GI Joe custom contest at the One-Sixth Xpo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they changed the figure significantly I think its a little bit ok that they enter the item in a contest.

I always thought entering a contest should be based on your own merit.

Should have just been there as an exhibit and not an entry to a contest, but I digress, not a criminal offense or anything.

No but maybe at least through out some credit where credit is due. I guess it's more or less the principle than the principal. :dunno

The lines can be blurred. Is kit bashing a figure from a bunch of parts a custom? What if you source a bunch of parts from like 3 different customizers to put 1 figure together...whose custom is that? What if it's 80% stock and 20% custom? Too much grey area for "contests", IMO. These things should just be "showcases".

I didn't know whose stuff that was, btw, so I didn't mean to stir anything up.

To me that zartan is still pretty much mine.
He changed some bits, to me he should changed the belt, seing that weathered belt with his all new shiny pants is really weird.

But why buy a custom fig and chnaged it?

The lines can be blurred. Is kit bashing a figure from a bunch of parts a custom? What if you source a bunch of parts from like 3 different customizers to put 1 figure together...whose custom is that? What if it's 80% stock and 20% custom? Too much grey area for "contests", IMO.

I have this conservation constantly with some friends here on the board, technically it is.... it's just that there are several degrees/levels of customizing.

Is kit bashing a figure from a bunch of parts a custom?

To me it is yes, it isn't just using a bunch of parts.

This is the early base, right after all those parts are modded and tunred into soemhting else. This is what makes the figure a custom to me.
It isn't just simply kitbashing.

The lines can be blurred. Is kit bashing a figure from a bunch of parts a custom? What if you source a bunch of parts from like 3 different customizers to put 1 figure together...whose custom is that? What if it's 80% stock and 20% custom? Too much grey area for "contests", IMO. These things should just be "showcases".

I didn't know whose stuff that was, btw, so I didn't mean to stir anything up.

I would imagine, there're some stipulations to these contests. Technically, adding kneepads to a figure make it a custom as it's now different from the original. But I'm betting the rules state that the majority of the figure (51%+) must be customized. But then you get into other areas from basic kitbashes (just buying stuff to combine together to complete your idea), to minor mods like making gear work by adding, subtracting, gluing, or dremmeling wrists to fit hands, etc., to paints, to sculpted pieces and figures that are 100% custom from body, to sculpts to wardrobe.

Yeah, you wouldn't get many entries if you stipulated that all the items had to be hand made all the way down to squashing berries to make red pigment and weaving fabric off of a goat's back or something. :lol

Well those are figure I sold.

The zartan was different though, the buyers made some changes.
I like my version better. lol

IMG_6028.jpg

Yeah, that trumps the Show one.

Yeah, I understand the switch to the Royce/Wolverine bod, but curious why they went with purple. :lol

I'm thinking someone had Mindbender legs on their Zartan as a kid.:dunno

^^^ Roadpig custom :lecture

I'm mad at you for not enterning. :tap

:monkey3

The contest was very informal. I dont think there were many, if any, stipulations. I pretty sure I could have entered a SS Snake Eyes with a body switch and they would have accepted it. And since the people attending the show were the ones that voted, and him being the most popular, I think it would have won.

The contest was very informal. I dont think there were many, if any, stipulations. I pretty sure I could have entered a SS Snake Eyes with a body switch and they would have accepted it. And since the people attending the show were the ones that voted, and him being the most popular, I think it would have won.

:monkey1:monkey1:monkey1:monkey1:monkey1 They can do an "attendee favorite" or something, but having people judge stuff they're clueless about never works. :(

I would imagine, there're some stipulations to these contests. Technically, adding kneepads to a figure make it a custom as it's now different from the original. But I'm betting the rules state that the majority of the figure (51%+) must be customized. But then you get into other areas from basic kitbashes (just buying stuff to combine together to complete your idea), to minor mods like making gear work by adding, subtracting, gluing, or dremmeling wrists to fit hands, etc., to paints, to sculpted pieces and figures that are 100% custom from body, to sculpts to wardrobe.

Me and a buddy started calling these type customs Lazy Bastard Customs or LBC's!!! That is where nothing is painted or changed, just stock parts swapped.

lazycustom.JPG

Oh, the drama....:rolleyes2

Yes, it is Seb's Zartan.

Yes, he was given credit, though there wasn't anywhere to write it. I still let people know verbally.

And this Zartan was a "filler" because there were not enough entries for G.I. Joe.

I still have all of the original parts that Seb made. ;)

Back