Getting back into comics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I was shooting for. I don't think I listed anything before 2000.

At the same time, I never read comics when I was younger and 75% of my literacy is 21st century. :eek:

That's what I was shooting for. I don't think I listed anything before 2000.

At the same time, I never read comics when I was younger and 75% of my literacy is 21st century. :eek:

Oh my... Then you have missed out on some truly amazing reads.

The sad part is as amazing as some of those 60s and 80s Marvel reads were back in the day, I'm not sure how well a lot of it holds up today. You might have missed the boat. It might be like trying to enjoy a horror flick from the 50s or a thriller from the 70s. It tends to not fly the same way for first time readers.

Just this past week, I read a Kirby DC omnibus and the Deathlok Marvel Masterworks. Oy vey. The stories were so dated. It was quite hard to enjoy them. Then again, I also recently read vol 1+2 of the Dracula omnibuseseses and absolutely loved them.

Wouldn't somebody who is "getting back" into comics be more interested in newer titles? I assume that since the OP used to read comics, he is well aware of the many classics that have been listed in this thread. What's worth reading currently?

nothing marvel other than planet hulk & WW hulk. spidey is garbage, FF is garbage, avengers is pure crap..xmen is lost in a fog right now

the dark horse conan stuff i've been eyeing for a while. Seems like a lot of you guys say it's good, just might pick some copies up later today or tomorrow.

ANy good marvel stories you could suggest?

so far i know siege is good, but what's another great marvel storyline? can be old or new

If your going for Siege, you have to read the Dark Reign stuff. This lays the groundwork for siege, and most of it was really great. Especially Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers.

Osborne and his goons make for some entertaining stories for sure!

nothing marvel other than planet hulk & WW hulk. spidey is garbage, FF is garbage, avengers is pure crap..xmen is lost in a fog right now

DC has some interesting stuff going on. The current Batman arc is not my thing, but it may please somebody out there. I want to check out Straczynski's Superman, but I think I'll wait for the TPB at this point. I'm loving all three Green Lantern titles at the moment, but it really does seem to be winding down from the craziness that was the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night.

Speaking of recent GL, did any of you check out the Larfleeze Christmas special? So very awesome.

OP, just want to reiterate, "Chew" and "American Vampire" are awesome reads. Buy the recent graphic novels that collect 1-10. You won't regret it.

If your going for Siege, you have to read the Dark Reign stuff. This lays the groundwork for siege, and most of it was really great. Especially Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers.

Osborne and his goons make for some entertaining stories for sure!

I'll have to check that out then before i get Siege. thanks for the info!

DC has some interesting stuff going on. The current Batman arc is not my thing, but it may please somebody out there. I want to check out Straczynski's Superman, but I think I'll wait for the TPB at this point. I'm loving all three Green Lantern titles at the moment, but it really does seem to be winding down from the craziness that was the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night.

Speaking of recent GL, did any of you check out the Larfleeze Christmas special? So very awesome.

I got the Starczynski Superman: Earth One, IMO it's nothing great

Thought this could be relevant:

299.jpg

Beginning January 2011, DC Comics will implement a line-wide pricing adjustment, lowering the prices of all standard length 32-page ongoing comic book titles currently priced at $3.99 to $2.99.

"This announcement reaffirms DC Comics' commitment to both our core fans and to comic book store retailers," said Jim Lee, DC Comics Co-Publisher. "For the long term health of the industry, we are willing to take a financial risk so that readers who love our medium do not abandon the art form."

"As Co-Publishers, we listened to our fans and to our partners in the retail community who told us that a $3.99 price point for 32 pages was too expensive. Fans were becoming increasingly reluctant to sample new titles and long term fans were beginning to abandon titles and characters that they'd collected for years," said Dan DiDio, DC Comics Co-Publisher. "We needed a progressive pricing strategy that supports our existing business model and, more importantly, allows this creative industry to thrive for years to come. With the exceptions of oversized comic books, like annuals and specials, we are committed to a $2.99 price point."

Maybe Marvel will follow suit...

Thats cool. I've got two Batman subs coming from TFAW so hopefully they will be cheaper. My marvel stuff is already $2 an issue now.

The best thing you could probably pick up is the Preacher series. Amazing stuff.

Also:

Fables
Y: The Last Man
Criminal

and if you're looking for a super hero fix:

Planet Hulk
Brubaker Captain America
Fraction Iron Man

:lecture

Also The Dark Tower stuff from Marvel is great (first 3 volumes)

comics.jpg

Latest pick-ups. Everyone one of these is worth reader's time. Except maybe BW: Deadly Origin.

Last edited:
Back