GI JOE 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GI JOE 25th Anniversary

ZARTAN WAS THE ONE WHO KILLED SERPENTOR IN THE ORIGINAL MARVEL GIJOE SERIE...

ZartankillsSerpentor.jpg

Everyone loves Snake-Eye & Storm Shadow..but he's the one who changed their clan Forever by killing the Hard Master...

Zartan.jpg

IMG_0127.JPG

That is an awesome looking Zartan! Too bad the card art is so poor. I'm definitely planning on picking up both 5-packs and will cherry pick the choicest single carded figures. Snake-Eyes w/wolf, Firefly, and Beach Head are at the top of the list.

I also love how companies never fully follow the card art, even when it's staring them in the face. Zartans chest emblem went from Red to Black, and the Skull belt buckle shrank. Yeah the card art is not as appeasing but I wonder what the original sketches of him looked like, maybe this is one of them?

If Sideshow or Hot Toys ever picked up the license for 12" Joes and Cobra.... that would officially bankrupt me. (as if i'm not bankrupt from all the cool toys already!) If it's not Jabba the Hutt it's Pirates!

All the 25th Anniversary card art paintings are NOT the originals, most however are BASED on the originals.

Many have had minor tweaks such as changing a weapon (Flint's card art was changed to show him carrying the shotgun he is included with) or changing the actual character design (The 25th Anniv. Version 2 Snake Eyes card art is modified to show the character with boots instead of the little ankle straps the original card art and figure had).

Though most are based on the original card art, the Serpentor and Zartan card art AND designs are COMPLETELY new. In fact, like I mentioned before with Serpentor. Even Zartan borrows a few design tweaks from Devil's Due Zartan design.Notably the gray/brown (black in the comics) shirt...

That Zartan and art suck, the original is loads better.

I think the new figure is a pretty good homage to the cartoon and original figure. They should have stuck with the bare arms and chest under the chameleon breast plate though.

zartan1a.jpg

I agree that the card art is horrendous, however.

That original Zartan art was better.

mbcard_zartan.jpg

I probably shouldnt say anything, but I dont know how anyone can say the originals are better than these superior new sculpts.I had over 150 joes back in the 80's and I am ready to get them all back,but this time with better sculpts.no question about it

I finally found one of these today. The individually carded Snake Eyes would not have been my fisrt choice, but it was either him or the individually carded Storm Shadow.

Thus far I'm very impressed.

I probably shouldnt say anything, but I dont know how anyone can say the originals are better than these superior new sculpts.I had over 150 joes back in the 80's and I am ready to get them all back,but this time with better sculpts.no question about it

I had almost 1000 of these guys at one time. The newer sculpt is better, but original Zartan design was much better looking. Most of the other figures so far look good. 84 Firefly was my favorite, nope he looks good!

I like the new sculpts but I do miss the feel of the old joe's you know that hard bake alight feel. Now they just feel like your average junk plastic like the typical action figs today.

I like the new sculpts but I do miss the feel of the old joe's you know that hard bake alight feel. Now they just feel like your average junk plastic like the typical action figs today.
Yeah man, they truly don't make them like they used to. Depending what they look in person, I may pick them up.

I had almost 1000 of these guys at one time. The newer sculpt is better, but original Zartan design was much better looking. Most of the other figures so far look good. 84 Firefly was my favorite, nope he looks good!

True that... Firefly's mold has held up well over time. I especially like this recent deco:

cufireflyfront.jpg

I hope they repaint the new mold in this scheme; it's the perfect "camouflage for Cobra" look.

Last edited:

The newer sculpt is better, but original Zartan design was much better looking.

After doing a side by side I definitely agree. I probably won't buy any of these that deviate noticeably from the original designs, no matter how well sculpted they may be. I like these for the nostalgia of the originals, if I want variant designs I might as well pick neon Tiger Force figures while I'm at it.

The figures that follow the original looks are all pretty cool for the most part. Snake-Eyes looks badass:

snakeeyes.jpg

hasbro082.jpg

I like the new Firefly too, it looks like they paid a nice homage to the original. You can even see that they included the walkie-talkie (its below the unpainted version):

7070_18965_3.jpg

117.jpg

I don't like the subtle differences in the card art though. Its pretty close but I thought it was going to be exactly the same as the original packaging like what they did with the VOTC Star Wars figures.

293.jpg

Last edited:

CobraEmpChair1.jpg

Is the red emblem Cobra Trooper going to be rare? He is only released in the 5 packs. Do they plan on re-issuing more Red emblem cobras? I know the new troopers are going to be silver

Just picked up both Joe and Cobra sets at Target today. They are awesome. Feels like 1982 again. Best year of the 80's.

I think these figures look great and yes, they will be bought.

With that being said, just a few minor things I noticed and I was just checking to see if anyone else noticed this, too.

1- On the card to Zartan that they showed it looks like it says in the kind of splash above the figure
COBRA ENEMY
which, if I remember, is incorrect.
On the original 1984 package for Zartan with Swamp Skier the splash says
ZARTAN ENEMY.
Why is this such a big deal? Well, not everyone who works with/for COBRA is a member of COBRA. Characters like Destro, Major Bludd, Zartan and his Drednoks work for COBRA but are not members of "THE ENEMY." Some, like Destro, just supply tanks and other weapons to COBRA, others like Zartan and Major Bludd are mercenaries who work for COBRA or against COBRA depending on the pay.
Characters like The Baroness, Firefly, Scrap-Iron, Storm Shadow, Scar-Face, Copperhead, Wild Weasel, etc. are members of COBRA, hence, on their card the splash says
COBRA ENEMY.

2- The background of Joe Storm Shadow has the earlier explosion background used from 1982 to 1985. The original 1988 version of the Storm Shadow turned good figure has the digital background first started in 1986.

Once again, no big deal, I will buy these figures and be happy. Just pointing out something that you lovers of RAH probably already know.

Back