Getting back into comics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keysta75

Super Freak
Reaction score
As the title stated. I want to get back into reading comics. What are some good comics to read and why? What do my fellow freaks recommend? Any info would be appreciated. New stuff old stuff it doesn't matter.

House of Mystery, Swamp Thing, House of Secrets, Tomb of Dracula, Vampirella, Weird War Tales, Haunt of Horror, Secrets of Haunted House to name a few. 70's horror comics of course!!

"Chew" - best comic out there right now. Once you read a couple of issues, you'll be hooked. Only on issue 16 of a planned 60 book run. Issues 1-10in an omnivore edition. Check out the reviews, not just my opinion. link

"American Vampire" is also pretty good.

"Locke and Key" seems to have fizzled out lately. The first story arc was great, check it out in graphic novel collecting maybe 5 or 6 issues.

And I don't care what anyone says, I enjoy Mark Millar's stuff. He's got a couple out now. "Kick Ass 2" which just started and "Nemesis" which is about half way through its run. "Superior" also just started, but I haven't read any yet.

Last edited:
Stuff I'm reading

The Invincible Iron Man
Ultimate Thor
Batman
Batman: The Dark Knight
GI Joe
Captain America

Honestly the art and stories in each really are better than anything I remember when I was a kid.

Agreed, comics today are fantastic. You pay for it though; at $3-$4, they don't come cheap anymore.

I would also recommend Marvels, Kingdom Come, Justice, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Batman Long Halloween, and Batman: The Killing Joke.

The classics of course like V for vendetta, Watchmen, Sandman are also a must have.

If I remember anymore i'll be sure to post back.

The Walking Dead
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Geoff Johns' Green Lantern
Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman
Seven Soldiers of Victory by Grant Morrison
Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid
Batgirl 1-74 (Cassandra Cain)

These are must reads!

516ffkZ%2BVmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51DroZ7R4KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41i-G89NYiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51%2Bwfis4NDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Each one is about 70 bucks on Amazon....well worth the price. They are beautifully designed.

I wanna thank everyone for their replies. I will look into everything suggested. If anyone else have anymore comic book suggestions please don't hesitate.

There is a 'comics' thread in this section somewhere but,

Morning Glories, Walking Dead, IZombie, X-23

Going to modify Keysta's question for myself here but can anyone help me with great Hellboy TPB's? This is the list I found on Wikipedia for his TPB's. If some are like the films then I might pass on those (blasphemy to some of you I'm sure) but I would like to read some of his other great stories.

THANKS!

Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction (art by Mike Mignola, script by John Byrne, October 1994)
Hellboy Volume 2: Wake The Devil (by Mike Mignola, colors by James Sinclair, separations by Dave Stewart, letters by Pat Brosseau, June 1997)
Hellboy Volume 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (by Mike Mignola, colors by Dave Stewart, letters by Pat Brosseau, August 1998)
Hellboy Volume 4: The Right Hand of Doom (by Mike Mignola, colors by Dave Stewart, letters by Pat Brosseau, April 2000)
Hellboy Volume 5: Conqueror Worm (by Mike Mignola, colors by Dave Stewart, letters by Pat Brosseau, February 2002)
Hellboy Volume 6: Strange Places (by Mike Mignola, April 2006)
Hellboy Volume 7: The Troll Witch and Others (by Mike Mignola, October 2007)
Hellboy Volume 8: Darkness Calls (story & cover by Mike Mignola, art by Duncan Fegredo, May 2008)
Hellboy Volume 9: The Wild Hunt (story & cover by Mike Mignola, art by Duncan Fegredo, March 2010)
Hellboy Volume 10: The Crooked Man and Others (by Mike Mignola, June 2010)

keysta, since you're looking for a Leonidas, I would suggest picking up the 300 graphic novel if you haven't already read it.

41fwOpEgVWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Hellboy/BPRD - Brilliant writing, beautiful art, and Dave Stewart is a color god!!!
The Walking Dead - Kirkman writing... enough said
The Goon - Eric Powell is f-ing awesome!!! Over the top humor and violence with a great story to boot
Invincible - Kirkman writing
Powers - Not your typical superhero book... SOOOOO underrated
Chew - Cibopath... Google it!!!
Proof - A blend of BPRD and the X-Files
Haunt - Greg Capullo art and Kirkman writing

Back