It looks like the DID Gimli is the perfect size...but the Toybiz has the better head sculpt and maybe a few other little things (gauntlets, boots...)

Thus I think I'll go along Darklord Dave's path and make an ultimate Gimli using parts of both! :D

Grabbed a DiD Gimli thanks to Indiana Fett! Now I have both and can try making the "Ultimate Gimli.":lol But I am going to wait and see what some of you experienced customizers do with these.:D

Back