Get Smart

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This topic can only be discussed under the cone of silence.

cone-of-silence.jpg

And the rape of my childhood is complete. . .

Kinda OT but in keeping with the spy theme.
Oh dear God when will it end?

https://www.robertvaughn.com/hollywoodreporter.html

Lindsay Dunlap and her Ember Entertainment Group have acquired the feature film rights to the 1960s television series "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." Under the deal, which Ember struck with series producer Norman Felton of Arena Prods., Dunlap hopes to produce an updated feature film based on the series, which ran on NBC from 1964-68. "U.N.C.L.E." centered on Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn) and Illya Kuryakin (David McCallum), the two agents of the United Network Command for Law Enforcement (U.N.C.L.E.) who teamed on various adventures to fight evil, namely a group of bad guys called Thrush. Ember's Dunlap plans to take the project out to studios shortly. The project is not Ember's first foray into the remake world. The company is in business with DreamWorks Pictures on a redo of the 1956 MGM sci-fi feature "Forbidden Planet." Ember's Dunlap will produce along with Richard Saperstein, now a production topper at Artisan, who shepherded the project during his tenure at New Line Cinema...

personally i dont care for any remakes of old tv shows. the get smart remake wont thrill me. dont even know if ill see it personally. i love the show cuz of don adams period. i hear in this movie 86 is portrayed as a bumbling clutz who gets out of every jam with luck or gets saved by the much more confident 99. adams version of 86 was kinda clutzy yes, but he was very confident at had a huge ego problem. and he didnt win with luck. he would jump into fights with 4 or 5 thugs and just kick their asses. or he'd fool them with the ol' gun in the phone trick or the ol' fake neck trick(if he was being strangled). plus you cant beat the scene in the "a man called smart" 3 parter when 86 pretends to be unconcious so KAOS hauls him away on a stretcher. but the only way out of the building is through a revolving door. watch for yourselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6EJ3MS8ASQ

I'm just hoping that since it's been so long since I've seen the show I won't know enough to not like it. Unless its just really stupid or something. After I've seen it maybe I'll give in and get the Time Life set. One of the things I dislike about buying TV shows on DVD is I find I rarely ever have the time to go back and watch them after an initial marathon.

I'm just hoping that since it's been so long since I've seen the show I won't know enough to not like it. Unless its just really stupid or something. After I've seen it maybe I'll give in and get the Time Life set. One of the things I dislike about buying TV shows on DVD is I find I rarely ever have the time to go back and watch them after an initial marathon.
just watch a bunch of clips on youtube if you think the show might not have the "magic" anymore. sure beats buying something you might not find entertaining. is every episode a winner? probably not. there are some duds especially in the last season when adams was being kinda "difficult" from what i hear. is it "drop dead, bust your gut, oh my god i cant breathe funny"? not all the time. they reuse a lot of jokes from episode to episode. i just love it cuz its entertaining and makes me smile and laugh. i love old TV. it takes me back to those halcyon days. this show and the "Honeymooners Classic 39" are seriously the best things that ever happened to my DVD collection. ive got more TV than movies in by DVD collection by far.

Sorry, I was referring to not liking the movie. I'm sure I'll still like the show, nostaligia alone ensures that. But I thin the show itself is enough that I will enjoy it.

Sorry, I was referring to not liking the movie. I'm sure I'll still like the show, nostaligia alone ensures that. But I thin the show itself is enough that I will enjoy it.
sorry my bad.:eek:

here's another of my favorite clips from the episode "kiss of death". quality is kinda bad on this one. i think the poster taped it off of TV. stick with it cuz the punchline is at the very end.:lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WFAhhG64Vs

Not your fault, I was the one being unclear with my pronouns. That was a funny clip, I really hope the movie is good and sticks with the show well because the show is just awesome.

Anyone else see this movie yet? I found it very funny and would recommend it to anyone. There were a lot of nods to the old series but don't worry if you haven't seen it because you will still enjoy it a lot.

The girlfriend and I saw this last night and as a fan of the old series I LOVED it. Steve Carell didnt try to be Don Adams, he tried to be Max Smart and succeeded. I also really liked the "museum" with the props from the original show..oh and the mention of working on HYMIE.

I dated a girl who could play Anne Hathaway's double. Too bad she's a two timing "fill in the blanks."

We're trying to be friends right now, but I find it very hard. Everytime I see Anne I see her... ugh. Anyway, good movie! Hugely over the top, and a lot of scenes that make you go, "What?!", but definitely was better than I expected.

I absolutely LOVED it. But I don't think I'd have enjoyed it half as much if I hadn't been such a huge fan of the old show.

SPOILERS

I liked that they smartened up Max. Even as a child I couldn't believe that such a beautiful and competent agent like 99 would fall for such an idiot. Carrell plays it perfectly though. And the Bernie Koppell cameo was perfect.

Back