GIMLI Customs...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got to put that in the CUSTOMS THREAD here! That's excellent!

Is that the DiD Gandalf outfit? Is that a GG head? Or is it a total custom? I know the staff is from DiD...but the tunic looks different.

I think that's the 12" Tobiz Gandalf head...

That Gandalf the White looks amazing!

It does!!

I can't remember who did the customs or what site I found them on. He also had a recipe on how to make him. I'll link it if I can. I thought he used a Dml body, did clothes and toybiz rotocast hs. I also saw one on a horse but ca't find the picture.

Here's the rotocast and toybiz cloth Gimli. Same hs but the rotocast is slightly smaller.

gimli.jpg
[/IMG]

If your looking for the hs pick up a cheap rotocast. Imo that did does'nt cut it.

I picked up a DiD Gimli this week for $US15 :chew.... of course I then had to ship it from the US to Australia :banghead

Damn! These DiD figs seem to be everywhere I'm NOT looking.

BTW, for those doing a Gimli custom -- remember: DiD headsculpt has a fixed (sculpted) helmet -- ToyBiz has a removable helmet.

Here's a compare for size I did - sorry to whomever I borrowed this pic from:

Sizecompare.jpg

Looks like the ToyBiz Gimli is the correct height... it's the SS Hobbits that may be too tall. DiD I think will be too tall, unless you crouch him up.

The ToyBiz headsculpt looks better -- although the beard on the DiD may be a better length. In either case, a repaint would be most adviseable.

Again, ToyBiz head is on the small size -- not by much and only compared to the slightly large Hobbits relatively -- but you get a removeable helmet.

DiD has a superior outfit and multiple weapons.

Pros and cons are up to each.

If anyone has both DiD and ToyBiz, it would be great to see them stacked up next to Aragorn or some SS LOTR figure. Maybe with the Hobbits too, just so we can all see.

The ToyBiz still looks a little small to me. The DiD may be half a head too tall, but that works okay for me, I can pose him so that it won't be so noticeable. I want him to be clearly taller and wider than the hobbits, and the DiD body is that. I stripped Gimli down and plan to bulk up his legs with some foam to give him a more tank-like appearance.

A word of warning to anyone who's planning to get the DiD figure: the hauberk is painted silver, and the metallic powder comes off and gets into the cloth of his costume. It's a pain to remove completely. I got most of it off with sticky tape, but there are still tiny bits that sparkle in good light. I'm gonna vacuum the hell out of it and see if that doesn't remove the rest. After that I'm going to spray the hauberk with a fixative. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll just have to replace it. :(

Thought so. Nabbed it on the Bay for $16 (wasn't labelled as DiD).

Yep, I just got one from that same seller last night,
I did a search as Gimli only, and when I saw it I bought it right away!!
I already have the Toy Biz one, but a few bits and pieces need an upgrade...
And Gimli looks slightly taller in this pic:
5206884_std.jpg

Would you guys mind sharing the name of that ebayer, by any chance? I'd really like to pick up one more DiD Gimli if possible, to make a weathered, battle-worn version. Thanks for your help! :cool:

Is this ToyBiz FOTR Gimli exactly the same as the ROTK one? Seems that way, but I couldn't find any confirmation.

Back